Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What to do with old wetsuits?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Feb 12, 17 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

I'll I can say is peeing while underway deserves it's own thread. It's why Sasquatch has to get rid of his old wetsuits. It's why chicks prefer seat harnesses. And it's why if you pass me on the water, you might hear me yell in my best pirate voice, "ARRRRR, OUTTA ME YA POISON!"

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 13, 17 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I'll I can say is peeing while underway deserves it's own thread. It's why Sasquatch has to get rid of his old wetsuits. It's why chicks prefer seat harnesses. And it's why if you pass me on the water, you might hear me yell in my best pirate voice, "ARRRRR, OUTTA ME YA POISON!"

Myth Question: Does pee attract the Landlord just as blood will?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Feb 13, 17 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

Wind Slither is misinformed. I never have been a fan of peeing in the wetsuit, but there is the rare time here-and-there that it was required (big neck flush of water afterwards). Also, I've never been able to pee while "underway". If I do it, I have to either bob in the water or at the waters edge. That is a skillset developed by those that are in the habit of peeing in their suit.

The wetsuit I'm getting rid of is was my father's. It doesn't fit me, was custom made for his dimensions and for scuba diving, and is from the late 60's.

As for the Landlord being able to tell if it means "prey", I suppose it could be learned behavior/trait.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Feb 13, 17 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Sassy,

This kid seems to have the same problem as you with being seen while peeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2oypapg5s

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 14, 17 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Many years ago I met a guy from UC Santa Cruz who was doing a PHD research project interviewing people who had been attacked by sharks on the west coast.

He noticed 2 trends with the victims.

1. Majority of people who had been attacked admitted to peeing in their wetsuits.

2. Large number of people who had been attacked admitted to storing their wetsuits in a place where their dogs could lie on the wetsuit. Example: surfer throws their wetsuit in the back of their pickup and their dog lies down on the wetsuit during the ride home.

I keep a separate wetsuit for the ocean and I never pee in it.... and I"ve never been attacked...... just saying.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Feb 14, 17 10:22 am    Craigslist. . . almost better than Goodwill Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Many years ago I met a guy from UC Santa Cruz who was doing a PHD research project interviewing people who had been attacked by sharks on the west coast.

He noticed 2 trends with the victims.

1. Majority of people who had been attacked admitted to peeing in their wetsuits.

2. Large number of people who had been attacked admitted to storing their wetsuits in a place where their dogs could lie on the wetsuit. Example: surfer throws their wetsuit in the back of their pickup and their dog lies down on the wetsuit during the ride home.

I keep a separate wetsuit for the ocean and I never pee in it.... and I"ve never been attacked...... just saying.

It would be interesting to know how many victims from a shark attack never went #1 in there wetsuit.

And what does fact #2 imply? That sharks like dog scents. . . are you implying in this fact that the dogs pee on the wetsuits?

Twice I have had a cat, (might of be mine), pee on my kite gear (wetsuits) in the back of my old car when it was in the garage. I left the hatchback open to dry out the wet gear and car. I don't know if they smell the pee in the suits, or the suits have another odor that the cat/s find threatening? Whatever the case, cat pee is really bad, might be the worse out there. Even after a very expensive detail job, I had to throw away a sidewall component of the car as it still had an odor to it. The second time, I saved myself a couple hundred bucks and just took an box cutter knife to the affected area and cut it out--the cat took a pee in the carpeted area where the wet wetsuit was residing. Lesson learned. Now I either have a tarp of blanket under all my kite gear if stored in the back of my car or I use my space case (when it is on my car) and or I don't leave my car open/hatchback open for some cat or something to get in. I also tried to wash the wetsuit to rid it of the cat pee odor; it didn't get it all out. Fortunately it was an older 3mm shortie that had disco bright colors from the late '80s. I still found a taker on Craigslist; I posted it for free. He noticed the smell, but said it was for a rafting trip and for one of his teenage kids--being warm and having fun trumps smelling bad I guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: