Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone gonna kite today?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostWed Mar 01, 17 7:40 am    Anyone gonna kite today? Reply with quote

I see some wind on the graphs.

Still new to the area but expert kiter from the Bay Area. Would love a pal to go with if anyone's up for it?

Unless I'm just crazy and it's still too early/cold?

I've kited many a cold day at Ocean Beach - got a 5/4 with hoody and boots. I see some south wind in the direction. Is that a problem? Gusty?

Thanks for any tips!

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Mar 01, 17 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Where are you thinking of kiting?

I'll probably head down to the event site around lunch if I see anyone else out, or if the wind looks reasonable. The river is 38 degrees, so way colder than SF Bay. I don't know what the coast is doing.

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostWed Mar 01, 17 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Yep that's my plan. Event site around noon.

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Mar 01, 17 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Send me a message when you're headed over there and I'll come check it out.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Mar 01, 17 9:56 am    Re: Anyone gonna kite today? Reply with quote

tgautier wrote:
I see some wind on the graphs.

Still new to the area but expert kiter from the Bay Area. Would love a pal to go with if anyone's up for it?

Unless I'm just crazy and it's still too early/cold?

I've kited many a cold day at Ocean Beach - got a 5/4 with hoody and boots. I see some south wind in the direction. Is that a problem? Gusty?

Thanks for any tips!

Dont' Die!

5/4 might not quite cut it if you are hitting around hood river - dry suit felt about right body draggin around for 15 minutes last week when the wind dropped - a 2mil wind top over might be the ticket

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostWed Mar 01, 17 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Yeah - good point. Well it's a very toasty 5/4, however I do also have a neoprene outer jacket. Though if I really need that, I may just skip the whole thing.

Gonna at least dip my toe in the water. I learned the hard way last summer that the current is strong - usually swimming back in the bay area is a good option, but tough around here, so I'll probably try to stay close to shore.

Thanks!!

PostWed Mar 01, 17 10:32 am    Brrr Reply with quote

Good chance you will see the PDX foil crew out at Event Site, wind readings are all over the map, should be interesting.

https://youtu.be/L5aD7MPRB98

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 01, 17 10:50 am     Reply with quote

FYI - SW winds are the norm for spring time.
SW winds are preferred.
It can be holey at the launch site on the event site grass..... as the topography and buildings create dirty wind.
If that's the case - once you get your kite into the air - keep it low and body drag 50 yards (or more) towards the middle of the river before you water start.
Stay close to the sandbar... worst case if there's an issue you can swim to the sandbar.
Have fun - Ventus capere!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Mar 01, 17 11:32 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

body drag 50 yards (or more) towards the middle of the river before you water start.

38 degree water. Ouch, not the way I want to start my session. Hats off to those that can endure those temps; certainly not me (hands get too cold every time and yes I use 3 mm gloves).

Safe session...!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 01, 17 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

5 guys out at noon - 3 dry suits and 2 wetsuits.
Guys on foil killing it (9, 10m), guys on twin tips struggling to stay upwind (12m).

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostWed Mar 01, 17 8:08 pm    Foils rule!!! Reply with quote

Foils rule and here's a picture to prove it haha!!! This was a few minutes after I saw some dude standing on the red channel marker so I figured there would be a board floating down the river. Fun short session but it's preseason so anything is good for me!!!

IMG_1627[634].jpg 

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Mar 02, 17 12:09 am     Reply with quote

a coast wetsuit (5/3) is not sufficient for the Columbia River in winter...

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 02, 17 7:07 am     Reply with quote

a couple of us out at rufus. wind shifted out of the north but seemed to get better again later in the afternoon.
before you head out to the river understand it is still chilling at around 38 degrees.
I'm unsure if your wetsuit will cut it in the event you spend more than a minute steeping in the water.
just so you know I know some kiters that wear wetsuits under their drysuits!
windance still has a bunch of these drysuits if you want to go that direction. if you go the drysuit route, make sure you always close your pee zip before you hit the water!

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostThu Mar 02, 17 7:34 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
a couple of us out at rufus. wind shifted out of the north but seemed to get better again later in the afternoon.
before you head out to the river understand it is still chilling at around 38 degrees.
I'm unsure if your wetsuit will cut it in the event you spend more than a minute steeping in the water.
just so you know I know some kiters that wear wetsuits under their drysuits!
windance still has a bunch of these drysuits if you want to go that direction. if you go the drysuit route, make sure you always close your pee zip before you hit the water!

I was one of the kiters out at noon yesterday. Struggling on my 12m with a twin tip. I had the following gear:

- Ride Engine 5/4 wetsuit with hoody
- 3mm booties
- 3mm gloves

I dare say I was toasty. However, I want to stress that yesterday was by no means a day anyone that doesn't feel super confident in their skills should go out on.

That water is super cold. Hypothermia is no joke and it's hard to know that it has hit you because it makes your judgement bad.

Yesterday's light wind and fluky conditions only added to the difficulty level. With 9 years kiting cold conditions at Crissy field and light wind all over the bay and two years kiting the gorge feel I have the skill set and local knowledge to go out on such a day. Having a few extra kites in the air made me feel better but even still I almost didn't.

Unfortunately I should add that I think one of the guys on the water over judged his capabilities and as you saw from the picture of Tak he and I had to lend a hand.

The good news is that even though he didn't go hypothermic - something I was very concerned about due to his time in the water - he was at extreme risk of doing so.

So - lesson of the day - live to kite another day. One fluky session in early march is not worth it if you don't feel supremely confident in your skill set.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Mar 02, 17 9:17 am    Re: Foils rule!!! Reply with quote

TAK wrote:
This was a few minutes after I saw some dude standing on the red channel marker so I figured there would be a board floating down the river.

Laughing Hilarious. Nice save Tak. Did he have his kite or did he release the whole thing? What was his plan to get back to the Sandbar? It sounds like TGautier body dragged him back home. Solid gesture considering it was 3/1. Thumb's Up

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 02, 17 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Had a strong 3 pack out at Arlington yesterday to break in the season. Not too bad on the cold factor.

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostThu Mar 02, 17 10:51 am    Dutch Uncle Advice Reply with quote

[quote="tgautier"]

I was one of the kiters out at noon yesterday. Struggling on my 12m with a twin tip. I had the following gear:

- Ride Engine 5/4 wetsuit with hoody
- 3mm booties
- 3mm gloves

I dare say I was toasty. However, I want to stress that yesterday was by no means a day anyone that doesn't feel super confident in their skills should go out on.

That water is super cold. Hypothermia is no joke and it's hard to know that it has hit you because it makes your judgement bad.

Yesterday's light wind and fluky conditions only added to the difficulty level. With 9 years kiting cold conditions at Crissy field and light wind all over the bay and two years kiting the gorge feel I have the skill set and local knowledge to go out on such a day. Having a few extra kites in the air made me feel better but even still I almost didn't.

[/quote]

Sorry for the Dutch Uncle rant/advice here. . .

The SF Bay is a way different animal than the Columbia, especially in the winter and Spring. Many more vessels out on the water and eyes upon someone kiting out at Crissy if something goes wrong.

Wise of you to ask about what should be worn in the river this time of year, but it also shows your inexperience with your 2 years for riding on the Columbia.

One takes on a significant risk level going out into/onto the Columbia this time of year with the water temps, water level, strong current, debris, snow pack melt relative to the late Spring and summer months.

Your gear breaks or you hurt yourself, you're not going to last too long in the river this time of year, period. And hoping someone comes in a timely manner and or helps you or saves you is a low chance event. Your going to have to dig/swim yourself out of a kitemare in all likelihood.

GOOD ON YOU for helping someone else out who was in need in the cold waters!

Part of the secret to success and longevity in kiting is knowing when to back down even if your suited up and ready to launch and jones'in for kite time on the water. Just ask Kevin Kearney or one of the many turtles that he saw.

Ditch the Twin Tip and get a foil or surfboard. Either will keep you up out of the cold waters and extend your time out in/on the cold waters this time of year (assuming you can ride either). This is also assuming the winds are strong enough. If the winds seem marginal, well re-rig to something bigger, or pack it up and back down.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is the time of year when the experienced and well-equipped kiters, coupled with the materializing favorable kiting wind conditions start to go out for kiting sessions. It brings out the newbies and under-experienced and the ones that shouldn't be out on the river just yet.

I'm not trying to squash your stoke, but trying to point out that this time of year it is all business on the river when kiting. Those that are out doing it right now and into the Spring make it look easy, but that is because they know what they are doing, are very experienced, and are equipped with the proper functional and well-maintained gear and probably have a default game plan if something goes wrong out there. They are also probably riding with a buddy, too.

Dutch Uncle rant over.

Have fun, be safe and use your smarts. . .KITE ON!

Last edited by sleestack on Thu Mar 02, 17 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: