Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

River Nose and vertigo?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostFri Aug 12, 16 11:30 pm     Reply with quote

The ENT doctor said my vertigo is not necessarily related to any river nose. He examined my ears and nose and they were fine. The vertigo happened by another reason, maybe a hard wipeout? He showed me the Epley maneuver which is very effective for vertigo.
Since I wrote the post, my vertigo went away by itself. In the last week I haven't had any symptoms. Next time I will just do the Epley by myself I guess and that will be it. But for 15yrs of kiting and wiping out this vertigo had never happened to me before. Well I am 15 years older too. I guess I got too scared this time.

Christopher254

Since 19 Oct 2016
2 Posts

PostWed Oct 19, 16 8:45 pm    Re: River Nose and vertigo? Reply with quote

lubomm wrote:
I was wondering to hear any feedback on the river nose issue with many sailors around here. Have you had any infection that resulted in vertigo or something like that?

I have had plenty of river water up my nose this summer. Lately I have felt a spinning sensation like vertigo when I make a quick movement with my head, like quickly lie down or get up from bed. I read that it is possible to result from infection in the inner ear. Or it might be from something else (maybe a hard wipeout?). The so called BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) is supposed to be a common condition where the inner ear sends false signals of spinning to the brain. It is curable by some specific head movements that adjust the inner ear liquids.

Thanks!

I had episodes of dizziness and vertigo once. I have had attacks of vertigo for weeks, then a period of time with no dizziness symptoms at all. The doc prescribed me many antibiotics. But I am worried of it coming again. I'm hoping to see a therapist in Toronto and take the BPPV physiotherapy treatment. I’ve researched about it quite a bit and it seems they can help to minimize the impact of the disease. It will be better to see a physical therapist, they can help you to sort out what is going on.

MF

Since 02 Jun 2006
69 Posts

PostThu Oct 20, 16 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I use Afrin for immediate relief.

Long term try Flonase or Nasacort, which are both OTC at Walgreens. I found one hit each morning throughout the summer and all my river nose sinus issues went away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: