Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drone Footage from Event Site today (2/23)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Feb 23, 17 6:01 pm    Drone Footage from Event Site today (2/23) Reply with quote

Hey, my name's Tyler. I was out flying a drone around the event site today. I took all my decent footage from the day and posted it here.

Video: https://youtu.be/L5aD7MPRB98

There's a couple stills here, too.

Stills: http://imgur.com/a/Iu1LB

It's not all fantastic, but if you were out today and want to see if I got any video of you, look through it. If any parts are boring feel free to skip ahead. Smile I tried to keep anything I had of anybody, because I know it's fun to see yourself recorded, especially if you're just a regular guy who maybe doesn't get his photo taken all that often.

If you're in any of these photos, let me know. If your friends are in any of these photos, let them know!

I met some of you on the grass today, but not all of you. I'll be back down there all season (though with my kite too, once it warms up), if you see me with the drone, go ahead and ask if you would like any footage of you, I'll watch for your kite and try to get some.

This drone is new to me, so I'm just getting used to chasing kites with it. It does OK in the wind, I'm sure I'll get some even better shots as I get some more experience with it.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 24, 17 6:44 am    Awesome Reply with quote

Tyler !
Great footage , very impressive flying skills you have.
Thank you for sharing

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 24, 17 6:58 am     Reply with quote

here are your images embedded. thanks tyler for the stellar documentation. good to see west winds if only for a brief period it was also nice to see sun
stoke meter topped off

btw check out tyler's youtube page for some awesome aerial shots from the gorge under a blanket of snow.

Link

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 24, 17 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Awesome footage!!
Seems like a close call at 5m30s Shocked Laughing

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 24, 17 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Surprised to see so many people out on the river at those temps! Nice video.

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Feb 24, 17 10:48 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Seems like a close call at 5m30s Shocked Laughing

This is one of the challenges of filming kites with a drone - they have no peripheral vision. To make sure you're high enough that you can't hit anyone's kite or lines, you have to stay up close to 100ft, but of course, you can get cooler shots if you get down lower and closer to the water. The more crowded it gets, the more risk there is down low.

I think it'd be pretty unlikely to injure anyone flying low, but a collision between a kite and a drone could easily destroy the drone and damage the kite.

If you look at 4:20-4:30 in the video you can see kind of a cool chase angle (I should have had the camera looking a bit higher), but with the drone that low, if another kiter was coming downwind towards the drone, or even if someone was coming upwind on starboard tack, I wouldn't see the kite until it was right in front of the drone. A kite also accelerates faster than the drone, so you have to try and anticipate jumps and turns and falls when you're close-in, so you can react in time.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 24, 17 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

For sure! I bet that a good method of signalling/communicating between rider and the drone pilot would help get even closer shots as you as the pilot could anticipate the kite trajectory better.

D Dawg

Since 24 Aug 2009
56 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Feb 24, 17 1:01 pm    clips needed Reply with quote

Tyler,

I am looking for some Gorge kite video clips for our shop monitor.

Hit me back if you get a chance.

Dana - ProMotion Wetsuits

Last edited by D Dawg on Sat Feb 25, 17 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Feb 24, 17 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

Nice meeting you Tyler!

great seeing a dozen kites out - water is a bit brutal for flailing around too long and lots of debris flowing out the white salmon

unusual two days of sun and westerlies

gorge feb1.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Feb 27, 17 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

I was out with the red/black Gaastra kite and twintip, it was fun to see the video. I had no idea you were flying until after I came back in. Thanks for taking the time to post the upload!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: