Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding Buddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
2BInfinite

Since 01 Mar 2016
8 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Kook

PostFri Apr 07, 17 1:31 pm    Kiteboarding Buddy Reply with quote

Beginning kiter here. 25. Vancouver, WA. Looking for a buddy to go out with and practice. I'm still learning to get on the board and need to go out and practice flying this year!
-Briz

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 08, 17 3:11 pm    Early Season Reply with quote

The season is just starting and the high water level will pose some challenges to beginners . I would probably wait patiently until the sand bar appeared hit up Hood River , you will have all kinds of kite buddies out there .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

BioDude83

Since 22 Aug 2015
43 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSun Apr 09, 17 3:18 pm    newbie Reply with quote

Agree with jonpnw. Also, I'd say you're better off going with someone who has been kiting a while.. rather than another newbie. One nice thing about the event site in summer is that there are plenty of experienced kiters who can lend a hand when you need it.

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostSun Apr 09, 17 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in Portland and kite a lot in Hood River or Sauvie/Jones. This season will be my fourth. Definitely down to help out. I'm teaching my GF this summer so I'll actually be doing a lot of beginner stuff early on. Send me a pm if you're interested.

bobdigital

Since 29 Aug 2016
67 Posts

PostSun Apr 09, 17 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not a beginner but i am looking for kite buddies. I live in Portland and work near the airport, so weekend coast/HR or weekday sauvie/stevenson/RR sessions with some kiters would be awesome! Ive found a lack of community around Pdx for kiters but maybe im looking in the wrong spots..

Cheers!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 10, 17 7:05 am     Reply with quote

A lot of Portland kiters coordinate using Sauvie Island kite group on fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435590560042254 (it's not exclusive to Sauvie, we kite in HR/Lyle/Jones/Coast on weekends, but stay around Sauvie or RR on weekdays due to driving).

@2BInfinite - if you have a bigger kite (12m+) than late weekday session at Sauvie is actually a pretty good way to learn the basics - lots of beach downwind, wide river, no crowds and very friendly kiters; btw. with any spot you go this summer just make sure not to go out further than you're willing to swim and be aware of the currents

Lkuand

Since 17 Feb 2016
2 Posts

PostMon Apr 10, 17 8:50 am     Reply with quote

Its my 3rd season. I live in Tigard and always looking for kiting buddies. PM sometime. Really looking forward to going to Jones beach. Its and excellent place to learn to kite.

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostTue Apr 11, 17 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Lkuand wrote:
Its my 3rd season. I live in Tigard and always looking for kiting buddies. PM sometime. Really looking forward to going to Jones beach. Its and excellent place to learn to kite.

Indeed. I love Jones. Bit of a drive but the wind is steady, the current's relatively slow, and the launch is perfect.

Nevo

PostMon Apr 17, 17 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

I'll be looking for buddies this season as well.

I'm new too. I haven't kited the gorge yet, just Squamish and La Ventana. I can ride, make transitions, stay up wind sometimes (I'm wondering if the river current will make it easier?), trying some baby jumps. I have 5m, 9m, 15m kites at the moment. Happy to meet up when the conditions get good. Just PM me for my number and then hit me up anytime.

Cheers,
Bryan

Wooddog395

Since 26 Jun 2016
11 Posts

PostThu May 04, 17 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in vancouver as well. Can't wait to start up again. This will be my second season. I go all the time try for twice a week Sunday Monday and some saterdays. I've been to Jones rooster sauvy that of witch we don't talk about and hood. Always looking for a buddy to cruse with wherever the wind is. I can ride stay up wind all the basic stuff working on jumping. Jones was my go to learning and still my fav. Hood on weekends to me is not even worth it. At Jones I can take my car right to set up self launch from ancore on car and ride in no time. From vancouver i think Jones is the fastest way to get into water. I'm going up to Jones Sunday hit me up if interested in meeting up. I have a 6 8 10 12 and 17 so I can go in any condition.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostFri May 05, 17 8:30 am    Hey, pm me and I'll Reply with quote

help ya,
Jones beach is a great place to start out. PM me and I'll connect with you to help you get started.
Make sure you know how to self rescue.

If you just show up in Hood River and make friends most people will help you out.

k.dogg

Since 10 Jun 2016
8 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 06, 17 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

hey! its my second season and i'd love to meet some new kiting friends. Did a lot of my learning at jones, stevenson and a few other places. Not a huge fan of HR at the moment, so many people...

let me know if you're heading out sometime, and i'll try to meet up!

karissa

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostTue May 09, 17 6:18 am    Hood River is a nice spot, but Reply with quote

It's crowded. The nice thing is that there are people who will help you. The trick is not to kook out. Ask questions before you launch. Most people are nice. Look for the ones that smile a lot and have dogs.
Some questions I love to hear:

!. What size kite are you gonna blow up? Usually a 10, but could be an 8.
2. Can you help me launch? Yes, let me get my lines done.
3. What can you tell me about the current and underwater features?
4. What's the best beer in Hood River? IPA's!

Don't let the crowds scare you off. Everyone out there was a kook once.

On another note if you need somebody to help you out. You may need a lesson.

Surprised)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: