Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Alaska & Golf Bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
synergy12

Since 31 May 2007
135 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jan 15, 17 4:46 pm    Alaska & Golf Bags Reply with quote

If asked, Alaska says you can only put golf equipment in a bag (for $25) to Baja.

Are they actually checking GOLF roller bags contents at the check in counter to see if they have kite stuff in them?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Jan 15, 17 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Well it sounds like you're stuck with paying the fee (how much?). . . as they are probably aware there is some type of event going on down there soon.

However, put an old sand wedge in the golf/kite bag and if asked you could always claim that there is/you are transporting golf equipment. Plus if it isn't windy down in LV (not likely and hopefully not) you will have something to do. . . comb the beach and pitch off/hit the dead and dried-up sharp and spiny puffer fish off the beach that all those fishermen discard with their respective catches.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Mar 07, 17 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

jiberus

PostSun Jan 15, 17 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Flew to LV with Alaska 2x last year and again this year with a golf bag at 49lbs. No problems. I check it in curbside in Seattle and tip the person well (might make it smoother?). The Mexico check-in worked fine too. Never been asked what is inside.

However, flying back from Mexico this year I tried to bring a kitebag with kite and bar as carry-on. The security wouldn't allow the control bar. So, I had to go back downstairs and put the bag through as a checked bag. For some reason the folks at the Alaska desk desk didn't charge me anything to check it.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 15, 17 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Print out Alaska's web page with baggage guidance. It does not mention any extra fees for kiteboarding gear. If it isn't published policy, they can't charge you for it. That would actually be illegal and you could sue them. That said, they might add it tomorrow...

Just checked again... There is a change. They can now get you if your golf bag is longer than 63" and has no golf equipment. They specifically say that they waive the over 63" charge--$75--for golf equipment only. One golf club would fix that, but hell I struggle to keep my bag under 50# without a golf club... Going to Baha Thursday with a golf bag over 63", I'll report back with what happened.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Jan 16, 17 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Alaska used to list kiteboarding equipment specifically. It seems as though they have removed the language from their policy but have kept their surfboard language in the policy. You can check 2 surfboards up to 9'6" as your first checked bag. If you have an Alaska credit card, your first check bag is free. Keep it under 50lbs and you are good to go. Bring a non kiter with you and make the reservation together and get two free bags. I throw my kites in a big duffel and my boards in a surfboard bag.
You don't need much clothes so that goes on the carry on.

IMG_0251.PNG 

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jan 16, 17 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I have the Alaska CC and have always been charged oversize fee ($75) when traveling with surfboards. The credit card just saves you the $25 standard fee I think - unless it's changed. I'd be interested to know if anyone is checking a golf bag with a twin-tip inside and not getting charged oversize. The oversize fee is 62 linear inches (so 15Wx15Tx32L=62) so the only way people are not getting charged is if they are loose with the definition of "golf equipment". The also make an oversize exception for snowboards, skis and scuba equipment, so perhaps they are less stringent with the kite golf bags.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Jan 16, 17 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

I flew to Baja last year on Alaska with a surfboard bag and wasn't charged. I even told them I had kiteboard gear in it. The exact content of my surfboard bag was a skimboard, and a Liquid Force Foilfish plus the foil bag (mast, wings, fuselage and tools). It was under 50lbs even with all that stuff in it and they gate agent didn't bat an eyelash.

I depart on the 29th with similar stuff, I'll let you know what happens this time.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jan 16, 17 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Good to know - I had a very large surfboard bag and was charged last year in PDX and SJD - but this year I'm taking a foil and TT in a smaller golf bag so hopefully I'll have better luck!

TomAustria

Since 07 Mar 2013
35 Posts

PostMon Jan 16, 17 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Until now I never got charged for my golf bag on Alaska, but today from SJC to OGG they charged me an additional $50 for "oversize" bag (the bag is big enough to fit a 5'1 Firewire Vader).
The bag was not overweight btw and I have the Alaska CC.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Jan 16, 17 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Damn it!!! Well at least I can pay the $50 with my Alaska card and get 2:1 miles.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 17, 17 6:27 am     Reply with quote

jiberus wrote:
Flew to LV with Alaska 2x last year and again this year with a golf bag at 49lbs. No problems. I check it in curbside in Seattle

I have always assumed that curb-side was not allowed for international flights? How's this work? Had you already pre-checked and entered your passport information online? Gotta run home to SEA and back from San Jose Del Cabo this week.
Oh.. if anyone needs a bag brought to LV or LB let me know quick. I return to Mexico with only a carry-on Sunday morning. In Seattle for the weekend.
PM me

jiberus

PostTue Jan 17, 17 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
jiberus wrote:
Flew to LV with Alaska 2x last year and again this year with a golf bag at 49lbs. No problems. I check it in curbside in Seattle

I have always assumed that curb-side was not allowed for international flights? How's this work? Had you already pre-checked and entered your passport information online? Gotta run home to SEA and back from San Jose Del Cabo this week.
Oh.. if anyone needs a bag brought to LV or LB let me know quick. I return to Mexico with only a carry-on Sunday morning. In Seattle for the weekend.
PM me

I just show up at the airport, go to the curbside, and they check me in there.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jan 18, 17 3:57 pm    Re: Alaska & Golf Bags Reply with quote

synergy12 wrote:
If asked, Alaska says you can only put golf equipment in a bag (for $25) to Baja.

Are they actually checking GOLF roller bags contents at the check in counter to see if they have kite stuff in them?

I flew to maui from PDX - L.A.- Maui in December and used curbside checkin for my kite bag. I always ask "do you accept tips?" before handing my bag over. Never been charged (unless you count the $10 tip).

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostMon Mar 06, 17 4:55 pm    Comments and letters Reply with quote

Recently flew to LV Baja on Delta. Usually our little airport is great about checking in bags & letting things slide but not this trip....$150 each way so obviously Delta has upped its mandate against board bags.

I used the emailed request Delta sends out for customer survey - post flight - to let them have it regarding their nazi policy. I have a platinum card & bought a premium seat class because it has always helped in the past as to what might be inside my checked bag. No curb service here. So, I let them know I'd only fly Alaska if I could possibly help it from now on, will discard my CC and then I wrote Alaska to let them know how appreciated their "better" bag policy is. It seems like if enough numbers of people voiced their opinions to the airlines both those that are good and those that suck - maybe some change would come about or at minimum the good ones like Alaska would recognize they have a good thing going and keep the looser bag policy in place. I'm sure one voice won't help much but if many of us use whatever opportunity we can to speak out & they can quantify feedback into dollars they'll remain a good airline to fly. Seems like enlistment of surfers in this regard would be helpful as well.

Maybe

kbguru

Since 16 Jun 2008
13 Posts
PDX

PostTue Mar 07, 17 8:06 am     Reply with quote

I'm flying down to Baja right now, flying United, using the golf bag under 50#.. regular $25 first bag fee... one of the gentlemen at the oversized bag station was asking me what was in my bag. I told him "my gear".
Seemed like a survey/curious type questioning. They have probably seen multiple od shape golfing bags so they're curious.
Golf Club trick next time for "hassle insurance".

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Mar 07, 17 3:17 pm    Re: Comments and letters Reply with quote

lewmt wrote:

I used the emailed request Delta sends out for customer survey - post flight - to let them have it regarding their nazi policy. I have a platinum card & bought a premium seat class because it has always helped in the past as to what might be inside my checked bag. No curb service here. So, I let them know I'd only fly Alaska if I could possibly help it from now on, will discard my CC and then I wrote Alaska to let them know how appreciated their "better" bag policy is.

Good Job lewmt,

I have a ton of united miles, yet chose instead to purchase tickets on Alaska for my last trip to LV.

The board bag fees with United have forced me to re-evalute my CC / travel strategy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: