Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ideas for old kites that I need to be rid of.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 31, 17 2:50 pm    Ideas for old kites that I need to be rid of. Reply with quote

Hi my name is Cody and I am a Team Rider for Naish here in the Gorge. I have some old kites that are for the most part unsellable. Not because the don't fly or don't work but simply because they are dated. I'm talking about 2011 Chargers, Parks, Cults, other Sigma series stuff, and things like that.

There are probably a total of about 6-10 kites that I need to offload; donate, sell, whatever. If I could get some money out of them that would be sweet but I am fine with just giving to a worthy cause too. Please share your thoughts and ideas. Outlets I am looking for are schools, programs, or people who want to make something out of them. There are plenty of ideas out there but I really need results. Not trying to sound demanding but I know there must be someone or something out there that needs these. Let's hear it!

Cody

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 31, 17 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

I have 2 kites for free as well:

15m slingshot fuel 2005ish

9m best c kite 2004ish

Not useable for kiting.

Free - I'm in Portland

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 31, 17 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

I know chase hasch's mom makes diaper covers with old kites. I think they are in the dominican republic most of the time. but his gramps lives few miles from me over in St. Helens. I think they are still coming back for summers. Long shot but an Idea if nothing else comes up.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 31, 17 10:42 pm     Reply with quote

http://nicetimebags.com/

surfboy1968

Since 17 Jun 2008
217 Posts
south padre island
Stoked

PostWed Feb 01, 17 7:49 am     Reply with quote

I have used nice time bags several times. She does awesome work with used kites and bags. Don't know if she needs any kites, but you can contact her?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 01, 17 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Over the years when we accumulate old kites at 2nd Wind, we have run into a similar situation.
With the goal of keeping the kites off of the water and out of the wrong user hands, we wanted to find a way at least for the materials to be useful via donation and recycled some how via our local community.

Hood River local, Roxanne McClure, is our 'go to' person for donating kite and windsurf sail materials to. She re-uses the materials to make custom travel bags, hand bags and grocery totes.
She is a long time local and her family is active in the windsports community.

If you need her contact info, or would be interested in having us relay your gear to her, just call me or stop on buy the shop.

Her business name is Sew Swell
Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/SewSwell/?pnref=lhc

www.Purestokesports.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 01, 17 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Camper/van/etc awning.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Feb 01, 17 10:53 am     Reply with quote

All great ideas to recycle and reuse materials and parts of the old kites. I use old kite bar line for camping, etc etc as that stuff is super strong and long.

I know of someone who made a sleeping bag bivy cover. Not sure how one could make the material water proof or at least resistant? I'm sure there is some kind of product out there. . .

Simple beach sun shades would also be a great use for used kiting material.

A very long time ago I donated some C kites to a kite shop up in Seattle. They were taking them for some reason. Not sure if they still do. I think the shop was in the Fremont area?

This is totally not earth friendly, unsafe etc etc , but I'd love to see film/footage of someone flying an old kite that was filled with hydrogen, doused with some type of highly flammable liquid, and then flown over a bone fire on the beach. Yes, I'd want to use the longest set of lines I had and or make some. . .

Maybe not use hydrogen. . .

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostWed Feb 01, 17 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Who was the person who made them into sweet windbreaker jackets!?? Anyone remember that??

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 01, 17 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

Got it! Coolest shower curtain ever!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 02, 17 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

Simple beach sun shades would also be a great use for used kiting material.

I have a 2004 11m fuel that I had dangler sew loops at the ends of the struts. It makes a great windshade on the beach! I put it downwind of my blazer and put lines from the end of the struts to the truck. Goes up in minutes and makes a great spot for my wife to sunbathe while I play. Smile

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Feb 06, 17 8:03 am     Reply with quote

I am looking for someone with a serger who would like to make some products for us. Please send a PM or call 54l-49O-5O98 -Hein

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Feb 07, 17 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Anyone in PDX wanting a 6mm scuba diving wetsuit (Free) for making foil wraps or whatever, PM me please. No holes and lightly use, but I doubt the seams would work long-term. It was custom made/fit for my father when he dabbled in scuba back in the late 60's, so it doesn't fit me and I rarely scuba these days. He was 6'1'' and about 180 lbs.

Thx

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Feb 07, 17 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 07, 17 1:43 pm    suit Reply with quote

sounds like just my size. whats your project? Velcroed foil protector? that would be pretty easy. cheers, Dangler

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Feb 07, 17 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

Let's get those old bright kites and make some outfits like back in '86 when the Gorge was cool! Thumb's Up

I know The D was sportin' some righteous neon back in the day!

RighteousNeon.jpg 

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostTue Feb 07, 17 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

These are all great ideas!
I especially like the wind breaker jacket plan!

As a carpenter, there have been many times where a old kite would come in handy to sew and replace the cheap fabric canopy on old pop up shade tents- you know like EZUps.

Also, car or big person toy UV covers: Jetskis, 4-wheelers, snow machines, etc.

Are any of the old kites a small size like a 3,4, or 5m?

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Feb 14, 17 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'm making a pop-top for my camper van! Old kites would be the most amazing tent material for the pop top. It's a white van, having those bright colors when the pop comes up would be an incredible addition

If you (or anyone else) would like to donate towards the project, that would be amazing!

Shoot me a message if that's anywhere within the lines of what you're thinking!

Steve

Soon to be Astro Camper Van!
 Soon to be Astro Camper Van!  20170128_145417 (1).jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: