Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

San Juan Islands Washington state

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostFri Oct 16, 09 3:24 pm    San Juan Islands Washington state Reply with quote

Has anyone done any extensive exploration of kiting spots in the San Juan Islands?
I would love to find out any good kiting spots.
It's all flat water----but could be fun in winter or summer.

Also wondering if any ocean swells get in and if anyone has ever heard of any small wave surfing in those islands?
I know that Port Angeles, just to it's south, does get decent swell sometimes so it seems possible.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 16, 09 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

I grew up sailing the San Juans as a kid and still keep a boat up there right now. For Kiteboarding potential the San Juans are not too friendly, unless you have a support boat or flippers. The winds are fickle and the currents are strong.
The only couple of places that know of where friends windsurf (and have tried kiting) are :
Fishermans Cove on the West side of Lopez Island, probably the best option. Think big lagoon. Works for north or south winds.
South Beach on the south end of San Juan Island, best during SE fronts or high pressure westerlies(either side of the peninsula, but you definitely want to have a set of swim fins for an 'oh shit' scenario) and Cattle Point on the south side of the peninsula boarding Friday Harbor.
And, lastly East Bay on Orcas Island for either southerly storm fronts or high pressure thermals in the summer from the north (would actually need a boat launch for kiting).

The best spot, nearest to the San Juans, is on the mainland just east of the town of Anacortes. The launch is called Bay View State Park on Padilla Bay. Or, even heading down to the south on the west side of Whidbey Island at Ebeys Landing or on West Beach (both are either good for high pressure westerlies or post frontal weather patterns).

These are just places I have either attempted or have learned about via local friends living on the islands.

You might also check in at PSKite.com for more detailed info from any locals up there.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 17, 09 5:34 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

You might also check in at PSKite.com for more detailed info from any locals up there.

Pepi

PM Jouquin on PSK, he lives there and claims to be kiting.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostSat Oct 17, 09 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

What about surf.
Do they ever get ANY swell in the islands?
I am sure it would be small windswell.....but kayak surfing or longboard surfing? Maybe standup?

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 17, 09 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

http://danwebb.com/surfing/
Quotes:
"Good Surf Breaks in the Pacific Northwest
Strait of San Juan de Fuca -- West of Port Angeles

Salt Creek (Crescent Bay), west of Port Angeles, WA -- easy sloping sand bottom, caves and interesting shoreline to explore, playground for kids -- Call Heath Foxlee (purchased my waveski) at 360.681.7911 (home) or 360.683.9895 (work).

If the swell is from the NW (280° to 315°) and about 10 ft. (350 Hs) with an interval of 10 sec or more, then it is quite likely that the surf will be good enough to board surf. (With a whitewater kayak or waveski, we can surf a wider range of conditions.)

Crescent Bay was breaking on 8/27/2004 on an incoming tide when Grays Harbor waverider buoy showed 200 Hs (6 ft.) swell from 280°, giving 15-second rides. Look for 350 Hs (10 ft.) to 400 Hs (12 ft.) at 17-second intervals from the NW (280° to 315°) -- incoming tide is best.

Elwha Rivermouth, west of Port Angeles, WA -- surfing video "

Cascadiarch

Since 13 Jun 2014
4 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostTue May 31, 16 11:19 am    Lopez Island 2016 Reply with quote

How did Lopez Island work out? I will be visiting there in July and want to bring my kites. Any on-site descriptions and conditions appreciated!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 31, 16 4:56 pm    Re: Lopez Island 2016 Reply with quote

Cascadiarch wrote:
How did Lopez Island work out? I will be visiting there in July and want to bring my kites. Any on-site descriptions and conditions appreciated!

Fishermans Cove, afternoon NWesterlies, but depends on how busy the area is with boat anchorages.

www.Purestokesports.com

Cascadiarch

Since 13 Jun 2014
4 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostWed Jun 01, 16 5:06 pm    Lopez Island Reply with quote

Thanks, Pepi. I'll check it out. Still have a month to make friends with a boater...

ZigZag

Since 28 Mar 2012
4 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jun 10, 16 8:30 am     Reply with quote

you could always catch the boat over to Vancouver Island which has great SW thermals in the Juan de Fuca at Gordons Beach in Sooke or further up at Jordon River or in Victoria the local Cook St spot near Clover Point is great!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: