Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard deck hooks for foil?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 06, 16 11:34 pm    Surfboard deck hooks for foil? Reply with quote

To keep from breaking both feet when stuck in straps? Or any other ideas?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 07, 16 5:39 am     Reply with quote

NSI on the Heights in Hood River is selling some nice "hooks" that Stringy developed. Saw many at the E Site last week and all riders were happy. Helps with controlling the board for waterstarts, as well as boosts.
Reply with your purchase results, because I need these too.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 07, 16 7:08 am     Reply with quote

hey space,
I worked on a foot hook design this past winter after a mishap with foot straps left me in some serious pain! I had my foot tweaked on a crash probably due to tightness from thick booties so was inspired to come up with a better solution for riding with thick booties.
this past winter, with input from other foilboarders, developed and tested the hooks in all conditions and they have allowed us to ride with minimal issues. you can still easily manage your foil board on water starting while maintain the proper foot placement. if you pearl the board your feet should always fall out of the hooks freely.
I highly recommend this foot hook for riders looking at learning to foil.
I've have used this hook to teach others to foil and its very effective.
North Shore Inc is located over by north pacific and the sub shop.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=425&idcategory=203

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 08, 16 6:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys and thanks Stringy.

Paul

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun May 08, 16 7:11 am     Reply with quote

NSI has always had great products. But they are lacking on pics and descriptions. A vid on a new product would be nice too.

Just got burned on an ebay snowkite purchase that I should have asked more questions on, so for $80, I am going to ask.

How is it made? Internal metal support?

Can you pull off a backroll with them?

What hole pattern do you need? LF Kitefish compatible (2 holes would be needed to mount a single hook and keep it from spinning - LFKF holes are in line)?

Not trying to get info to make them myself, just want to know if it will work for me.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 08, 16 7:28 am    Quality Craftsmanship Reply with quote

I know Stringy will answer your questions. Like everything else He is involved with , the product is solid , quality and made in USA.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSun May 08, 16 8:00 am    NSI Hooks Reply with quote

Just to be clear, NSI have been making hooks for years but there is a new design/strong hook that is now available. It was still beta when I stopped by the store a few months back... Best advice is to call NSI to make sure you get the right product.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 08, 16 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
NSI has always had great products. But they are lacking on pics and descriptions. A vid on a new product would be nice too.

Just got burned on an ebay snowkite purchase that I should have asked more questions on, so for $80, I am going to ask.

How is it made? Internal metal support?

Can you pull off a backroll with them?

What hole pattern do you need? LF Kitefish compatible (2 holes would be needed to mount a single hook and keep it from spinning - LFKF holes are in line)?

Not trying to get info to make them myself, just want to know if it will work for me.

so these are thermo formed black ABS plastic. there is no internal support. they are intended to flex as when you attempt jibes, sometimes you can step on them. we've done back rolls with them but keep in mind if you are forceful and/or aggressive with them, they can eventually fatigue and break. they can break but what would you rather have give, your foot hook, or your foot? the foot hook was originally intended for both inline holes and the NSI style deck pads, but they are now setup so you can use them with inline holes. these work much different than the "klingon" foot hooks. those are nice, but don't do as well for foiling. what really makes these nice and finished out are the neoprene covers NSI builds over them.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 09, 16 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Just ordered some StringyHooks.

Paul

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 09, 16 9:03 am     Reply with quote

How are these hooks for boosting?

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostTue May 10, 16 8:35 pm    I'd say you can boost Reply with quote

Both of these are well over 20' so that should answer any questions. But hey I'm still a beginner only be foiling since last October so you might wanna test them out yourself to be the judge.

boost resized.jpg 
   BO resized.jpg 

surfncap

Since 06 Mar 2007
77 Posts
NE

PostMon May 23, 16 4:53 am    Hooks Reply with quote

Stringy hooks rule. Got em for Foil & Surfboards.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 23, 16 5:38 am     Reply with quote

At my noob status, I have quickly found that the hooks make for much easier and faster foil-gybe progression over using conventional footstraps. I mounted using the two in-line holes after an attempt at single screw ended up with hooks rotating out of correct positioning.

For every 6 hours of my TOW learning, Tak learns in 8 1/2 minutes.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostMon May 23, 16 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

I am going to try these out.

I searched "NSI foot hooker" and came up with something completely different. The interweb is a strange and terrifying place. Cool

http://nypost.com/2013/03/10/my-kinky-life-as-a-foot-hooker/

macisback

Since 09 Jun 2016
1 Posts

PostThu Jun 09, 16 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my 1st post here!

I bought a Zeeko Slash board with a foil and I wonder if the configuration with 2 foot hookers is what I should go for or a 3 foot hookers one (front foot hookers in v-shape with a small 3mm thick steel adapter plate as inserts are in line and the foot hookers can only go on with 2 screws).
Insert distance is 2,5cm.

The advantage could be better control and comfort?
I don't use boots. I'm a complete foil newbie. My plan is to later use a 3 straps configuration for jumps and free riding.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

jrlieber

Since 04 May 2011
21 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Jun 21, 16 12:39 am    Hooks for Lift Foil Reply with quote

The Lift Foil has inserts for race style footsteps. Today I tried Stringy's (NSI's) new foot hooks but couldn't mount them far enough forward and it really cramped my style (read - I crashed SOOOO much due to feet back and close together). To be clear, I had to mount them surf style, as I couldn't figure out how to mount them race style. Any suggestions from anyone? Hooks in a race format? Perhaps the Lift is too wide anyway to ride surf style. But I think I'm back to considering riding strapless. Stringy - any advice here? Thanks a ton!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 21, 16 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

hey jamie,
I think i understand what is happening. I can make you some aluminum extension plates so you can have them offset giving you your optimal foot position on the deck. I'll try to make some tomorrow and bring them out to HR if you're still there.
send me a PM and we can connect. I can make them and take a pic and show you what it looks like if you want.

jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: