Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Skyline Snowkite Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostSun Jan 01, 17 10:27 pm    Skyline Snowkite Video Reply with quote

Here's a video from our recent trip to Skyline, Utah. The conditions were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4OIKbeAZc

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jan 02, 17 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Damn Doods! Way to get your glide on!

Looks like you had Bosco all to yourselves!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jan 02, 17 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Was that Matt V's vehicle next to you?

www.freeridekiting.com

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostMon Jan 02, 17 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, ErraticAKn, that is Matt's van, and we enjoyed getting to know him during our trip. Real cool guy, and a great resource for snowkiting and kiteboarding in general. He filmed the opening shot for our video.
We had Bosco's ridge mostly to ourselves, with Billy Bordy and Patrick Nedele occasionally roving between us and demonstrating the techniques of the masters. One thing they sometimes did that I appreciated was to glide and hover just above the slope, because that's the safest way. However, they make it look easy, but when beginning it's actually quite difficult to avoid going higher than you want unless you stay at the base of the ridge.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 05, 17 11:44 am     Reply with quote

That's badass, thanks for sharing.
You guys probably didn't use up any wax at all being as you spent most of your time in the air. Shocked

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Jan 05, 17 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

Nice Vid.

Where did you guys stay? I was looking around there and it's pretty bleak.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostThu Jan 05, 17 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, Taycar, it's pretty desolate around there. We stayed at the Horseshoe Lodge in Mt. Pleasant which is decent, but there's nothing happening there otherwise. The only place to get a draft beer in the whole county is a dingy bar on Main Street in town.
One option to consider if you want a little night action is to stay in the Provo area, a little over an hour drive from Skyline, where there's some good brewpubs and other action going on. Provo's also about an hour from Strawberry, the other hot Utah snowkite site, so you could go either way depending on the forecast. Strawberry has plenty of snow by now, and the snow gets less wind-blown there after a storm. Plus it's at 7600' elevation rather than 10,000, so not as cold, and for sea-levelers like me one doesn't feel out of breath for so long after climbing out from a crash.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jan 06, 17 10:41 am     Reply with quote

No more climbing out from a crash! You are gonna have to tunnel and make friends with the badgers and gophers. Skyline just got dumped on for 5 days straight. Looks to be about 4' of snow in the parking lot right now. The roads are plowed and you can still park along them. But after working around the clock for 5 days, and having to do the same for the next six starting Saturday night, I think the plow guys are sleeping for 48hrs. I doubt they will be up to do the parking lot today or tomorrow. Gonna give it a shot today and as much of tomorrow that there is visibility while the next storm rolls in.

First order of business is to do some shoveling at the out houses. If I can even walk in there without snowshoes.

And Heber City is a pretty cool spot to stay too for access to Strawberry. And just so you know, Strawbery is a bunch of spots around the lake. "The View" on the north east side of the northern most arm of the lake, along with the "Marina" on the south east" side of the lake are the two lake access spots with lots of terrain too. But there is better kiting on the land only (or mostly) spots like "Strawberry River", "Chicken Creek", and "Co-op Creek". It all depends on wind direction.

I am still sticking with Skyline and have only made an attempt at Strawberry when it was a white out a few days ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: