Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tomo Surfboards
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostSat Jul 09, 16 11:41 am     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
I disagree. Looking at the 'Shortboard Volume Recommendations' on the surfsimply.com site I see that 35L is the recommended volume for my weight - 175lbs.

The Firewire calculator is even more off the mark - it recommends a 5'11" 39.5L Vader for my weight - when in reality I would probably ride the 5'1" 22.9L.

Obviously, substantially more volume is needed when surfing since surfers need flotation while paddling out - not so for kitesurfers.

So, I say when using the volume calculators - downsize about 10L or more (shortboard) for kitesurfing.

That link is focused on non-MPH surfboards, so it's not really applicable, but it does do a good job of describing the relationship between board volume and body weight vs board length.
Since these MPH boards can be ridden smaller especially when kiting, I've come up with this "kite" sizing formula that seems to be fairly accurate.

Use Firewire's calculator to find your ideal volume size for "paddle" surfing:
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/volume-calculator-board-selector/

Click on Better Waves and then fill it out like this:
Level = Advanced
Fitness = Excellent
Age = For 35 and over, put in 30
Weight = xyz
Body Type = xyz
Size down 1-3 liters from the recommended lowest volume or the board model if listed.

Since the kite versions only come in 2" increments you may be in between volumes. If so, go for the smaller size.

Based on "my" formula, at 175lbs the Vader 5'3 at 25.8L is recommended for "paddle" surfing. Size down 3L and you're now at 22.8L. The Vader 5'1 is 22.9L, so just like you said, this would be your most ideal size for kiting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: