Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jones kitemare this afternoon - thanks for your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jun 20, 16 9:59 pm    Jones kitemare this afternoon - thanks for your help Reply with quote

Hi guys big shout out to Jim and Cal for helping us today to get out of the bind.
Long story short a short lull in the wind at the entrance to the the channel leading to the ponds ended up in my kite falling and crossing lines with my buddy's kite. In the end we had to jettison both kites and find our way back to the Oregon side.

That's when both guys showed up, offered their help (and time), and dragged us back to safety. We were tired, pissed at the mishap, spent too much time in the water instead of being to be on it but in the end no harm.

It's great to know that no matter what happens as long as there other kiters around you can count on someone helping you out in need.

Thank you guys, we owe you bunch of beers and I'm sure you earned huge Karma points.

Coincidentally... if anyone comes across two entangled kites down wind from Jones pls hit me with the news. Both are 10m Slingshots. One is a gray Key the other is black and red REV with green accents (going to post it in L&F section too).

Last edited by Bokeh on Tue Jun 21, 16 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Makani

Since 19 Aug 2014
15 Posts

PostMon Jun 20, 16 10:54 pm     Reply with quote

That was Cal and Jim who got you back to jones. None of us on shore saw the kites wrap, so we were baffled as to why they were doing so much body dragging. Then I was wondering why there were four people on shore with wetsuits. Took ages for me to clue in. Glad they got you guys back.

Snapped this of Cal and ? When you guys were close to western beaches of jones. Sorry about the kites.

jonesRescue.jpg 

Last edited by Makani on Tue Jun 21, 16 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostTue Jun 21, 16 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying the names Again big props to both Cal and Jim! We owe you guys!

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jun 21, 16 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Had to dump a kite at Jones a long time ago, fishing boat hauled it in and called me next day. Hope you had a phone number on it.

Hope they show up

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jun 21, 16 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Just glad we could be there to help... you guys were great, stayed calm and collected in a sketchy situation. Sorry you lost your kites... totally sucks but kudos to the both of you for being willing to release them when you felt the need. If it makes you feel any better, you're by no means alone in sacrificing a kite to the wind gods... its happened to plenty of others, myself included.

Bokeh

Since 07 Feb 2008
104 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Stoked

PostTue Jun 21, 16 7:53 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, putting phone number not only on the board but also on a kite is a great idea. Definitely will do that going forward! Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: