Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Late October OR and CA coastal kiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Oct 15, 16 2:36 pm    Late October OR and CA coastal kiting? Reply with quote

I'll be making a road trip from the Gorge to LA at the end of this month, and have some hope that I'll find suitable conditions to kite a bit along the way. Worst case, I can check out some spots for future trips. We'll probably hit the coast at Newport and I intend to look at Floras Lake south of Bandon. I know there are some spots in the Bay Area and at Pismo Beach. I can handle myself decently in the Gorge, but have not yet ridden ocean waves, so I'm looking for easier spots at this time. Any recommendations or resources I should check out?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Oct 15, 16 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

Pistol River has always been a grand time for me.

www.freeridekiting.com

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Oct 15, 16 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

I'll check that out, thanks!

I did find this guide to California spots, which should be a good start.
https://kitesurfingmag.com/california-kiteboarding-guide/

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 15, 16 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

There some good info here.

http://kitezombies.com/soj-kiteboarding-guide/

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Oct 16, 16 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Great resource! I'll be in LA for the first week of November, so maybe I'll get lucky and score a session or two at one of the spots between Ventura and Long Beach.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 16, 16 10:19 pm     Reply with quote

I learned to kite in the Gorge and recently moved to Santa Barbara. I'm still getting used to kiting in the ocean - my 2nd season. Always talk to the locals to get the skinny - many things that can go wrong, but when it's right it's really good.
- Bob

Friendly places to get started:

Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara - minimal shorebreak, if the wind dies there are lots of boats around who will give you a lift in, dedicated group of kiters there including a bunch of foilboarders. Lighter wind spot - usually 12m, sometimes 9m, sometimes 15m. I'm usually there most windy afternoons.

C-Street, Ventura - drive all the way to the end of the pay parking lot - gravel ($4). Start a few hundred yards upwind from the main kite launch in the dry river mouth of the Ventura River by the "turret" (large round cement structure in the sand). This spot is not crowded, no surfers, and if you end up downwind, you can still get out before you get into the main surf lineup. Waves can get big at C-Street, so check surfline before you go. If the waves are 2-3ft, then you'll be fine. Bigger than that can be problematic getting out. I often just bodydrag out through the shorebreak to get to the outside quickly. Ventura has more windy days than Ledbetter. 9m/12m 50/50.

Belmont Shores, Long Beach
I haven't kited here personally, but I've heard its a great spot. Closer to LA so will be busier.

Other places are much more advanced. SoCal is weird in that a lot of the spots are advanced, there's very few kite schools, and there's very little tolerance/patience for newbies. You are expected to know what you're doing. The kiters I've met are friendly, but they don't want some out-of-town kook crashing into the surf lineup and causing their favorite kite spot to get shut down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: