Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arlington Launch Improvements
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Feb 26, 17 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

My understanding is both kiting and windsurfing were taken into consideration when designing a safer, more accessible, launch.

As BigJohn highlighted the swell is everywhere and really good with true desert heat. Campsites are being created/updated to offset the longer drive. It reminds me of Rufus....with less funky wind, bigger play area and better local amenities.

CGWA donated $5k for the effort, awesome and generous move by them. Considering many riders/sailors/foilers/SUP'ers etc are all mixed together now the vibe will be harmonious. The attached picture is from CGWA Facebook page taken just this past week detailing the current state of build.

Arlington launch.jpg 

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 02, 17 10:34 am     Reply with quote

We had 3 kiters out on the water yesterday at A-town. The new launch is awesome and the head guy Peter met us out there as well. Peter is a super nice guy, very enthusiastic about the development down there, and very receptive to input. It is very rare for someone to make themselves and their energy available to the windsports community in the way that he does. So if you see him out there give him a big thank you and most of all use the Park!

Once things get a little more polished over there they will make some signage to help designate appropriate use. Kiters will most likely still launch out of the Marina, but they are going to make the boat ramp you walk down bigger with less of a grade and will also put self-launch-land posts on the north side of the ramp. Windsurfers will love the harbor launch but on days when it's macking it might be a little sketchy for kiters to finagle out between the jetties.

Anyway it's all really cool stuff they are over there and it's going to be an awesome summer.

Last edited by cpc219 on Fri Mar 03, 17 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 02, 17 11:06 am     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:

Once things get a little more polished over there we will make some signage to help designate appropriate use. Kiters will most likely still launch out of the Marina, but they are going to make the boat ramp you walk down bigger with less of a grade and will also put self-launch-land posts on the north side of the ramp. Windsurfers will love the harbor launch but on days when it's macking it might be a little sketchy for kiters to finagle out between the jetties.

So the ramps and beach in the pictures is for Windsurfers only?
Kiters cannot enter or exit the river from the beach in the picture?
Kiters still need to launch and land into the marina and tack upwind and exit the marina above the jetty wall?

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 02, 17 11:14 am     Reply with quote

You can do what you want. We went out the jetty yesterday but it was light 9m. On a gusty 6-7m day when it's smoking I would feel safer going out the marina. If something goes wrong you are getting dragged over the jetty.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Mar 02, 17 11:31 am     Reply with quote

how about a work crew to put a "launch lane" downwind of the second jetty

bet we could knock that out assuming there aren't giant boulders

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 02, 17 11:32 am     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:
You can do what you want. We went out the jetty yesterday but it was light 9m. On a gusty 6-7m day when it's smoking I would feel safer going out the marina. If something goes wrong you are getting dragged over the jetty.

Thanks for the clarification!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 02, 17 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

I feel that placing any signage dis-allowing launching/landing of kites in the newly improved area (North side) would completely discredit all efforts taken.

Kiters can already walk down the marina boat ramp. They choose not to simply because it is completely wind shadowed and difficult to get up-wind and out to the river. In the event your kite goes down it would be very difficult to get it back up as the Jetty completely blocks any wind at the water level. You would likely just float to the rocks on the South side which could be both dangerous and damaging to your equipment.

When kiting in the boat ramp area (South side) you must keep your kite up very high (10:00 - 2:00). I recommend to anyone attempting this to at minimum be comfortable with reverse launching your kite.

In the past I have launched from the steep rock face (North side) and then land in the boat launch area (South side) as it is easier to go downwind with your kite from 10:00-2:00.

Anyone interfacing with the Port of Arlington needs to point out that most kiters will not attempt the marina boat ramp now. Simply widening and adding a tether will not change that.

If the port of Arlington is interested in increasing kiteboarding activity they need to provide direct access to the river on the North side.

bajakinney

Since 16 Aug 2012
29 Posts
colorado

PostSat Mar 04, 17 1:13 pm    Arlington launch improvements Reply with quote

Local strapless queen, Cynthia Cynbad Brown, did the art and design of the Arlington billboard!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Mar 06, 17 10:56 am    Re: Arlington launch improvements Reply with quote

bajakinney wrote:
Local strapless queen, Cynthia Cynbad Brown, did the art and design of the Arlington billboard!

Thumb's Up

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Mar 08, 17 10:22 am     Reply with quote

they had the earth mover out yesterday Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 08, 17 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

cpc219 wrote:

This is what the ultimate goal of the improvements was for, ideally, this new launch was specifically designed for easier Windsurf and SUP access, while the inner marina beach launch is still in discussion for improvments to allow for more accessible kite launching.

When it is windy, there is no truly effective improvement that could be made to make the river side (north) launch a consistently safe kite launch. The jetty and rock wall updrafts are extremely dangerous for managing a kite in that exposed area and the walk down to the rocks increases that wind vortex and gustiness.

When kiting at Arlington this summer, please continue to stick with the gameplan for launching via the marina same as all others have been doing previously.

And a very important reminder that this is a challenging and advanced kite launch only for expert kiteboarders to use.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Mar 08, 17 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:

And a very important reminder that this is a challenging and advanced kite launch only for expert kiteboarders to use.

This is all great and I appreciate the efforts etc etc. I hope that what the cgka just said about gustiness and updrafts is posted on a sign out there.

I hope I'm wrong, but I smell kitemare coming this season.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 08, 17 11:33 pm     Reply with quote

cgka wrote:

This is what the ultimate goal of the improvements was for, ideally, this new launch was specifically designed for easier Windsurf and SUP access

Really?

I'll bet a ton of people are going to drive from Hood River, Seattle and the Tri Cities to Arlington so they can SUP and Windsurf... I hate to be negative, but it appears to me that everybody missed the mark on this one.

Arlington port wasted a bunch of money and kiters missed out on the potentially best spot on the river.

Very disappointing!!!

Guess I will be enjoying Roosevelt this year.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Mar 09, 17 11:22 am    Arlington Friday Reply with quote

Eastern Columbia River Gorge-
Including the cities of Arlington, The Dalles, and White Salmon
731 AM PST Thu Mar 9 2017

.FRIDAY...Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing. Windy.
Highs 56 to 61. West wind 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around
45 mph.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 09, 17 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

The models I have been looking at are favoring Arlington and early.

Perhaps 9:00 - noon?

Perhaps I'll make the drive out to search for some of those updrafts they apparently have out there. Confused

Rufus could be good as well, however with more clouds.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Mar 10, 17 10:16 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
The models I have been looking at are favoring Arlington and early.

Perhaps 9:00 - noon?

Perhaps I'll make the drive out to search for some of those updrafts they apparently have out there. Confused

Rufus could be good as well, however with more clouds.

Readings in the eastern gorge looking strong and tasty! Too cold for me. I'd love to see to pics from the polar bears braving those chilly "freight train" sized swell.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 10, 17 7:06 pm    GOOD NEWS!!! Arlington is open for business Reply with quote

A few of us ended up kiting Rufus today. Had a great time. After my session I made my way to Arlington to check out the situation.

GREAT NEWS - the new site is complete!!!!!

I stopped by the Port of Arlington and had a chat with Denise at the front desk.

It is my understanding that Port of Arlington is not defining/limiting usage for their newly developed water park access way into the Columbia River. I was informed that Port of Arlington has developed this river access for the benefit of all users inclusive of WINDSURFERS, SUPERS, and KITERS.

Apparently there has been a request by a couple of kiteboarders to add sand to the boat launch area as an alternate kite launch site. The port of Arlington has obliged this request.

I also got the skinny on some other nice Arlington insights:
1) There are currently thee local food sources (The main restaurant, a Deli, a pizza / Chicken broasting site (but this site is only open on weekday afternoons).
2) You can rent SUPs at the local hardware store.
3) They have an awesome local golf course.

I recommend that all of us kiters stop in at the port of Arlington (after our kite sessions) and take the time to thank them for their efforts. Let's let them know how much we appreciate the new river access point.

See pictures below.

Main kitesurfing access point
 Main kitesurfing access point  Arlington Access1.jpg 
Top side of Main access point
 Top side of Main access point  Arlington Access2.jpg 
Arlington Walking Path
 Arlington Walking Path  Arlington walking path1.jpg 
Sand pile by boat launch. Alternate launch site.
 Sand pile by boat launch. Alternate launch site.  Arlington sand pile requested by a couple of kiters for an alternate launch site.jpg 
Another picture of Sand pile for alternate launch.
 Another picture of Sand pile for alternate launch.  Arlington sand pile requested by a couple of kiters for an alternate launch site2.jpg 
Alternate launch location at boat launch.
 Alternate launch location at boat launch.  Arlington Alternate launch location (Boat Basin).jpg 

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: