Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

help with SUP#2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 27, 17 11:11 am    help with SUP#2 Reply with quote

hey guys/girls,
I am thinking about buying a new SUP. I have a great all around SUP already, that let's me ride in the river, and surf it a little too. it's 10'6" and heavy, and turns slow when I surf.

I was thinking of getting something under the 10' range (I also have a small car) that is more aimed at surfing than river riding (but still able to do both). I'd like something stable enough that if I put someone else on it in the river, they won't hate me, but i don't mind it being a little wobbly (my other is super stable).

I'm not a great surfer, but like the long board style ride, slow and a few turns here and there, maybe even learn to cut back once in a while. Does anyone have any experience on SUPs enough to hand me a few models to investigate?

of course, i've been all over naish.com, but i'd love some input. i also plan on demoing what i can find, but there's not always the best selection to take out and try.

lengths, tail styles, etc... is really what i'm looking for!

btw, i'm 5'6" and 140lbs

thanks in advance!

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 27, 17 12:00 pm    River SUP Reply with quote

Check out Badfish SUP

I don't think you can really have one board that does both surf and downriver SUP well, just my opinion--and I have 3-4 boards.

You want a 6-7 foot board (or less) for surfing. And river surfing is unique, different from ocean surfing. Badfish Riversurfer 6'11" is a classic, but now that I'm up and running I'm looking for smaller, thinner boards. I know lots of girls who rock that board, fyi

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Feb 27, 17 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm more familiar with the Starboard lineup, but Naish makes great SUPs too. Generally speaking, if you want a board that's fun in the surf, it is not going to track well on flat water (surf boards have more rocker). Since you already have a 10'6", maybe you want your next board to be more surf oriented. For your weight, these would be some good Starboard options. BigWinds sells Starboard in Hood River. Go for the lightest construction you can afford - light boards are MUCH more fun in the water and easier to carry. Starboard boards are bomber construction - really tough.

http://star-board-sup.com/2017/hard-board-overview/#surf-tab
Pocket Rocket 8'5" x 30", 131L
Wide Point 8'10" x 32", 140L

http://star-board-sup.com/2017/hard-board-overview/#innovation-tab
Hyper Nut 8'6" x 31.5", 132L
Hyper Nut 8'0" x 31.5", 133L

Once you get experienced, you would want to end up on the Pro Models - these are killer wave boards but a lot twitchier to stand on. Ridiculously light too.

http://star-board-sup.com/2017/hard-board-overview/#pro_performance-tab
Pro 8'0" x 28", 102L

These boards are expensive new, but there are plenty of good used ones around at more reasonable price points.

regards,
Bob

PS: I'm not affiliated with Starboard - just a big fan. I weight 165lb and have the Pro 8'5" x 29" - best board ever!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 09, 17 8:44 am    slingshot g-whiz? Reply with quote

has anyone tried the g-whiz?
they are advertising it as a good all around.
i like the 8'6" length, will fit on the top of my little car way better than my 10'6".
anybody ridden one? flat water? small - medium waves?
thanks!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Mar 09, 17 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Hey Tiny,

I haven't tried the G-whiz but I don't think you need that much width or that much board. I have the 2015 9'0" Rant and I have a 9'5" Naish Mana. The Mana is noticeably more stable but slower (width=slow) once you get on a wave face. I'm 6'0" 190lbs though...at your size I think you could go with an 8'0". There's all kinds of techniques to manage the reduced stability. On my recent trip to Sayulita, these guys were out with full-on sinkers!

--WS

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 10, 17 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Hey Tiny,

I haven't tried the G-whiz but I don't think you need that much width or that much board. I have the 2015 9'0" Rant and I have a 9'5" Naish Mana. The Mana is noticeably more stable but slower (width=slow) once you get on a wave face. I'm 6'0" 190lbs though...at your size I think you could go with an 8'0". There's all kinds of techniques to manage the reduced stability. On my recent trip to Sayulita, these guys were out with full-on sinkers!

--WS

aha, good to know! i was thinking the g-whiz looked really big. i was also looking at the 8'10" mana. i'm shooting for something under 9' if i can find something decently stable. so do you think you like the rant better? slingshot advertises them as full on surf machines, i was a little worried i wouldn't be able to hit any flat water on it. thoughts? i have been looking at the 8'6" rant as well.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Mar 11, 17 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Not sure what you'd be worried about in terms of "hitting flat water". On a smaller, surfier board, you're not going to set any speed records but you can definitely get around. When surfing you still have to operate in the flat water in between waves.

The Mana is going to be more stable at the same length as the Rant since the Rant design is narrower and lower volume. I don't think they make an 8'0" Mana but I think something just like that would be perfect for your next board.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 19, 17 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

ended up getting the 8'10" mana. the shorter one isn't available anymore, but it sounds like this board is going to be a good next board for me!

I also went all out and got one of these

https://kahunacreations.com/collections/cruiser-longboards/products/shaka-sua-46-x-14-longboard-complete

with the kahuna stick.

pretty damn fun to landboard around my neighborhood!

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Mar 24, 17 10:46 am    surf sup Reply with quote

If you want a more maneuverable SUP, check out jblairsurf.com (Solano Beach, CA)
His boards have an excellent rockerline for surf.
If you don't have one of his boards, he recommends changing your 2 +1 fin configuration, remove the center fin, and install the biggest side fins that you can find, to make it a twin. I did this on my 11' non-Blair SUP (heavy) and the board turns better now. I am 210# and have his 8'10" SUP, which also prone paddle surfs really nice too, fun light board.
If you already have a big 2+1 SUP, try making it a twin.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 24, 17 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

^^ Solana Beach (San Diego County) Wink

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 16, 17 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

There's a dealer named Paul in Vancouver (who owns a business in Beaverton) who sells Wai SUP boards (http://waistanduppaddleboards.com). It's a Tahoe-based company (boards built in China, big surprise). I bought a race board from him two years ago and have been very happy with it, and people who know SUPs much better than I do say it's actually a really nice board. PM me if you want his email address; I notice he has several boards listed on Craig's List (where I found him) that you could check out. I would do business with him again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: