Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sketchy launch at event site today
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tacodog1

Since 11 Jul 2015
6 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostMon Aug 15, 16 3:43 pm    Sketchy launch at event site today Reply with quote

I had an interesting incident today launching on the sandbar. Rigged my 8m rally and asked someone for a launch. I brought my kite up and sheeted out, then realized suddenly that my depower line had swung above the bar and looped around the middle lines so I couldn't depower. So I knew I could get it unraveled easily enough if I sheeted in and got the kite settled above me, but in the process I got dragged around a bit and went through someone's path. I didn't run into anything or cross kite lines, but I felt bad for getting out of control out there. This is the 2012 compstick and I never liked the depower design, but now I realize it's potentially dangerous.

First, apologies to anyone around at the time for creating a hazard on the beach. I've been kiting for ten years and this was the first time I've had something like this happen. My bad.

Second, heads up to anyone using this particular bar -- something to watch out for. I'll probably try to rig some way to manage the trim line better. Tips are welcome.

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostTue Aug 16, 16 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Too much depower!
Last edited by EasyDuzzit on Wed Aug 17, 16 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostTue Aug 16, 16 3:25 pm    Huh? Reply with quote

I use compsticks but I don't understand what happened. Could you post a picture or a more detailed description? Thanks for posting your mishap. It's great to learn from.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostTue Aug 16, 16 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

Did you have a ton of depower line pulled so it was so long it flipped over the bar into the center lines?

If that is the case, I don't think it's common to use that much depower.

tacodog1

Since 11 Jul 2015
6 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostTue Aug 16, 16 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

I actually didn't have a ton of depower. I don't have the bar with me right now but will post a pic in a few days when I get home. After thinking about it more, it might have been because I sheeted all the way in a few times quickly when I launched the kite. The guy who launched me seemed to be struggling a bit with the kite -- it was pretty windy Monday afternoon, and he was holding it a little too far toward the tip so it was bucking around on him. I just wanted to get it in the air and under my control, so when the wind filled it I gave the thumbs up, then took a couple of hard steps back and pumps to power it up and send it up into the air. I guess that gave the depower line a chance to swing over the middle lines. Now I'm starting to wonder if the kite was upwind of the edge of the window and it was just my mistake launching too soon...

Moonbase

Since 03 Aug 2015
17 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 17, 16 6:37 am     Reply with quote

If you think...you're dead. Luckily the training kicked in.

Moonbase

Since 03 Aug 2015
17 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 17, 16 6:41 am     Reply with quote

If you think...you're dead. Luckily the training kicked in.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 17, 16 7:10 am     Reply with quote

tacodog1 wrote:
The guy who launched me seemed to be struggling a bit with the kite -- it was pretty windy Monday afternoon, and he was holding it a little too far toward the tip so it was bucking around on him.

That sound like the kite was too much into power zone instead of at the edge of the window, I've seen that way too many times in HR - you should have taken few steps downwind or the guy should have taken few steps upwind to bring the kite to the edge.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 17, 16 11:28 am     Reply with quote

That happened to me quite often with the SS bar with below the bar depower.
The depower rope has a small handle on the end of it.
If you have a bit of depower pulled in - the line can get tangled on your harness hook, on your chicken loop, and even between the lines just above your bar.
Yesterday the wind was out of the North and the gusts on the sandbar were killer.
On days like that it pays to be extra careful when launching and landing.
Visually check everything 3 times before giving the thumbs up.
It also happened to me on the water - the depower line would flip up and get caught in my spreader bar hook.

Also- regarding the launch by a stranger.
Here's what I say to people launching my kite -
1. Hold the kite in the middle with both hands, not by the tip.
2. Hold it so the tip is just touching the ground.
2. When I give the thumbs up - just let go.
Don't throw the kite up into the air.

Actually I don't ever ask strangers to launch my kite on the sandbar.
There's so much room and it's so easy to self launch I do that 99% of the time.

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 17, 16 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

I notice this madness when I have to trim out a bunch on the below the bar trim compsticks (been using for 4 years). Whenever I look down and it's all tangled up in my chicken loop I'm like "ahh this looks sooo dangerous" haha. Slingy now makes an above the bar depower that I will eventually switch to now that it's an option. Until then I try not to trim down too much until I'm out on the water (if I'm that lit on the beach I probably need a smaller kite).

ivog2001

Since 29 Jul 2011
23 Posts
PNW

PostWed Aug 17, 16 10:41 pm     Reply with quote

The way I resolved the issue with the Compstick extra depower rope not to bother me and tangle up is with little magnets from Home Depot and duct tape. Wrap one magnet on the side of the hook with duck tape and the other one at the little plastic end of the depower rope. Once you start pulling the depower and have extra rope hanging, simply get it to the magnet on your hook and it will stick there and not tangle or be in the way. Should you need to pull the self release it will flag down, because the magnets are not that strong to prevent it. Sorry, don't have pics of the setup to show.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 18, 16 5:55 am    Magnets Reply with quote

It's early in the morning but I like the magnet idea

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 18, 16 6:46 am     Reply with quote

if you are ever in that situation in the future, one thing that you can do to quickly resolve whats going on is grab the section just below the swivel pulley and pull it towards you. this will act the same as pushing the bar out. it may give you enough time to resolve your tangle.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 18, 16 7:35 am     Reply with quote

This incident should be added to other "power-line-adjuster" problems... and as of the past 2 or 3 years, and because of this problematic device, there appears to be a "trending" toward the removal of both the 'above-the-bar' and 'below-the-bar' adjusters.

Bar systems which give the kiter, a longer "throw" and improved kite design, have already resulted in a combined set-up, which allow the removal of any such "power line adjuster"... even for the conditions one encounters in the Gorge.

There has been a great deal of discussion of the few "rear-line-adjustment" devices, and this presents some interesting progression on the issue... but my prediction is that, about the time such a system becomes feasible... future kite design and bar system design will cancel out any need for adjustment, that is, for the 90% of kiters, who do not care about 'unhooked' riding.

For some of us, the future is already here.

Look to Kiteforum.com for more discussion on this subject. Do a search to locate "threads" on the subject.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 18, 16 7:42 am     Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. It had nothing to do with the launcher, rather my failing to clearly check all lines before launching. I didn't notice it until I was out on the water.

The issue can happen while your kite lines are slack (either while picking up your bar, or perhaps while carrying your bar closer to the water while the launcher is carrying your kite).

It is not an issue that can occur once your kite lines have tension.

As was previously stated by others. If you haven't noticed it until it's too late to land your kite, the fix is pretty simple on the water. Simply pull down on your center lines (from a location high up by the pulley) with one hand while simultaneously feeding out the crossed depower line with your other.

Be careful not to accidentally release your safety...

Potential de-power caught in slack issue
 Potential de-power caught in slack issue  Slingshot compstick slack issues-resized.jpg 

tacodog1

Since 11 Jul 2015
6 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostSat Aug 20, 16 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great tips. It sounds like a lot of people have run into this.

@stringy - great point about just grabbing the lines up above the bar. That sort of thing is second nature in the water when relaunching but it never occurred to me in that scenario on the beach.

@bigjohn - thanks for posting the pic that clearly shows how it can happen

@ivog - nice idea with the magnets

I'm definitely going to do something about that bar because it's just not worth the risk of sh*t getting tangled. I think in the future I'll triple-check everything visually before giving the thumbs up. Better to be a little slower than get dragged across the beach

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 20, 16 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

I've had over 250 days on my 2011/12 rallys and never had this happen. I usually have the depower line cleated at 1-2" and never touch it again. The rallys just depower plenty with arm throw alone, requiring minimal depower line adjustment. If you only have 1" of depowered dangle, then there's little chance of it flipping up into your lines above the bar. If other kites need more depower line maintenance, then I can see this happening....like on a launch!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: