Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tenerife info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 02, 16 9:51 am    Tenerife info Reply with quote

Going to do a week in Tenerife this Jan or Feb and looking for any insights on spots to ride or things to do. Taking the family so it's not all about kiting.

Probably going to rent an airbnb in El Medando, but I don't mind driving to El Medano to kite and staying somewhere else if there are better options. My family doesn't kite at all so gotta keep everyone happy. Sounds like Playa de la Americas is a bit too touristy for me but my wife is a city girl and likes Honolulu lots so I'd be interested on people's take on it.

Also planning on surfing / SUS too, but only looking for head high and lower.

For sure going to hit Siam water park and I'd like to go to Loro Park to see the zoo but I detest what they are doing to Orca there so I probably shouldn't. Plan on going up to the top of Mount Teide too.

For kite sizes I have 5/7/10/12/17m, probably pack 7/10/12. I'm 165 lbs.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Sep 02, 16 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Try finding a British Forum to ask on. We used to go to the Canaries a lot from the UK to Surf and Windsurf (20+) years ago. I think you'll find lots more people who are plugged in to what kit to take, where to go etc etc.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 03, 16 6:12 am     Reply with quote

hey,
I went there in Oct so I can't speak to wind quality when you are going. I mainly used a 9 and 12 and kited about 50% of the days I was there. I could have used a 14M on one or two days.

Medano is a great spot to kite plus south west of red mountain (at least I think that's what the locals called it) there is a flat water spot that works on different wind directions. Both spots are within a few minutes drive of each other. At the Medano spot its pretty obvious where to launch, on the other spot follow the signs for the Nude beach and launch slightly south west near to the sea wall.

we stayed at La Americas and it sucks for sure. Its your stereotypical touristy British spot where everyone just wants to sit around drinking, getting loud and watch football.

My favorite place was the town of Medano. Small and quaint with lots of great Tapas, coffee shops, bars. It kind of had a Hood river vibe to it which my wife and I loved.

For sure check out the mountain. There are also some massive cliffs (Cliffs of the Giants) on the west side of the island worth checking out.

if I think of more information I will PM you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: