Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cape Cod National Seashore Ban Lawsuit
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Jun 22, 16 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Glad the topic got bumped, didn't see that I was being called out..Definitely not "throwing you under the bus", in fact far from it. Simply stressing the importance of respect and the fact that in a public recreation area, it's imperative to treat your hobby or past time as a privledge and not a right. It helps one to keep things in perspective.

I've lived in the Gorge, on Maui, in Corpus and now on Lake Michigan, and have kited or windsurfed those spots religiously for over 30 years. I've seen beaches restricted and closed for many different reasons in every location, including "bothering the birds"...in fact, I was one of the culprits that led to the restrictions regarding the "birds". I was very passionate, much like you are now with your sport. I was also ignorant of the negative impact I was making during breeding season.

Good luck in your quest to keep your kiting areas open, just remember that you are not the only one passionate about their hobby or about the Cape Cod shoreline. Being proactive and not defensive goes a long ways....

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jun 22, 16 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

Kiting isn't a right or privelegde. .. it's just an activity.

www.freeridekiting.com

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 24, 16 9:25 am     Reply with quote

I'll be on the Cape late July and early August. Hope to meet some local kiters and discuss this issue. My family has enjoyed the outer beach in Chatham for generations, but the increasing restrictions have hampered our ability to enjoy the area.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 16 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

west wrote:
Definitely not "throwing you under the bus", in fact far from it. Simply stressing the importance of respect and the fact that in a public recreation area, it's imperative to treat your hobby or past time as a privledge and not a right. It helps one to keep things in perspective... I've seen beaches restricted and closed for many different reasons in every location, including "bothering the birds"...in fact, I was one of the culprits that led to the restrictions regarding the "birds". I was very passionate, much like you are now with your sport. I was also ignorant of the negative impact I was making during breeding season.

Good luck in your quest to keep your kiting areas open, just remember that you are not the only one passionate about their hobby or about the Cape Cod shoreline. Being proactive and not defensive goes a long ways....

You just don't get it West. I'm not being defensive, just frustrated of having to explain to you (& Squatch) that I wasn't "ignorant of the negative impact" nor did I ever let my "passion" cause me to act in an irresponsible manner. We abided by the rules and respected the bird enclosures, more so than other user groups. Yet we were still singled out by the Cape Cod National Seashore which contends that our larger kites, because of their size, must be more disruptive to nesting shorebirds along the entire 40 miles of shoreline than the other recreational activities allowed there such as ORVs, walking, hunting, fishing, dogs, single-line kites, and bonfires. If you don't find that claim outrageous & ridiculous, and you don't feel that your civil liberties have been unduly infringed upon, then you truly just don't get it.

Timbers, I'd be happy to meet with you and score a sesh in Chatham when you're here. If you have any input or perspective you can lend to our case that'd be fantastic. Just shoot me a PM closer to the end of July. Our kiting options are pretty limited between the Seashore and Monomoy bans, but we can still ride off Hardings and Wellfleet harbor where I live.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostMon Aug 22, 16 7:22 pm    the latest Reply with quote

For those of you that remember, I posted back in June that a couple of us Cape kitesurfers had joined with a lawyer to file a lawsuit against Cape Cod National Seashore for their "arbitrary and capricious" ban of kitesurfing. The Feds have taken 3 months to reply, but in the meantime the local press and community have been supportive of our case. Seems people appreciate the beauty of our sport and recognize we're respecting the environment, and I wanted to share their comments with you. You'll find them on my petition page in the Updates section with links to all the articles. Hopefully the judge will be just as open-minded and see how ridiculous the ban is considering all the other activities the Seashore allows and the lack of evidence to support their claims that kiting harms shorebirds.

Just wanted to provide you all again with the link to my petition so you can read some of the great articles and enlist everyone who hasn't already signed to do so and help spread the word. The stakes are very high as a ruling one way or the other would set a precedent for the NPS that any other park could refer to. I'd also like to thank PNW local Brian for taking the time to talk with my partner in crime (because here kiting is a crime) and hoping he'll consider helping us with his expertise.

https://www.change.org/p/cape-cod-national-seashore-superintendent-george-price-support-modern-green-recreational-activities-in-our-national-parks-and-seashores

Last edited by capekiter on Tue Aug 23, 16 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 23, 16 7:34 am    SPARTACUS? STEP UP! Reply with quote

capekiter wrote:
"sign the petition"

"Only one shot at this, and if we lose it could set a precedence for parks around the country.

https://www.change.org/p/cape-cod-national-seashore-superintendent-george-price-support-modern-green-recreational-activities-in-our-national-parks-and-seashores

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 23, 16 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Tastes like chicken.
Signed.
I see these flying sea lice all over the east, more than in past, and they certainly don't warrant a ban.
Damn commies! Evil or Very Mad

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSun Oct 16, 16 6:22 pm    We did it! Reply with quote

We did it! The US National Park Service (NPS) has started a 1 month public comment period requesting input as to whether or not to modify the kitesurfing ban at Cape Cod National Seashore (CACO). This is only happening thanks to the lawsuit and the support shown by all of you through this petition. But the NPS has to do it this way, so we absolutely need your help submitting comments in support of allowing kitesurfing. They have only given us 1 month, so it is imperative that you don't delay, and please help spread the word to anyone you know who appreciates the beauty, harmony and sustainability of wind-propelled surfing. All we are asking for are a few areas away from nesting shorebirds and summer crowds where we can access the Cape Cod Atlantic ocean from March-Oct (the time span of the current ban). Do not let the Park Service propaganda lead you to believe kitesurfing is impacting shorebirds at CACO. The kiting community is small and is dispersed across the 35+ miles of coastline, and no birds have been injured or killed. The Park Service is also falsely stating that we want all restrictions lifted when in fact all we are asking for are a few areas for year round access.
This is your chance to comment directly to the US National Park Service and make your opinion heard. Thanks to all of you for your support and making this possible. Now please help spread the word and support our right to kite at US National Seashores.
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=217&projectID=67769&documentID=75613

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Oct 16, 16 9:15 pm     Reply with quote

For those not paying attention this is different from the original petition.

This is a 30 day window (10/14 - 11/14) overseen by the National Park System public comment opportunity.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 18, 16 6:18 am     Reply with quote

Comment added.

Nice work CC kiters! Thumb's Up

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostTue Oct 18, 16 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Added a comment. Of all the things to restrict- it's just ridiculous, especially considering all the diesel powered ships puttering around the water out there, people literally killing fish (I'm not against fishing, just seems silly that we allow people to hunt fish, but ban a windsport because of ungrounded concerns about mating birds). Glad to help.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 19, 16 11:51 am    Signed both - Done & Done Reply with quote

Both Petitions Signed with Comments.

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/thankYou.cfm?documentID=75613&CFID=3751272&CFTOKEN=286707594310e2a7-B0477C24-155D-9421-4DFA03E960C85A98

https://www.change.org/p/cape-cod-national-seashore-superintendent-george-price-support-modern-green-recreational-activities-in-our-national-parks-and-seashores/sponsors/new

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 20, 16 8:40 am    super important Reply with quote

Wow, sounds exactly like what happened to us down at Pistol River years ago with the "snowy plover" issue. With respectful input from the local windsurfers, kiters, surfers, fishermen, beach walkers, etc. a ban from using our specific beaches(Da Rock, Da Cape, and the Rivermouth) was avoided. The officials didn't understand the site specific nature of our sports in terms of safety and wind quality and the respect that all user groups have for the pristine environment south of Gold Beach, and weren't aware of the passion we all have for our sports.More studies were done, boundaries were re arranged, all parties were satisfied. Very important to respectfully FLOOD the comment box on this, sounds like the same issue, different coast. They WILL listen and take note and hopefully this problem can be resolved.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 20, 16 9:26 am    commented Reply with quote

nice to see this important issue moving in the right direction

good work

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostThu Oct 27, 16 6:24 am    Urgent need for comments Reply with quote

Hoping you guys saw this and will submit your comments directly to the Feds via the National Park Service website. Thanks: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-40591.html

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostWed Nov 23, 16 9:36 am     Reply with quote

An attempt by the US Attorney to get the lawsuit dismissed has failed as a federal judge agreed to put it on hold for a couple months pending the outcome of the public comment period (please see my last post). Thankfully the judge is allowing us this opportunity to see if the Seashore is sincere about re-evaluating the need and scope of kitesurfing regulations within the park. I'm grateful that Attorney Larry Wind was able to prevail on the Court to wait and see if there are any changes in the 2017 Compendium of rules and regulations. http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20161120/cape-kitesurfing-lawsuit-put-on-hold That is something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, and I wish all my wonderful supporters a Happy Holiday! I couldn't do this without you!

And please continue to support my petition! Thank you! https://www.change.org/p/cape-cod-national-seashore-superintendent-george-price-support-modern-green-recreational-activities-in-our-national-parks-and-seashores?recruiter=545234933&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Nov 23, 16 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Good to hear but sad all around. Having to get a lawyer to access a public beach????

Stupid.

But I have dealt with both sides of this. State wildlife agencies surrounding Iowa seem to have a grudge against any lake use that is not fishing or hunting. And they seem to have a particular dislike of anything as fun as kiteboarding.

However, the Iowa DNR included kiters in its meetings on lake projects that saved our home lake from pretty much being destroyed for ease of kiteboarding. This was all WITHOUT a lawyer. These DNR guys stood up in public presentations and and took flak from almost every winney user group. As kiters we tried to maintain a "work with you mentality" that was almost unneeded. The Iowa DNR is just that cool and cares about every user group.

I wish the NPS would take a class from the Iowa DNR.......in class.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: