Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arlington Launch Improvements
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 10, 17 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to mention this.

It is 27 miles from Rufus to Arlington. It took me approximately 25 minutes from the Rufus freeway exit to the time I was parked at the Arlington launch.

Considering that at Rufus you have to drive back to the launch site, then carry your gear back and forth from your car to the beach I figure it probably adds less than 20 minutes before you actually are on the water at Arlington vs Rufus.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostSat Mar 11, 17 12:14 am     Reply with quote

thanks for the photos and info!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 11, 17 3:23 am     Reply with quote

Thank You, John.
In one of the images (Arlington Walking Path) I'm seeing a wind sensor. Is that the iKite sensor? Or can I get that one for free? Oh.... and now lets campaign for an Arlington Cam.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Mar 11, 17 10:43 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Thank You, John.
Oh.... and now lets campaign for an Arlington Cam.

Thanks, John!!!

Yep, the Arlington Cam is the next step to making it a super pimpy water enthusiast spot. Especially if they are a cam like the SlingShot cam at HR; where one can control the view angle.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Mar 11, 17 11:41 am     Reply with quote

Cool update. Appreciate the beta and effort BigJohn. Thumb's Up

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostSat Mar 11, 17 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

"Thank You, John.
In one of the images (Arlington Walking Path) I'm seeing a wind sensor. Is that the iKite sensor? Or can I get that one for free? Oh.... and now lets campaign for an Arlington Cam."

Weatherflow has a contractual agreement with the Port of Arlington (thank you Peter Mitchell) and installed the sensor you see back in NOV 2014. We heard about the planned upgrades at that time and it is really cool to see them become a reality so soon. Should be a great spring / summer / fall out there...

STZZ

Since 06 May 2013
39 Posts
N.Couve

PostMon Mar 13, 17 10:58 am    Arlington Port KORARLIN5 Reply with quote

Arlington Port KORARLIN5 sensor is reading temperature only. Is there also a wind sensor? Time for maintenance?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORARLIN5

How well does the airport sensor correlate?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORARLIN2

Meadows til noon, Arlington til dark? As soon as the water gets abover 45F.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 13, 17 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Ikitesurf has a sensor for Arlington:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=216&siteID=7576

or

http://wx.ikitesurf.com/spot/151617?&activity=Kite&units_wind=mph&units_temp=f&units_height=ft&name=See%20this%20Station%20on%20new%20iKitesurf&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=ikitesurf.com&utm_campaign=widgetForecastTable

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 13, 17 11:52 am    Advanced Kite Launch Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
cgka wrote:

And a very important reminder that this is a challenging and advanced kite launch only for expert kiteboarders to use.

This is all great and I appreciate the efforts etc etc. I hope that what the cgka just said about gustiness and updrafts is posted on a sign out there.

I hope I'm wrong, but I smell kitemare coming this season.

A word to the wise...Until proven otherwise...
"Make no mistake" this kite launch (north or south approach) has very little margin for error. It may appear seductively safe and slick when watching a expert launch here but it is not time to promote this launch to anything but experts who understand the significant risks.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Mar 18, 17 7:40 pm    Re: Advanced Kite Launch Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
cgka wrote:

And a very important reminder that this is a challenging and advanced kite launch only for expert kiteboarders to use.

This is all great and I appreciate the efforts etc etc. I hope that what the cgka just said about gustiness and updrafts is posted on a sign out there.

I hope I'm wrong, but I smell kitemare coming this season.

A word to the wise...Until proven otherwise...
"Make no mistake" this kite launch (north or south approach) has very little margin for error. It may appear seductively safe and slick when watching a expert launch here but it is not time to promote this launch to anything but experts who understand the significant risks.

A few of us made our way out to Arlington today to try out the new launch.

I would have to agree that this is an advanced launch. There is a slight wind shadow due to the depth of the tunnel you walk through. Also, incoming wind experiences some turbulence from the jetty. These are all factors to be prepared for.

As I was going out my kite back-stalled slightly towards the rock face. Anyone launching/landing should be prepared for these factors and understand your available options for dealing with such challenges.

Also, coming in can be a bit uncomfortable if you don't have a plan. It is a small opening and there is riffraff and occasional small shore break from the river.

To add to this you have a continuous stream of windsurfers in the mix. Timing your entry and exit is imperative to success.

In my opinion this launch is considerably more difficult than either Rufus or the Event site. Perhaps more in line with the difficulty of Stevenson.

This being said I plan to continue to utilize this launch as it is a vast improvement upon the previous situation.

Now for the good stuff.
At times today the Swell was EPIC!!! There were moments (a few short glorious moments) with over head breaking swell similar to ocean break.

But.... There were logs everywhere (early season challenges). It was actually kinda scary out there. Huge logs floating around all through the swell. I remember thinking I wish I had a helmet. I would spend every available ounce of effort scanning the water for potential logs as I was surfing the swell.

Wind was pretty good. Mid twenty's to low 40's.

After hitting Arlington we migrated over to Rufus. I don't know why, at least while I was there Rufus was blown out. Not much swell, but HUGE river current. Another interesting tidbit is that Rufus did not experience the barrage of logs all over the river. I'm guessing this is due to it's proximity to the Dam.

The attached picture doesn't do the day justice.

p.s. On the way out of town I stopped by the deli/bar (unusual combination) on the far west side of town (an old recommissioned gas station). I was impressed with this place. I ordered a smoked brisket sandwich on a slightly buttered and then toasted bun. It was delicious!!!! Be sure to mention how much you appreciate their new water park for kiteboarders!

*edited to fix typos*

20170318 kitesurfing Arlington-small.jpg 

Last edited by bigjohn on Mon Mar 20, 17 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 20, 17 9:29 am    Launch water conditions... Reply with quote

1. Are there still those whopper leg breaking boulders below waterline, inside that bay, down under that crystal-clear chocolate froth?
2. What is the current like inside that bay?
3. Was the backhoe still onsite?
4. Considering that on the BIG days swell breaches over the west jetty of the boat basin and heavy spray will make it all the way across channel to the east point; do you think building up or out on that west cove wall would have much effect?

Image from S. Berry.

17352332_10212479197238682_8005499841106980038_n.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 20, 17 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Wow... with that image I think I'll wait for some foiler reviews. Might be worth the extra 1/2 hour drive and launch at Roosevelt. Of course, I don't arrive until after chocolate season.

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Mar 20, 17 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 20, 17 11:32 am    Re: Launch water conditions... Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
1. Are there still those whopper leg breaking boulders below waterline, inside that bay, down under that crystal-clear chocolate froth?
2. What is the current like inside that bay?
3. Was the backhoe still onsite?
4. Considering that on the BIG days swell breaches over the west jetty of the boat basin and heavy spray will make it all the way across channel to the east point; do you think building up or out on that west cove wall would have much effect?

Image from S. Berry.

I didn't notice issues with the current going in or out. I think the current affects windsurfers more than kiters. Kiters can use their kites to plow through the current even when off their boards.

This being said, if your kite goes down I doubt you could make your way into this cove. You would likely have to self rescue on some boulders (probably about a mile down river) so dress for the long haul if your kite goes down.

My technique going out was to minimize my time in the cove. As soon as I reached water I went into instant body drag mode. I made my way well clear of the boulders before attempting to get on my board.

Coming in I popped off my board about 20 feet from the boulders. Secured my board and just body drug in. I came in from the upwind side as I wanted to make sure I could keep my kite up high the entire time (I lined up with the West side of the ramp rocks) and just body drug downwind towards the cove.

I didn't notice any issues with rocks either however my technique is to keep my feet up until I'm ready to plant and walk.

I did not see the backhoe and my previous communication with the Port of Arlington led me to believe they were complete with the project. It would be nice to have a wider launch area.... but beggars can't be choosers.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 20, 17 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

One more good photo below.

20170320_145953.jpg 

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 10, 17 12:38 pm    Re: Arlington launch improvements Reply with quote

bajakinney wrote:
Local strapless queen, Cynthia Cynbad Brown, did the art and design of the Arlington billboard!

queen of mean?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Apr 10, 17 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

OK, so i am sure my reading comp is not so good.
You can launch either from the bay side, and then tack up wind to get into the river.

Or you can launch on the other side, directly on the river side, which appears to be pretty knarly because of numerous obstacles?

Thanks for clarifying.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 11, 17 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

I picked up another short fun session at Arlington today.

Still working out techniques for launches and landings.

Going out I still like the method of body dragging out a short ways, then get on my board past the rock line.

Coming in was a bit tricky because the wind became light and holey. I first attempted coming in via a body drag and my kite almost fell out of the sky. Also, the current was taking me faster upwind than my kite would pull back. I was having difficulties lining up with the landing spot while keeping my kite high.

So I tried a different approach:

I rode my board all the way up to about a foot from the water line, stepped off, grabbed my board all without stopping and then quickly walked up the hill with my kite. This technique worked great. Having the additional speed from riding my board in allowed me to better control my kite in the lulls. Once I was on land I was able to hike up the upwind path such that I was able to keep tension on my kite.

----------------------

Other lessons learned...
I landed my buddy's kite in the hole. This doesn't work out well for a few reasons:

1) As soon as I grabbed his kite I had to pull him in (he couldn't touch yet). Also, the current was pulling him west quickly. I had to pull him in quickly in a South East direction to keep him in the path line.

2) Landing the kite in the hole is not as easy because the kite loses wind once it crosses the wind line.

3) We were the only two people there, but as the season progresses there will likely be other kiters and windsurfers in the hole. Navigating around others while pulling someone in could be challenging.

It makes sense to me that the person grabbing the kite should stay on the upper level (kind of like Stevenson). When a kiter comes in they quickly navigate through the hole making sure to keep their kite up high.

The challenge then comes down to how the kiter will wrap up his/her lines and get to his/her kite. It would be nice if there were some stairs in the middle between the two layers.

One thought is that the person holding the kite walks in the same direction (either East or West) as the kiter such that both can walk along the paths until they meet.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: