Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Driving to La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Drifter

Since 24 Jul 2016
1 Posts

PostSun Jul 24, 16 9:55 am    Driving to La Ventana Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new here... just in the process of moving back to OR after 13 years.

We're planning to drive to La Ventana this year and looking for anyone who might want to caravan. We'll be arriving in LV on 11/13, so should be crossing the border early on 11/12. Leaving for the drive back on 12/13. We've been going for the past few years, but have always flown to Cabo and rented a car. So we're really excited to see all of Baja.

Are people still crossing mainly at San Ysidro? Rosario or Guerrero Negro for the stopover (we'll need a dog-friendly hotel)? Any other new info? I've read through all of the existing LV threads here... lots of great info!

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 25, 16 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Cross border early and then make your first overnight stop at:
http://www.coyotecals.com/

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 30, 16 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Yes, cross at first light (or even a little before) and go. As I've stated before, it's very safe. However, we don't invite trouble. Our bladders are empty when we cross and we don't stop until well south on Ensenada. Yes, GJ for your first night if knocking out the Baja drive in two days. Another option is the east side. The road through Gonzaga has really progressed (unfortunately). You could cross at Mexicali and stay over at Gonzaga or BLA. Not sure how far the fresh road goes as of now, but it was south of Gonzaga in March '15 and I I've been told it's progressed quit a bit since. The Mexicali crossing is easy, but driving through there is more of a pain than the route through TJ. Just my musings. DO NOT buy fuel at the Pemex north of GN! Huge rip off. Fuel in GN and you can do your banking there too.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 30, 16 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Agreed. This has also always been my route for La Ventana in 2 days. I'm crossing on New Years Day so my daylight is shorter than yours... but with each day if I start at dawn or before, I end up with maybe an hour of darkness driving into Guerrero Negro and La Paz (2nd day). Driving in the dark is to be avoided in all Mexico travel. But with this I try to caravan up with whoever I see on the route near sunset. I tailgate so as to avoid the potential of a cow-strike.
Note:
Be super super cautious while driving through Ciudad Constitution (1.5 hour north of La Paz). It is well documented by many travelers that this town is nothing but a mordida trap. The stop lights all have black plastic covering them, so you must see every intersection as a 4-way stop. Do not shop or stop for any business, travel at silly very slow speeds, like 8-10 mph. And... with that you still stand a good chance of getting pulled over simply because of the US plates.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 30, 16 8:39 am     Reply with quote

^^ Thanks for that tip!! We have hung out there (bank, fuel, taco stand, RV park (2nd night when we had a late crossing due to insurance not kicking in until Noon)) in the past. We shall not mess around there next time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: