Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Update from the meeting for Lyle access.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 07, 16 11:16 am     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Where do you get any idea that I am asking about me or my desire to kite in the channel? My question is simply a "what if" question based on a likely event.

Are you going to answer the question or are you just going to continue to dance around it and read between the lines and make up your own interpretation?

Okay, perhaps I mis-read your intentions. My apologies.

My concern is that you may be asking the wrong questions. In my mind it's not who can stop kiting today but rather what paths are available to stop or regulate kiting tomorrow.

There are many powerful entities involved in the Lyle discussions. Each of these entities has different interests.

Land Use, Zoning, Governmental Department Roles and Scope, Treaties, Easements, and Environmental Factors are all contributing items that can be major factors in final rulings. Rulings may occur via departmental interpretation, legislative process, or judicial process. These rulings may be swayed by money and lobbyists (neither of which kiters tend to have access to).

I think it is likely that rulings would be global in nature (not focused on just Lyle).

However, on the bright side of things, kiters interests are aligned with commissioner Sauter's agenda of improving recreation in the Gorge.

In my opinion we need to do what ever we can to help his agenda... Even if that limits some of the things we currently enjoy.

Showing that we as kiters are responsible and accountable will go a long way in commissioner Sauter's negotiations with all the powerhouses at the table... Which hopefully will result in a solution that is beneficial for all parties.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Oct 07, 16 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="SalmonSlayer"]
Sella wrote:
My question revolves around this scenario. If you have people that dont care about promise, can access be taken away from all kite boarders? It does not appear so based on the responses. thx

Legitimate question and nobody on this forum has the insight to answer at this time I suspect. We all know kiteboarding bans are a reality world wide and beaches do get shut down. Locally we've self policed, and it seems to work pretty good considering the amount of traffic but there are always riders who abuse and it's naive to think Lyle will be any different from time to time. Once the county actually presents a plan to the landowners is when it will become interesting. Way to early to speculate at this time if 1 bad seed can kill the crop.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Oct 07, 16 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

I am glad there is a cause that is getting people involved and mostly united. I hope motivation and momentum stay balanced.

In the mean time I could use a few more kiters at Avery. launching isn't so bad it's landing that I never look forward to.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: