Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North coast Sunday 2/19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 18, 17 9:06 pm    North coast Sunday 2/19 Reply with quote

Thinking of shipwreck to lot C Sunday at noon. SW wind 20-30 all day, rainy in the morning, low tide at 2. If no takers, I might try Whalen island at Sand Lake around 10am since it will likely be drained later at low tide. Never been there, anyone have any advice on it? Landboardable? Scott. 503-481-6284

IMG_6051.PNG 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 19, 17 7:21 am    Looking better and less rainy Reply with quote

Maybe even some sun! Shipwreck at noon? Scott 503-482-6294

IMG_6053.PNG 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 19, 17 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Whalen island looked great for butter and teaching but was rainy and the tide was getting too low. Definitely need mid to high there. Looks like good camping too. Couldn't find a downwinder buddy so stopped at Nehalem Bay when the sun came out. 7m and butter behind the sandbar directly across from the boat ramp. Waves actually looked pretty nice when I got back to Cannon, bet Shipwreck was tasty

Addict

Since 26 Jun 2012
101 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 19, 17 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

Did you get some?

sagebrush

Since 31 Oct 2009
209 Posts
north,van,bc
Stoked

PostMon Feb 20, 17 12:29 am    central coast Reply with quote

It rocked on the central coast today,four of us out on 7,8 and 10m kites.wicked ocean!!

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Feb 20, 17 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Whalen island looked great for butter and teaching but was rainy and the tide was getting too low. Definitely need mid to high there. Looks like good camping too. Couldn't find a downwinder buddy so stopped at Nehalem Bay when the sun came out. 7m and butter behind the sandbar directly across from the boat ramp. Waves actually looked pretty nice when I got back to Cannon, bet Shipwreck was tasty

You're right, Whalen is really great for butter in a couple areas and you can also kite out to the ocean on the north end. I'm not sure how well it works on a south wind though, I got two days there last spring with some nice NNW wind.
Also, yes, mid to high tide is essential.

The place kind of reminded me of a colder, saltier Floras Lake in the way the wind came in over the dunes...very nice when the conditions line up.

I didn't know that people kited in Nehalem Bay. Where do you actually launch? Near the boat ramp in the state park?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 22, 17 9:37 am    Nehalem Bay Reply with quote

Yeah the beach on the South side of the boat ramp is wider and sandier but the north side has beach for a 1/2 mile and then it curves east so plenty of egress if things go wrong. The sandbar across from the ramp is showing at low tide only and stretches about 300 feet off that far shore. Felt a lot like Rooster Rock with pretty balmy wind and ocean water temp. I tried to catch the rare north wind on the ocean side yesterday but was late by an hour. Ok 9m for 15 min then 12m for 15min then a little landboard action.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Feb 22, 17 10:50 am     Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll have to give that a try someday

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Feb 22, 17 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

once back in the day we kited nehalem bay on an east wind. my memory is that it was fun, had a good session, but then the wind shut down quickly

we were going to kite the ocean that day but it was very off shore, swirly off the dunes. and would one get blown out to sea if things went wrong, or would waves push you in?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Feb 22, 17 4:39 pm     Reply with quote

ezryder111 wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info! I'll have to give that a try someday

I've never kited Nehalem Bay. I believe there are better places to kite if you are looking for an ocean bay on the Oregon coast. The Nehalem has a lot of water running and so those tides could be pretty unforgiving for a beginner or someone more adept at kiting if they had a breakdown or lost wind. Playing with fire IMHO.

If you are looking for a bay to kite this time of year I'd hit just south of Lincoln Shitty--the Siletz.

From what I have heard, SW wind works best in Nehalem Bay as the wind gets shot in the bay from the bar; winds are unobstructed from that reach. W/NW probably works too as long as one keeps their kite up high/above the dunes.

You go first on the east/offshore winds. I'll watch and keep the coast guard on speed dial on my cell. "Last I saw him he was using a blue and white kite. The kite pulled him directly into the breaking zone of the waves. That is where I lost sight of him and his kite kept traveling west towards Japan."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: