Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waterfront Committee meeting 2/13 -- kiteboard topic list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Feb 07, 07 1:58 pm    Waterfront Committee meeting 2/13 -- kiteboard topic list Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a quick brain dump for kiters attending the Port meeting Feb. 13.

Here are some issues I see that are on the forefront for this coming season:

*1. Safety signage for kitebeach, the marina swim beach, & event site - signage specific to each area.
e.g. the one for the marina would be directed at non-kiters, families, swimmers... you get the idea.

For great examples see:
http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?p=15223#post15223

*2. Addressing the issue of boats docking on the sandar.

*3. Bigger sandbar = less water space = more swimmers, more interaction with windsurfers / event site. Address how a bigger sandbar will affect kiteboarding.

*4. Changing sandbar. Look at how the sandbar and waterflow may change throughout the next few months and how that might affect kiteboarding there.

*5. Guidelines for rails and kickers / man-made park items at kitebeach.

*6. Port plans for parking area. Are there real restrooms on the horizon, running water, etc? Fees for the upcoming season?

Feel free to add / comment.

-Kirsten

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Feb 07, 07 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

First 5 are right on target for the meeting on the 13th.
I hadn't thought about the boats on the sandbar . That will be an interesting discussion.

I doubt that we'll get to #6. Running water, flushies, and hard paved surfaces are not even on the table for the near future -- no infrastructure in place and costs.

Last year the commission discussed possibly using revenue from the parking (after deducting costs) to better maintain the access road and dust control. I haven't seen that figure but will inquire.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 07, 07 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this up and I'm not trying to sound rude, plus I'm not even a citizen of Hood river, but I'm not understanding...

There is a lot of money (better economy, better quality of life, Port's Mission Statement) to be made as a wind sport destination and it seems like Hood River could do more to capitalize on it's unique environment.

I don't have any suggestions on how to improve it, but if I were to pick one off the top of my head it would be the facilities at the Sandbar. Instead of charging sandbar visitors $2 to park, how about increasing tourism advertising and implementing a new tax of some sort.

It just doesn't seem like whatever longterm plan that was in place is still relevant.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Feb 07, 07 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

no doubt forrest.

it doesn't make much sense to charge the same day rate fee as the event site if you aren't offering those services either (running water, flushies, and hard paved surfaces, um oh yea and GRASS).

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Feb 07, 07 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

This is might be off the topic - items for the meeting on the 13th but ....

Construction of the Event Site began in the early 90's for a cost of $1 million and used $317,000 in lottery funding. Probably couldn't even get permits for that amount today and then you need to add in enviromental concerns and goal 5 (reparian set backs). I'm not saying it couldn't eventually be done but the Park Develoment Committee trying to build a "family" park on Lot 6 is struggling to make it happen even as we speak.

Forrest - new taxes?? Are you proposing a "sales tax?" A food & beverage tax? Increasing the hotel/motel tax? Been there - discussed that. Interesting discussion but really off topic for this thread.

Also....just for clarification
It's $4.00 to park @ the Event Site
$2.00 for the Spit
$50 for an Annual that give access to both

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Feb 07, 07 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

sherrybohn wrote:
Also....just for clarification
It's $4.00 to park @ the Event Site
$2.00 for the Spit
$50 for an Annual that give access to both

My mistake Sherry- sorry for that. I guess I meant to refer to the $50 annual.

I'd be much happier paying that if we received the same basic services as the event site. Otherwise it should be adjusted as is the day rate fees.

Perhaps an Event pass($50) could be valid at both locations. But the sandbar pass($25) only good at the sandbar. Once services are improved you could adjust the fees accordingly.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Feb 07, 07 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting ---

I'll pass it along when we discuss fees again

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Feb 07, 07 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all kiters,

To address this from Forrest:
"There is a lot of money (better economy, better quality of life, Port's Mission Statement) to be made as a wind sport destination and it seems like Hood River could do more to capitalize on it's unique environment. "

The best way to promote this sport and get support for this sport is to come up with statistics that show the revenue and the growth around the industry.

Last year in a meeting I attended organized by the Port, it was stated that kiteboarding in HR right now is looked upon as a short-term fad sport by Port commissioners. From this I interpreted that it is not taken seriously as a growth revenue and effort/dollars put into the sport not a priority. Anyone else at that meeting can correct me if I mis-heard or misinterpreted that statement.

I post that not to say anything negative toward the Port Commission. It is to state that the kiting community needs to rally with data and info. CGKA is working to be a strong, unified voice for kitesurfing here in the area, and needs to collect data to support revenue and growth.

I know CGKA would be happy to receive any and all statistics supporting what kiting brings to the economy here, in Portland, and any other areas that might be relevant.

Data data data. Start sending.

-Kirsten

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 07, 07 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Sherry, I hear ya, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. Money is short for everyone. Thanks for at least taking the time to respond. And you're right this is off topic for the meeting on Tuesday.

I don't own property in Hood River, but I do rent, and I do have an address. I might buy there one day, I might continue to rent. Either way, I have a future in Hood River beyond just my sports and hobbies. I guess the audience for my statements was to more than just the Port. It was to the city as well.

I'd be willing to put in effort to collect data, how do we begin?

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Feb 07, 07 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Forrest,

That mail was from me (kirsten), not Sherry.

As far as gathering data. Your guess is as good as mine. Someone just needs to kick it off and send whatever they have to CGKA so they can compile it.

www.cgka.net

Thanks for the input. It's all valuable.
Cheers,
Kirsten

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 07, 07 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

hehe, the first part was addressed to Sherry, the second paragraph to everyone, and the third to you. Smile

I just signed up for the CGKA, maybe we can get something going.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Feb 07, 07 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Gotcha. I must be a little slow on the uptake! Running on low sleep. That's my excuse. Sticking to it. Smile

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostWed Feb 07, 07 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

"That's the way to do it...."

Consensus voice, data and the ability/willingness to work together.

CGWA has been around for a very long time, has a number of members and presents a loud BUT very informed/respected voice......in my humble opinion..... that what CGKA needs to strive for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: