Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foiling/Waves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Chromatrix

Since 16 May 2016
4 Posts
Hood River, OR
Kook

PostThu May 19, 16 12:51 pm    Foiling/Waves Reply with quote

Why do people who foil head for the waves? Do they carve down them like surfers? They seem to smoothly hover above all the chop like they're riding an aethereal plane without the bump and jump.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 20, 16 9:11 am     Reply with quote

so basically riding a foil is like a powder day. every day.
from my experience, I love to ride swell. I don't think many foil manufacturers have picked up on this yet as many are racer focused. but here in the gorge, we get good swell. once you find the right kite to drift, you can ride those faces and carve them with nice bottom turns. I do about 9 reaches to get to swell city from the event site. once there I ride swell down. I'm only good for one run as my leg burns from carving so much
I've also taken it to the north coast and ridden in the waves. my experience is there is serious turbulence in the wash but on the outside you can ride the outer swell for an amazing experience!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostSat May 21, 16 8:39 am     Reply with quote

I am still novice enough that I can't give expert feedback....but I have played around in rolling swell (not breaking) and you can really notice the acceleration as you catch a wave. (at the beginner stage that's a challenge in itself....how to spill off that sudden burst of speed)

I can see how it would be super fun to cruise around in large swells, like snowboarding powder. Some people have described it as probably the same feeling as why dolphins ride waves....not slashing or gouging wave faces, but riding along inside the moving band of energy. Pretty cool!

Anyways....I am surf first for kiting, and can never get enough, so that means if there's swell I'll be on surfboard not foil, which also means I'll probably never get enough practice on this to get good at it. Unless I move to Maui and kite 200 days a year, then lots of time to experiment. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: