Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting near Cancun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nevo

PostMon Apr 17, 17 3:46 pm    Kiting near Cancun Reply with quote

Just found out we are headed to a friends wedding 2.5 hours south of Cancun (town of Tulum) in November this year. Definitely would like to stay a few weeks and bring the kites. Anyone know of solid spots down there? We want to visit Holbox Island while we are down and I'm sure there's kiting to be found.

If you know good snorkling down day spots I would also be stoked to hear about them.

Thanks!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 17, 17 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of threads on this site for both of those locations. A bunch of great information.

Try the "Search" function on this forum.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Apr 18, 17 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Tulum ! kite there

wind might peak sun up for a few hours and sunset - could be good all day

shoot some fish when the wind is light

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Apr 18, 17 10:31 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Lots of threads on this site for both of those locations. A bunch of great information.

Try the "Search" function on this forum.

Word! Learn to use the search function. Very helpful and a vast wealth of info. That said here is a recent post/bone for you:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-41067.html

I've only been in the Cancun area twice. Once in '08 for T-giving and again in '14 for T-giving. Both times my family and I stayed at a big all-inclusive resort about 45 min south of Cancun proper. In '08 there were 2 days of light wind kiting available/big kite kiting--19m C kite or 14m-17m Turbine. . .

So last visit I almost brought my gear, had the deceiver bag and all and decided hours before my flight that I didn't want to risk the added fare in the event I was caught with my gear; and for mowing the lawn light wind kiting so I thought. Murphy's Law... it blew 6 out of the 7 days I was there. 2 12m days, the rest were 9m days and maybe even 7m at times. And I had food and drink service (all inclusive) right at the beach--post session drinks delivered on the spot. What a waste as my suite was about 50 yards from the water! It was all chop and no waves as the outer reef was/is probably 1 mile + where there probably are some waves; if one ever ate it one who be cut up pretty badly and very far off shore.

So it is hit-and-miss down there. I'd say overall it is a pretty light wind area. Foil boards wipe the slate clean and a new rules in effect.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: