Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard deck hooks for foil?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jun 23, 16 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I wish the Predator hooks were still available. I really like their design and they look cool:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/PREDATOR-STRAPS-ARE-THEY-REALLY-STRAPS/

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 24, 16 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

just got back from Maui, 9 days of 30+ mph winds. Anyway foiled wiht my new NSI hookers. They were great and no sprained ankles while foiling

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Jul 11, 16 11:56 am     Reply with quote

i gotta say i love the Stringy / NSI hooks when foiling.

i'm a beginner, and the foot straps were freakin me out. two sessions with straps, twisted my ankle once, got tangled up with board/foil once.

switched to the hooks, love everything about it. the hooks make me confident to try stuff on the foil that i didn't like attempting with straps. with the hooks, when things go south i know i can eject or will be thrown off. haven't been tangled up once.

and i can't come up with a downside for a novice. it's kinda nice having two hooks for water starting/getting the board under you, but i'm only using the front one once up on the water.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jul 13, 16 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Da Yoda wrote:
I wish the Predator hooks were still available. I really like their design and they look cool:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/PREDATOR-STRAPS-ARE-THEY-REALLY-STRAPS/

hmmmm ummmmm Did Gene Simmons help design those?

www.freeridekiting.com

jamesb303

Since 22 Sep 2011
7 Posts
Colorado
Kook

PostTue Jul 26, 16 11:08 am    Which straps to get? Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Long time no see.

Can you enlighten me on which straps to get? I see there are a couple options. My main concern is safety since I tweaked my ankle - even in very very loose straps.

NSI Foot Hookers
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=425&idcategory=203

Or

Hydrofoil Foot Hook
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=203

I've currently got an 2015 LF Foil Fish. But may switch to a 2016 Dwarfcraft 54" with a Lift foil.

I see that the Hydrofoil Foot Hook version comes in Standard or Parallel hole setups and am assuming the Parallel is what I need for either board. Correct?

And the NSI Foot Hookers have just one option that must work with either board. Correct?

Thanks for your advice and for creating a product to keep us safe!

-James Brown

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 26, 16 12:51 pm    Re: Which straps to get? Reply with quote

jamesb303 wrote:
Hey Jim,

Long time no see.

Can you enlighten me on which straps to get? I see there are a couple options. My main concern is safety since I tweaked my ankle - even in very very loose straps.

NSI Foot Hookers

Or

Hydrofoil Foot Hook
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=203

I've currently got an 2015 LF Foil Fish. But may switch to a 2016 Dwarfcraft 54" with a Lift foil.

I see that the Hydrofoil Foot Hook version comes in Standard or Parallel hole setups and am assuming the Parallel is what I need for either board. Correct?

And the NSI Foot Hookers have just one option that must work with either board. Correct?

Thanks for your advice and for creating a product to keep us safe!

-James Brown

Not sure why they have both listed as foil foot hooks, but if you want the ones that work well with foiling, go with the foot hookers. the older generation foot hooks don't hold up well enough for foiling, they seem to work on surfboards, but not for foiling.
the hole positions on the foot hookers will work fine for both the LF boards as well as the DC.

jamesb303

Since 22 Sep 2011
7 Posts
Colorado
Kook

PostTue Jul 26, 16 1:41 pm    Thanks! Reply with quote

Much appreciated Jim.

Send it!

-JB

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 16, 16 2:09 pm    Foot Hooker Reply with quote

After a couple of miserable days on the foil , I tried 1 Stringy/NSI foot hooker on the front of my board . This helped me get the board in position for an attempted water start , sometimes just the big toe under the hook gives some sort of control while flailing about.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Mar 03, 17 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like Slingshot is in on the hooking too now:

http://www.slingshotsports.com/Foot-Hooks

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostSun Mar 05, 17 1:06 pm    Slingshot Foot hooks work for me!!! Reply with quote

NSI or SLingshot foot hooks work great the SS ones might work a bit better if you have a bigger foot because they have a slightly higher bend on them. Only problem I have is they eventually break so if I was you I would purchase a backup set no matter what ones you get!!! Way better to break a hook then a ankle!!!

IMG_1639[713].jpg 
   IMG_1637[712].jpg 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 05, 17 9:30 pm    Re: Slingshot Foot hooks work for me!!! Reply with quote

TAK wrote:
Way better to break a hook then a ankle!!!

Word!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Mar 05, 17 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

After spending the last few months foiling, I'll admit that I stayed with straps (really really loose) instead of the hooks.

I never twisted or tweaked an ankle (knock on wood) - I never got whacked by the mast, fuselage or foils. I did buy a helmet after a few smacks. I tried the hooks because I liked the idea however an old hockey injury left me with no feeling of pressure, pain or temperature in my left leg and foot - and for the life of me I was not able to adjust the wing well with my left leg forward.

Now that I'm able to ride some, I'll look at going to just a front strap and maybe give the hooks another try.

The hooks were flimsy for the amount of pressure I had to exert from my left foot and I removed them before I broke them.

www.freeridekiting.com

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Mar 06, 17 9:13 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:

The hooks were flimsy for the amount of pressure I had to exert from my left foot and I removed them before I broke them.

maybe your mast needs to be moved forward?

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostMon Mar 06, 17 8:59 pm    Hooks are for beginners Reply with quote

I was told hooks are for beginners so I guess that makes me a beginner, but beginner or not the foot hooks don't seem to be to flimsy for me!!! Photos by stringy SR. today at the secret spot haha.

IMG_6728[716].jpg 
   IMG_6734[717].jpg 
   FullSizeR[718].jpg 
   IMG_6739[719].jpg 

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Mar 07, 17 5:50 am     Reply with quote

great shots, looks totally fun

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Mar 07, 17 6:33 am    Re: Hooks are for beginners Reply with quote

TAK wrote:
I was told hooks are for beginners so I guess that makes me a beginner, but beginner or not the foot hooks don't seem to be to flimsy for me!!! Photos by stringy SR. today at the secret spot haha.

no idea if they are for beginners or not, don't think it matters much seeings how in the end it's a personal preference. We may have different hooks and you probably have feeling in both of your legs.

like I said, I need more feedback in my left leg - the amount of pressure I needed bends the hooks too much. I think as I progress in foiling I'll be able to give them another shot.

www.freeridekiting.com

Last edited by Freeride Kiter on Tue Mar 07, 17 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Mar 07, 17 6:36 am     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
maybe your mast needs to be moved forward?

It's possible for sure - while I am able to ride I still have some adjustments and tuning to do.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: