Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on traveling to Hawaii w/ kites
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 18, 17 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I flew Hawaiian last monday. It was a longer story than this but to sum... She just assumed it was "surf gear" I said I wanted to call it golf gear. She said ok. But the guy that inspects the bags yelled out and said" just golf nothing else" she yelled back" just golf" so I think it depends who you get. But they are onto it. FYI I had two clubs in the bag.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSat Mar 18, 17 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Usually going back they never count surfboards. So you can get 3 or 4 boards in a coffin and get charged 75 bucks if it's under 50 pounds. They seem to always open the bag in pdx and count your boards. Last May it was 250 for 4 boards and bag was 49 pounds. I think it is 35 for every extra board on website.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun Mar 19, 17 6:09 am    Wrap your boards good and use a big suitcase. Reply with quote

I wrap two boards of similar size in one bag.

Make sure to wrap your board well. I use some cheap pipe wrap and blocks of foam on tip and tail.

Take some solar rez and fiberglass cloth left overs for just incase you get a rail smashed.

*camping~if you rent a van there are places you can get away with camping.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 19, 17 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

Just got back a week ago. Worst wind in 20 years per the local brethren. 2 days out of the last 40 you could have descent wind. Had a great south swell then a north swell double over head and got pounded. Lanes was sick:-)!!

Traveling. - curb side check in. If you can't follow this rule don't waste your time. Tip the curbies and they will make it all right and they don't need to weigh your bag to say it's good. Just don't go heavy as we all know what happens. I carry one golf ball and my putter. Who defines my golf game although it's a scratch handicap:-)

Kanaha and ka'a point are all good now. Homeless are cleaned out and it's a great vibe agai. Take the time to hang with the families and their kids. So fun to play and we helped rebuild the rope swing at ka'a point which makes a good time when your bored!!

Have fun clean your shit up and don't be a double. Slow down this ain't the mainland!!!

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 19, 17 10:46 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Just got back a week ago. Worst wind in 20 years per the local brethren. 2 days out of the last 40 you could have descent wind.

You're telling me. In 7 days I've pumped my 14 a total of 5 times. Rode for maybe 10 minutes barely on plane. Tomorrow looks promising. Fingers crossed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: