Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Fatty's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostSat Apr 30, 16 6:33 am    OT: Fatty's Reply with quote

Go onto mtn. bike forums & things get nerdy/techy too fast for me so I thought I'd ask here. I have a buddy telling me to get rid of my full suspension bike or add a Fat Bike. He says he almost never rides his hi-tech full suspension any more because he loves his fat bike so much better(Carbon frame & front suspension 4.0 x 27.5 wheels). Anyone else here in that same frame of mind? I have to admit my full susp. bike is run-of-the-mill(basic Trek) so am thinking major upgrade but just trying to decide which direction to go. I don't foresee riding in snow much but you never know.

Opinions?
Recommendations?

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 30, 16 6:50 am     Reply with quote

My sister demo'd a bunch of bikes and settled on this 3 inch tire width bike. I told her not to get it, but she said it felt the best of the bunch including all the major brands coming out of Santa Cruz, CA. Runs tubeless @ 20-25 psi and she can peddle it as if it were a regular all mountain bike.

Specialized Rhyme FSR Comp Carbon 6Fattie

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 01, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Specialized stump jumper 6fattie. The best of all worlds!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostSun May 01, 16 9:55 am     Reply with quote

people who ride fat tire bikes fail to understand the basic rules of physics and the effects of rotating mass.

unless you live on the beach, their are better options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSun May 01, 16 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Fat tire bikes were made for wasted youths to pedal in the sand at burning man thats about all they are good for

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 01, 16 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Ohhh.....I totally thought this thread was about something else!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun May 01, 16 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

What might be right for your buddy, may or may not be right for you. What kind of riding do you like to do, and what are the people you usually ride with riding?

There is a lot that goes into the process of what bike to ride, but I must say that the new geometry (long low and slack) of modern full suspension bikes make them super fun for fast technical riding.

I built up a plus sized tire bike, and it is fun on the downs, not so much on the climbs. True fat bikes are even worse in that regard. You should certainly demo some bikes, and if you are really curious about a fat bike, ride your buddies and see if you like it.

The main thing is deciding what you really want to do with a mountain bike, and getting the bike that will do that best.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 02, 16 11:47 am     Reply with quote

So, is there any benefit to fat tires outside of sand and snow? Why do I see so many on the trails?

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon May 02, 16 11:52 am    Traction Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
So, is there any benefit to fat tires outside of sand and snow? Why do I see so many on the trails?

It's all about better traction. There is an advantage on regular trails, but also a disadvantage. Along with that greater traction, comes greater weight, and greater rolling resistance. The typical tire choice/tire size debate that we all have to grapple with, just with another twist, and several more options to that choice.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 03, 16 7:23 am     Reply with quote

funny to read some of these comments. Apparently some of these opinions are probably based on what they've heard and not actually experienced.
I have a fat tire setup that gets used quite a bit from October through March. took it to baja this winter and stoked to ride on those trails. rode it on the beach but really who wants to ride in the soft sand? kind of challenging and boring. took it to MSH this winter on a warm day. hard to pedal in the slush but in the right conditions, it's great on the snow. just drop the PSI to 4 and it rips up on the snow.
so what I've found with the fatties is they are great for winter time conditions. I get out at least once a week (rain or shine) up in the couve at cold creek. when it's wet (or even snowing), I wouldn't even consider my 29er full suspension because of the conditions. having a hard tail fatty allows much better traction over wet and slick rocks. you don't necessarily need full suspension but they do make them like that. I recommend a front shock so you can run the front tire a bit harder so it won't auto steer. when conditions change for stellar riding, I still jump on my 29er. I have ridden my fatty at places like sandy ridge no problem. not much riding at post but have hit syncline a bunch during the winter months.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue May 03, 16 10:18 am     Reply with quote

try one, see if you like it.

I've ridden some fatbikes, I'm not into it personally. The "plus" bikes aren't really my gig either. I run 2.3 or 2.4 wide tires year round in Post Canyon on a full suspension rig and its all I need.

Some people are saying the "plus" tires are really made for ebikes, which aren't bikes because they have motors... but that's another discussion in "philosophy of use" altogether.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: