Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dana Miller Essay - POV from a windsurfer.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 20, 16 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

2 things here
1. I don't know what picture you guys were looking at (snake this, right of way that) but that looked to me like 2 riders having mega fun on a great section together

2. A lot of the trouble between gear types is misinterpreted by both parties in the beginning. That's why it settles out fairly quickly for the most part. If you are a skier and used to seeing other skiers only you get used to the lines they ride. When a snowboarder shows up it is/can be a very different line and until you see it enough it looks weird and seem dangerous at first. Just like kiters and windsurfers, different lines and takes a little time to figure out what that weird kite rider is going to do.
But that is not even the biggest part of it. When snowboarders or kiters first show up they seem dangerous to the established other sport because they are MOSTLY beginners and ARE dangerous. Not because of the different gear but because they are beginners and do not have the best control over themselves or their gear. So they get labeled dangerous and even as they improve the label sticks because their are generally more beginners coming up behind them to continue the trend. As the new sport matures and the majority of riders improve and learn the unspoken rules, it all takes care of itself. So, relax and go play, it's all right on the natural course of new craziness, imo.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Jun 20, 16 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Derek, that is quite the first post and thank you for the insightful lesson. Your desire to resurrect a 2013 thread to "touch on a few subjects" and rehash the obvious speaks volumes on why you chose windsurfing over kiting for your chosen summer fun.

Us "windy's" are just fine enjoying the stoke and it's okay to go on your Hatteras trip next Spring with your mixed gear partner as you'll both be welcomed with open arms on the bus.

Welcome to nwkite......I think. Rolling Eyes

kite_nomad

Since 10 Apr 2015
32 Posts

PostTue Jun 21, 16 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

Lame, used to windsurf, never had any issues with the windsurfers, or know any windsurfers that have problems with the kiteboarders. Just show others respect on the water, especially in the waves as they seem to bring the worst out of people, and there's no issues.

This guys identity seems to be welded to windsurfing, which is quickly dying to kiteboarding, so at least I can understand the hate.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 22, 16 9:41 am     Reply with quote

DerikThin wrote:
Really what it came down to was "is that something that I can easily involve my sons in while also making me happy and love summer"

I take my son and sometimes a friend of his out on my SUP with my kite and he has a blast doing it. We are able to stay upwind (with just him, with 2 kids it's a battle just holding ground) and plane easily. The key is to kneel and treat it like a tiny sailboat instead of treating it like a giant kiteboard.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Jun 22, 16 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

History, humor, insight, humility, veracity; some fine writing there by Mr. Soul. You've heard the phrase "live to sail, sail to live", well there it is in every phrase written on that Van...you can call it windsurfing or kitesurfing but in the end, we're all just sailors, "ridin' with the wind".

Roll on Mr. Miller, there's always another wave around the next bend waiting on your incessant stoke!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: