Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard fin placement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 6:26 am    Surfboard fin placement? Reply with quote

I have a 2015 SS angry swallow 5'4" it has 5 fcs2 boxes. I noticed the 2016 has three.
I am new to surfboards. I usually go to Fort Stevens a lot in the winter some in the summer. I may go more in the summer with a surfboard. I don't plan on using it much on the river. I'm 180lbs.
My questions are...
anyone with experience on this board?
are you using 2,3,4 or 5 fins?
and which fins do you use?
Thanks

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 7:39 am     Reply with quote

I have the 2014 T-Rex, I believe it's pretty similar. The thruster setup works good, more of an all-round setup, but I preferred the quad setup, it makes the board a little more exciting in the waves, a bit faster and easier to ride in the critical sections. I found the stock front fins are too big, went with some M3 size front fins instead. The rear fins were fine. Using all 5 fins makes the board too slow, 2 fins too loose.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. I think your right on TRex being same. If I start out with factory fins, Would you go big fins front small in back quad setup?

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 11:01 am    yes Reply with quote

Generally for Quads, you use the larger fins up front and the smaller in the rear

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 11:28 am     Reply with quote

just make sure you put 'em in the right direction!

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 12:15 pm    Fins - not all created equal Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
I preferred the quad setup, it makes the board a little more exciting in the waves, a bit faster and easier to ride in the critical sections. I found the stock front fins are too big, went with some M3 size front fins instead. The rear fins were fine. Using all 5 fins makes the board too slow, 2 fins too loose.

1. With the Quads:
What were the symptoms of front fins being too large?

What works for a coastal wave is probably different that what works for river swell. Fin materials and architecture could have up-wind attributes with trade-offs with pivot vs. stability. Up-wind abilities (drive w/less crabbing) w/kites may challenge free surf characteristics (down the line).

2. Anyone with solid info to support this?

Check the range of fin build & performance.
https://vimeo.com/130830385

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 09, 16 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

The symptom of fins too large is too tight and can't break loose the tail. Front fins too large? My future controllers are large and if overpowered will hydrofoil the board into an Ollie if I take pressure off the edge. Fun trick but annoying out the back when you spot a wave to turn onto and ease off, then the board flies out of the water in front of you... Or just catch a chop wrong. Good in the light winds though.

I think in kiting generally most seem to find the solid glass fins hold up better, and the stiffness is needed more often than not. Consider if you are powered and riding upwind or even reaching, it's like being in the apex of a big bottom turn - heavy pressure on the fins - the entire time.
Too flexy and they can wash out, feel vague, more fragile, break easily etc.
But one thing that can help a kitesurf board feel snappy, even with solid glass or similar stiff front fins, is to use a back fin (fins with a quad) that is softer. On a thruster this can reduce the feel of drag from the trailer. Even better may be to just use a nubster as trailer.
For years I rode a thruster as a twin, it only occasionally felt too squirrelly.
Now I am mixing it up more....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: