Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting access is no longer allowed via Timberline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 29, 16 2:26 pm    Snowkiting access is no longer allowed via Timberline Reply with quote

Got an email from Timberline Resort Management.
Bad news boys and girls.

New Timberline Snow Kiting Policy :
"Timberline does not allow snow kiteboarding or snow kite skiing anywhere inside the ski area boundary. Passengers are not permitted to board any Timberline chairlift with a kite and/or related equipment. Accessing the USFS Wilderness Area with snow kite equipment through the Timberline permit area is not permitted."

This means no kite gear is allowed in their permitted area at all, and they are making an official statement now regarding Forest Service Land.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain-safety/#sthash.eyr28Ybx.dpuf

- Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
I feel that his decision may have been made with a bit of harshness due to specific incidents that were mostly isolated to a heated incident between individuals and management over lift ticket rules. Wonder if we can write a letter of appeal to the resort.

www.Purestokesports.com

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostFri Apr 29, 16 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

Bummer! I'll never say "never", but it doesn't sound good at all. I hope they will change their ruling.

Perhaps we could have Djs084 aka asshat kook
write the letter of appeal for us?

[url]http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-38086.html&highlight=[url]

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 30, 16 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Have you tried putting your kite in a golf bag? Smile

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 30, 16 12:22 pm    Re: Snowkiting access is no longer allowed via Timberline Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Got an email from Timberline Resort Management.
Bad news boys and girls.

New Timberline Snow Kiting Policy :
"Timberline does not allow snow kiteboarding or snow kite skiing anywhere inside the ski area boundary. Passengers are not permitted to board any Timberline chairlift with a kite and/or related equipment. Accessing the USFS Wilderness Area with snow kite equipment through the Timberline permit area is not permitted."

This means no kite gear is allowed in their permitted area at all, and they are making an official statement now regarding Forest Service Land.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain-safety/#sthash.eyr28Ybx.dpuf

- Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
I feel that his decision may have been made with a bit of harshness due to specific incidents that were mostly isolated to a heated incident between individuals and management over lift ticket rules. Wonder if we can write a letter of appeal to the resort.

Hi All , here in Alberta Sunshine Village ski resort allows us to use the Gondola for a reduced fee to access the kiting area and that is in a National Park ! Some buy it and if the wind sucks they ride the mountain . It's wrong and should not be done but no lift tickets are checked once off the gondola so.... Ya it's like 95$ to ride the mountain and 40$ for a gondola pass . It may happen here too that it gets shut down but so far OK . We hope those that try to save the cost realize that they jeopardize it for all as in this case apparently , belch , just fine the ones at issue and carry on for goodness sake
I don't understand why this has happened to your area . Punishing all over someone else's issue is so childish and wrong .
I just saw a KSPS program on the beginning of the Forest service in the USA , the first group and the fires they fought and all the work to ensure the forest was used in a proper sustainable manner . How it ensured access to all for future enjoyment !
Something needs to be worked out without a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense .
hope it does .
JackZ

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostSun May 01, 16 10:03 am     Reply with quote

here is the appropriate method for accessing the lifts to snowkite.

1. approach lift with kite gear.
2. liftie asks " what is in that bag"
3. pull out two big fat joints and say "it's my lunch and warm jacket" and hand him joints.
4. proceed directly to lift
5. tell everyone you hiked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostMon May 02, 16 4:16 am     Reply with quote

^ that will work

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 02, 16 7:06 am     Reply with quote

I heard this was coming... Sad

I can see them dictating what is carried onto the chair lifts, but blocking people from hiking up with a kite? What tha'?!

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostMon May 02, 16 9:56 am     Reply with quote

One of the few benefits to "getting old" as I see it, is remembering what you used to be able to do before X, Y or Z shut you down. For example, I can remember flying my 2 line 3m Slingshot around at Meadows in the Badlands area before they put the Vista lift in place.

Sign of the times, there's more to come, gives you reason to enjoy whatever you're doing today because it's likely going away tomorrow. To some degree anyway...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: