Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

insurance for rental car ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 26, 07 7:44 am    insurance for rental car ventana Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get car rental insurance for rentals in US for Baja? Or are we at mercy of car rental companies down there? any tips would be appreciated to avoid being ripped off:) Thanks!
Last edited by marina c on Fri Jan 26, 07 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Jan 26, 07 7:59 am     Reply with quote

yep call an insurance company here. thats what we did for our own car at least. enjoy

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jan 26, 07 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Fish- Come up here with the phazer & lets go rip it up!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jan 26, 07 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Last time renting out of Cabo airport I went with National. First I called the Mexican number and made a booking. The rate seemed high so I called the US National number for international booking and the rate was nearly half.

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostFri Jan 26, 07 9:22 am     Reply with quote

book from the states- $400 per year
Book from Mx- $400 per month
Its up to you. I go without it, avoid accidents, bribe first ask ?s later

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jan 26, 07 10:23 am     Reply with quote

If you got an Amex Card - you can sign up for $25 full coverage car insurance for each rental - if you rent for 1 day or 3 weeks = same $25. I get this cause it also covers 5K worth of stuff in the car(works in Mexico)

TM

Since 05 Oct 2006
6 Posts
PDX
Kook

PostFri Jan 26, 07 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

I just rented a car from Dollar and opted out of the insurance. It was going to cost as much as the daily rental. A couple of the other people down here were forced to get insurance from their rental carriers- they were told it was a new law. I booked my rental online a week or so in advance and am paying $15 a day. I am guessing the line about having to get insurance through your rental agency is false as I didn't have to. Lets just hope I don't wreck on the way back to the airport tomorrow--

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Jan 26, 07 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

I was just down there in December and everyone I know had to get mexican liability insurance. Now it it required. As for the full coverage I just rented with a credit card and used that insurance. I would call your credit card and make sure that it will work in Mexico though.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Jan 27, 07 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Its the law wether it your car or a rental, you must have mexican liabiliy ins.

the am. ex. thing sounds like the deal though.

don't know that I wold risk going with out I heard their jails are no bueno.
and you are guilty till proven innocent, which would be tough from jail if your guilty. Wink

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jan 27, 07 9:07 am    A.D.A. VIS Reply with quote

they are an American And Mexican insurance company as long as you own some kind of R.V.(bath and kitch) half the price and no double coverage ,we havn't went to MX. for the last couple years and still it's the best coverage we can find in either country .
not to worry Mexicans are the best drivers Iv'e seen because nobody wants to spend time in a Mexican jail Arrow

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Jan 28, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

using the amex sounds like the way to go. our normal US auto insurance definately does not work in mexico, we just thoroughly checked it out. we got the insurance with our rental when we were in baja last month. sucks paying that much. anyone checked to see if visa offers insurance?

w84wind

Since 23 Jan 2007
45 Posts
La Ventana, BCS Mexico

PostFri Feb 02, 07 9:28 am    Rental Insurance at San Jose Del Cabo... Reply with quote

The best way to find a rental car is online. I usually go to www.avis.com or www.travelocity.com .

Book online with all your options and any desired insurance.

They will gouge you for extras if you make changes or add things (like insurance or child seats) at the airport - just like they do in the U.S.

Check with your credit card for the insurance that they cover.
My Mastercard covers all damage to the vehicle (collision and comprehensive) – BUT they have very strict requirements in order to provide the coverage, so give them a call.

A certain amount of liability insurance is provided by law with the car rental. You can buy additional liability coverage if you like.

So, insurance really shouldn’t cost you anything if you plan in advance and work with your credit card company.

Brian
http://www.solymarweb.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: