Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flying to Belize, will AA check my "golf" bag?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
windjunkieFL

Since 17 Feb 2016
29 Posts

PostWed Feb 22, 17 7:17 am    Flying to Belize, will AA check my "golf" bag? Reply with quote

Hey kiters

The first time I saw kiteboarding was in 2011 on a summer-long trip to Belize. The wind was incredible out there and I am finally going back for the first time since then as an experienced kiter. I looked at gear rentals where I am staying and it will be costly and I have a feeling the gear will be shabby.

AA charges $150 each way for checking a kiteboard, as per their policy. I am looking at buying a kiteboard "golf" bag, but I am worried the bag check folks will unzip my bag and charge me for the gear.

Has anyone flown AA with kite gear? Did they charge you the $150, or did you get away with the golf bag fee which is the same as checking an ordinary bag for $25.

Thanks for any feedback

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 22, 17 8:43 am     Reply with quote

At PDX you might get away with it (especially if you do curbside check-in), but at popular kite spots they usually know what is a golf bag and what is a kite quiver and they might charge you.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Feb 22, 17 8:46 am     Reply with quote

AA both ways to aruba a few weeks ago. Used the dakine bag, made sure it was under weight, i think 50lbs, so that wasn't an issue. They did ask if it was golf stuff, i did say yes. THey didn't ask me in aruba at all.

$25 each way. Im sure you'll get lots of advice on how to deal with this in this thread.

I can also say that on another trip back in december, i got dinged both ways. So, good luck to ya

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Feb 22, 17 10:01 am    throw in an old wedge Reply with quote

Always throw in an old wedge club so you can say you're transporting golf gear. You can use the club to defend your primo land and launch spot and or if it isn't windy you have time to work on your short game. Laughing

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Feb 22, 17 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Don't get caught!

American is super rapey $150 each way

I would say don't fly those guys if u can!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Feb 22, 17 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
American is super rapey $150 each way

I would say don't fly those guys if u can!

So true. American is over the top cash grabbers.

Alaska Airlines......always a great experience with them and their LATAM partners LAN and Virgin when heading south.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Feb 22, 17 12:39 pm    bag checks Reply with quote

Ticket agents usually don't ask, keep it under 50# and be nice.
I was asked coming out of honolulu I was honest, had to pay extra.
I was asked coming out of Curacao 2 weeks ago. I lied, got away without extra fee.

But almost every big bag I check is internally inspected. They leave a card if it is legit.
I have had bags come through the bag claim with zippers hanging open and no note.

So I probably have a 90% success rate at no extra charge, just the usual charge.

I usually check a coffin bag and a large roller duffle. Unless we bring scuba gear too, and then it is one more checked bag.

Also if you hold out on your carry on bag or other, usually when you get to the gate they will check them through for free. Overheads are getting too full.

Have fun

windjunkieFL

Since 17 Feb 2016
29 Posts

PostWed Feb 22, 17 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Great feedback, thank you everyone. I think I'm going to roll the dice, and will throw a wedge and iron in the bag too. This way I truly am checking golf clubs as suggested.

If I could get to Belize on another airline I would, but AA is the only option. I hate AA to be honest. Southwest flies to Belize out of Houston but they don't have connection flights, you have to buy a different itinerary and the times offered are limited.

Thanks again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: