Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite injuries to ribs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Sep 14, 15 11:07 am    kite injuries to ribs? Reply with quote

This weekend I seem to have torn some rib cartilege. It happened while transitioning from toe side as I got yanked hard to my left. I have an old flimsy seat harness (for my back issues). Anyone have a similar experience? Do you think the a harness upgrade might help in the future.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 14, 15 11:18 am     Reply with quote

new seat harness if you have bruised/broken ribs - good seat harness shouldn't put pressure on your ribs

tho once they are healed and you get your lower back in shape - a standard waist harness is hard to beat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Sep 14, 15 12:33 pm    Re: kite injuries to ribs? Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
This weekend I seem to have torn some rib cartilege. It happened while transitioning from toe side as I got yanked hard to my left. I have an old flimsy seat harness (for my back issues). Anyone have a similar experience? Do you think the a harness upgrade might help in the future.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4915-0.html[url][/url]

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 15, 15 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

Bruised ribs are actually the most common injury in kite surfing. And there is no real way to avoid it (except for an impact vest). Kite long enough and eventually you will experience this impact. In the scale of potential kite injuries bruised ribs are the equivalent of a sneeze. PS don't sneeze until your ribs heal...

I don't think a waist harness will solve your problems here - as most waist harness users complain about the harness placement causing impact injury.

Hey - this is why the impact vest was invented. And an impact vest actually pairs quite nicely with a seat harness. It is a combination I use and recommend.

Some incorrectly refer to an impact vest as a life vest (they do not meet life vest requirements) - but the newest ones serve multiple purposes - visibility, additional flotation, warmth, and impact.

-A.K.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 16, 15 9:45 am     Reply with quote

That sucks. I did the same thing this summer and missed the last 3 weeks of the season. If yours is on your back then the solution for me was a lot of evenings lying on the hard floor trying to get the rib gently back into position, it worked and I'm back in the game.

Yes an impact vest would likely have prevented the problem.

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 16, 15 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Get a new harness for sure. If you ride a lot, like every day that it's windy, you need to replace your harness every two seasons for sure. Check out the new ride engine harnesses. They have a rigid back piece that might be more comfortable for your condition and they do not move on on you. One of the best harnesses ever.

Cody

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Sep 19, 15 11:11 am     Reply with quote

I landed on my ribs my first year and bruised them pretty good. It is a long recovery, and I hope you're feeling better.

I think the best thing to avoid this is more in the kite handling. You shouldn't get tugged like that unless it's something totally unavoidable like a lull / gust or you get slack in your lines. And even that situation can be handled: ie. don't turn right when the wind is weird, anticipate the wind on the water, keep the kite flying,etc... I'm not saying it's you, and I tdont' think it's the harness, it's probably more reading the wind.

I use a seat harness because I don't like the constriction around my chest of the chest harness. I'm not hitting a bunch of complicated tricks and kickers either. I like having the power down low at my core where my center of gravity is, and would think that attachment point would be less likely to cause twisting in your upper torso.

Also check out the new DYNABAR that are a harness bar on a cable that allow the chicken loop to move side to side. I would think that would allow you to move the kite away from your body position, ie. on a turn without pulling on torquing your body. That might be the ticket for your style.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 19, 15 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

I really don't think rib injuries are usually associated with your harness choice. Some of the much older harnesses allowed the bar to rotate hard up into your abdomen, however.

I'm currently dealing with another rib injury from mtb. Could be cracked, bruised, or soft tissue. Who knows, but the song remains the same regardless--time. Ironically, biking feels fine provided I don't fall, whereas kiting feels terrible so I have hung up my kites for a month, which is effectively the Gorge season for me.

Ribs just take a long time.

Eric

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Sep 21, 15 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info from all. I don't think the injury was caused by impact to water (or board) but rather an unexpectedly strong yank in the opposite direction that I was facing. I still need to try on the old harness I was using to see where the spreader bar makes contact with my ribs to see if that might have been the culprit. I will likely look at another harness for next season, too. After about 10 days my ribs are still sore but at least I can sleep without painkillers at night now.

Chipotle

Since 26 Mar 2011
70 Posts

PostMon Jul 25, 16 9:24 am    costal cartilage displacement Reply with quote

Hey, I know this is an old post but wanted to share my experience. I tore some of the costal cartilage in my lower ribcage when pivoting abruptly on a wave right after sending the kite. I think it was the spreader bar getting torqued into my body. I've met a few other kiters with the same permanent deformation consisting of a small bump on the left side of my lower ribcage.

At the time I was wearing a dakine impact vest with an integrated spreader bar. Old school design. I switched to a mystic impact vest with a traditional waist harness and have not had problems since.

I've talked to physical therapists and surgeons about repairing the cartilage but they all say leave it. It's not debilitating, just annoying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: