Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First trip to Brazil - help please??!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
funhog

Since 17 Oct 2013
6 Posts
Durango
Kook

PostSat Jan 07, 17 7:50 pm    First trip to Brazil - help please??!! Reply with quote

Seeking help for best places to kite / stay in Brazil. Prefer swell or small waves for directional boards. Seeking reasonable but nice accommodations within walking of launches. Also would greatly appreciate info on exchanging money. (thinking Cumbucco / Paracuru / Prea ??? will be there 5 weeks - do not plan to rent car) Any info will be GREATLY appreciated!

clamborghini

Since 16 Oct 2012
13 Posts

PostSun Jan 08, 17 5:05 am     Reply with quote

Taibinha beach. My girlfriend and I just spent the season working at Amarela Kite Resort. We were riding the lagoon, but everyone loved the waves and downwinders to paracuru.

They have 2 locations. 1 near the lagoon and another a few hundred yards upwind right in front of the waves at Taibinha.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Jan 08, 17 9:40 am     Reply with quote

So I've never been down there, but it sure sounds nice (especially with the freezing rain/snow crap going on right now in PDX).

So one day trip down to lot B I was riding with a guy that had visited Brazil a handful of times. He told me that he actually prefers to fly direct to Frankfurt, Germany then take a direct to Brazil. Apparently less "puddle jumping" with smaller planes and transferring gear (which can be a pain).

Have fun down there and post some pics of your trip when you return.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 08, 17 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Stayed here a couple of times. It's a low key, relaxing place with NO crowds. The key is no crowds.

http://dreamlandinbrazil.com/

Also note that Brazil, ATM's are a problem. Exchange money here in the USA. Have a dedicated Visa just for travel. In fact have two, just in case one does not work at the time of need.

Travel only during the day. Do not travel even by taxi at night, arrive at your destination during daylight hours. Remember, if you're a single man, your potential target size is small. Your target size increases as you add language, gets even larger if you have a girl friend / wife and its extremely large if you have kids. Keep this in mind.

I've been to Brazil four times, PM if you need more info

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 08, 17 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Dreamland looks awesome!
The owner is Lester Polyester - the guy who owned Gorge Animal shop in HR in the 80's and 90's.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jan 09, 17 8:43 am    Brazil Reply with quote

I've gone for there years running . I'd recommend jeri as a base as the wind is generally stronger there, wave wise, there are small un imtimidating waves. Downwinding is what you want to do in brazil, so you need to work with a buggy driver and teaming up with other kites makes that more reasonable. In prea, go to rancho do peixe to meet other kiters as it seems to be a collecting point. Taiba can have big waves , but there is less wind, so it is best to go with the forecast. Brazil is best in the fall, but from what I've heard it is as good or better than most places even in the off season.

samjenkies

Since 12 Jan 2017
1 Posts

PostThu Jan 12, 17 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

clamborghini wrote:
Taibinha beach. My girlfriend and I just spent the season working at Amarela Kite Resort. We were riding the lagoon, but everyone loved the waves and downwinders to paracuru.

They have 2 locations. 1 near the lagoon and another a few hundred yards upwind right in front of the waves at Taibinha.

I'd second Taibinha. I was there a few months ago. The second spot that clamborghini - the upwind spot - was EMPTY for me when I went. It was awesome to have the place to myself. Safe travels!

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 19, 17 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Dreamland looks OK but the prices are very high. $130 a night for a single in Brazil??? The exchange rate is over 3 to 0ne now with the strong dollar.(YOU COULD GET A STEAK DINNER FOR $9 WITH A BEER) That's twice what it was when I was there and I paid $60 a night FOR 2 people in a suite in Cumbuco on the beach with a pool. There living in dreamland if they expect that price! You can stay in a luxury room on the beach in Cumbuco for about R170 in high season!

Other tips:

Remember that the average wage is about $2 an hour in northern brazil. Anyplace that quotes in US$ is generally a rip off, be careful of Euro run restaurants.. always pricey rarely worth it..

Avoid very low cost hotels.. we stayed at a place that was $12 a night and one bed had biting insects in it.. and it was very hot.. they tried to double charge us at checkout.

Make sure that the drivers you hire for long overnight downwinder trips know where you will stay and where they are going. Getting lost in some towns is not safe. Many bad stories.

Most of all yu will probably have the best time of your life, I did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: