Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Shorts Harness Kiteloops?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skilja

Since 02 Jan 2008
75 Posts

PostMon Dec 05, 16 10:03 pm    Shorts Harness Kiteloops? Reply with quote

Question about switching harnesses from waist to shorts (Dakine Nitrous, etc.):

I'm wondering how shorts harnesses work out for kiteloops. I know the body position will be different from a waist harness, and the center of gravity/force will change, but is there anyone out there doing big powered loops in a shorts harness that can vouch for them in this respect?

I have always ridden waist harnesses, but tore intercostal rib cartilage/tissue on a powered kiteloop, and am considering shorts harnesses to move pressure away from the rib.

Thanks.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 06, 16 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I can vouch for the opposite, I find that when I loop in my Nitrous shorts it's much harder to get my legs back under me as the sideways yank is coming in to me at my center of mass.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Dec 06, 16 11:04 am     Reply with quote

They are different but my impression is they keep my legs more locked in. Rib and back pain is brutal and never ending if you kite a lot so the shorts made it a non-issue for me due to the same rib injury that now protrudes on my left side and I've never had a problem since.

When you send it hard/loop the yank seems more evenly distributed so managing the power between your feet and hands feels natural but the pull is different and your riding style and balance will change so plan for some angst during the adjustment period.

Comfortable for long sessions and I prefer to ride overpowered constantly boosting with speed so the slightly lower center of gravity helps my load and pop with no riding up of harness and solid for getting up wind quickly. Your rib/upper body will be less cumbersome/restricted but if you prefer waves they do lock in your hips more. A sliding rope set-up will help offset that but when it comes to comfort, fit and overall session experience your harness is a very personal choice you just have to demo but for rib issues.....I don't think there really is another option but I'd like to hear about it too. Good luck with your mend.

Matt E.

Since 22 May 2008
318 Posts
West Coast Sales Rep
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 06, 16 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have never been a big fan of seat harnesses for freestyle or waves. However, Shawn Richman used to make the shorts harnesses work just fine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpa1441ylgQ

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 16 11:19 am     Reply with quote

I switch back and forth between waist and seat harnesses. I wouldn't say I do big powered loops. I will loop on well powered days mostly. I'm no king of the air. For me the kiteloop itself is easier to control in the air and also landing with a waist harness. The kite pulls the top of your body towards the kite. Then you simply bend at the hips to bring the board forward on landing.
With the seat harness when you loop the kite pulls between neutral and lower body depending on how your body is positioned when you pop. Then when you pull one side the bar the top of your body wants to twist forward to that side where as with a waist harness you are already in that forward facing position.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostFri Dec 09, 16 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Bummer bout the torn rib cartlidge. It can be a continual annoyance that is succeptible to aggravation when using a waist harness, be careful with that injury and adjust accordingly....Shawn Richman could use duct tape and a bungee cord, they don't call him Houdini for nuthin'!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: