Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bend Kiters
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostFri Jul 22, 16 12:14 pm    Bend Kiters Reply with quote

I know there are a few folks who hit Wickiup periodically. I'm jonesing for some kiting and have a pass this afternoon. What do you peoples who have a good handle on the spot think about conditions this afternoon? Right now the Round Mountain sensor says 9 mph with gust of 17 mph.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostSun Jul 24, 16 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Did you give it a go? I would guess the NW evening winds Thu, Fri & Sat would have worked. I've had a couple days already this year out there and will be looking for more later in Sept. PM me sometime.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Jul 24, 16 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Josh and Christina at 6 Meter Brewing kite down that way. I don't have contact info but www.6meterbrewing.com may get you in contact.

www.freeridekiting.com

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 06, 16 7:50 am    In Sunriver til Monday or Tuesday Reply with quote

I'm in Sunriver. I have all day Sunday 8/7 available. Monday morning and maybe Tuesday morning. Anyone know if wikiup will go?
I'll try pm and brewery links. Thanks

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostSat Aug 06, 16 10:43 am    sunriver Reply with quote

OC
it's all about diurnal flow with the cascade lakes. with a late NW-W pattern. air density is less at 4,300ft, so you'll think it's a 10m, but its better on a 12m. or surfer. or whatever which way you like to ride. the forecast and trends have been matching pretty well the last few days. don't trust Wickiup Reservoir sensor for "live" winds, it's on top of Round Mtn. however, the forecast models are within reason. your better off standing next to the water with your own wind gauge.

boat ramp launch near the dam on the east side of the water (S. century drive to Wickiup Res Dam road) is a great area to launch and go this time of year. water is way down now and south side won't work. careful, there are hazards, including but not limited to, stumps, fishing hooks, rocks, on shore winds, gusts, blue-green algae, and short sessions. staying in SR, you'll be able to go check it relatively quick.

not sure I'll make it, but perhaps you'll see someone else!

water looks like good color just last week.

Wickiup7-28-16Landsat.png 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 06, 16 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

Planning on being there 4pm Sunday thanks for info. Hope to see others there.
Might try east Paulina Monday.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 07, 16 4:10 pm    SCORE Reply with quote

I got here at 230 landed just before 5. It blew good 12m most of the time. It would shut down occasionally in 5 min spurts then switch direction slightly. Fun cruising through the stumps. Now I'm off to get brew and pizza. Woo-hoo good time.

AndyD

Since 17 Mar 2008
53 Posts
Bend, OR

PostSun Aug 07, 16 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

A couple of us, just moved to Bend kiters, gave it a go on Cultus this afternoon. Fun time on my foil for sure. Huge jumps in the big gusts.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

OC,

When you were kiting Wickiup on Sunday, do you think a foil would work at that water level. I've kited East Lake, Wickiup and Cescent so far. But this time of year, I'm stump phobic. But I have yet to bring the foil out to any of the lakes.

Way to go get it and thanks for the beta!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

I have a conference down there next week. Haven't seen the schedule yet, but there's often a sucky afternoon that makes me think my time could be better spent on the water. I've been told Crescent was a decent spot. Doable? Shorty? Best launch? Thanks.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
OC,

When you were kiting Wickiup on Sunday, do you think a foil would work at that water level. I've kited East Lake, Wickiup and Cescent so far. But this time of year, I'm stump phobic. But I have yet to bring the foil out to any of the lakes.

Way to go get it and thanks for the beta!

I don't think a foil would be too good there unless you walked way out. A fisherman said the water level was at 38%? outside the stump fields I was seeing a lot of sand under shallow water and occasional dark shadow of a stump in the deeper water. There were even little islands and peninsulas. Out in the center and most of the way to the south side appeared fairly deep and dark. There were boats running around still and landing at the north boat ramp.
I liked running through the stumps and thought it would have been even more fun without fins.
I'll probably go back at the end of August. I want to try East lake also.

Wikiup
 Wikiup  20160807_150151.2.jpg 

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 09, 16 5:48 am     Reply with quote

Looks like a Bosnian mine field.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 23, 16 7:35 am    Todd Lake for kiting? Reply with quote

[quote="Occupied Columbia"

I want to try East lake also.[/quote]

East lake has shallows, but they are around the rim of the crater lake. Plenty of deep water for foils and no stumps 10 to 20 yards into the lake. It depends where one is on the lake.

SO I've always seen sailboats at Todd Lake. Have any of you kited there yet? I know of a blue haired woman who used to teach windsurfing there in the afternoons and evenings when the summer winds would kick in. What is the launch like?

Thanks!

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostFri Aug 26, 16 7:12 am    C.O. Lakes Reply with quote

Todd Lake is a 1/4 mile hike up into the woods, with no boats. I think you might be confusing with Elk Lake, just a few miles SW with plenty of sailboat traffic. Like all of the Cascade Lakes, access, launch and consistent wind are hard to find.

I sailed Elk, Cultus, Crescent, Wickiup and East Lake in my 16' sailboat to get a feel for it all. I just don't see where Elk is going to work. The wind is very fluky. When it blows, it will go from steady 5-6 knots to 15-20 knot gusts, then be lull to 0 for 5 minutes. Not only that, the direction of the wind can and does change a lot, from NW all the way to SE, from one side of the lake to the other. Just ask any other sailor out there.

I'd love to see a kite out there, but I just don't see it happening. Lose the wind and you'll be swimming with your kite & lines for endless shores of rocks and trees.

Crescent and Wickiup have the best launch and access, as both are reservoirs with water level that drops through the summer. Wickiup has the best fetch for afternoon NW winds, with pumice sand beaches. It can get bad blue green algae though as mentioned previously. Crescent is the nicest cleanest water, but only the far west side of the lake gets the best fetch for wind and it needs to be more West than anything.

Apparently Odell Lake is really reliable for wind. So much so, that there are signs for windsurfing. But the shore is stacked with trees and a tough only 1 place to go out and come back into safely launch.

Cultus is fabulous, but launch is tricky too, and the wind is West on shore. East lake has obsidian/pumice beach and can work when steady, but again straight onshore into the trees for your launch.

All of these lakes I think would be very cool with boat or jet ski support. See you out there.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Aug 26, 16 8:19 am     Reply with quote

DA, Thx for the info. I did in fact mean Elk Lake.

I think East lake SW boat launch would be perfect for a Dw'er to the day use obsidian black beach.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostMon Jun 05, 17 9:59 am    Bend Kiters anonymous Reply with quote

Bagged 2 sessions in the last week at Wickiup. One on the south side and one on the SE shore Saturday afternoon. It was so tough battling the crowd on the water... 1 other kiter on a 10m Naish - way to go!

Air was 70, water 54, wind blew 10-15 kts like a blow dryer and never quit, only ramping up at sunset.

Bonus, no stumps this time of year. Lots of bald eagles, white pelican and wildlife.
https://youtu.be/9-kL-d7O2hw

SE Shore 20170603.jpg 
   Wik6.3.png 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 06, 17 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Way cool. I should be out there end of July and again for the eclipse. It'd be cool to meet up with you for a sesh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: