Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ACL
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Nov 20, 06 8:16 am     Reply with quote

NateDogg wrote:
Rebound is kick ass for sure. Last year around this time I was on the injured list because of an inflamed bursa sac on my right hip...when the training room at school was saying 4 to 6 months before even light jogging, Rebound had me back up to 80 miles per week in 2 months. It's the intensive rehab that works!

Nates right.. Thumb's Up .....if your gonna go under the knife, have Rebound do the work.
My dad had a total knee replacement last year. He was in a car accident and had developed a knee problem that lasted for years..We took him to rebound. Soon after - the operation was a complete success...However, the recovery time took longer than expected (months). Today, he's good as new...In the meantime, I think Lance_k is right...You should use a knee brace..
I ended up with a knee sprain of some sort during the summer.
(All I can say is: Bend those knees after jumping and landing - especially on a bigger board... Shocked )
But, Just after 2 weeks on the injured list, I bought a knee brace and was back on the water. Depending on your injury, it can make a difference.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Nov 20, 06 8:16 am    rehab Reply with quote

after having a minor scope i had complications and had an unusually long recovery time for such a small surgery.

My advice is get a good doc but get a better therapist and meet with them prior to your surgery. Doc's are good at cutting but thats where their expertise ends. a good therapist is as important as a good doc in my opinion.

ryan

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Nov 20, 06 8:17 am    rehab Reply with quote

after having a minor scope i had complications and had an unusually long recovery time for such a small surgery.

My advice is get a good doc but get a better therapist and meet with them prior to your surgery. Doc's are good at cutting but thats where their expertise ends. a good therapist is as important as a good doc in my opinion.

ryan

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Jan 10, 07 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

lance_k wrote:
Quote:
they recommended the patellar tendon repair for long term strength and sports instead of hamstring graft,

I have had the patellar and hamstring graft. Do NOT get the patellar! That is way old school and provides only a longer and way more painful recovery time. Patellar are more prone to arthritis when you get older too.

The argument says something like it is stronger, but the hamstring is 3 times stronger that you natural acl.

JK wrote:
I can second that-- Do not get the Pateller!

Dr. Reccommendations here in town: Dr. Scott Grewe -- Trailblazer Basketball knee doc. (At the Rose Garden : REBOUND)

So I'm going in Jan 24th to have my ACL surgery. I have to pick between patellar and hamstring. My doc says that younger athletes you uses the patellar and older people he uses hamstring. I'm right in between young and old so I could do either.

He said Patellar will have less movement of the knee, a little longer rehab time, and a slight chance of cracking your patella if you played "football" or another impact sport and got hit dead on in the knee. This chance of "cracking" would only be the first year or so and is not common. On the other side is the hamstring. He said that the hamstring heals faster but the drawback is that there will always be a very slight movement in the knee of 1/2 centimeter or so. It doesn't mean that it is weaker, it just moves a little more. Now my knee has movement of over a centimeter so there would be a drastic improvement. Also his opinion is that my ACL reconstruction is being done to keep my knee from blowing out, I'm not having any stabilization problems with my knee movement well over a centimeter so a very slight movement would not be a problem.

I'm curious what you guys think. I was initially thinking patellar even with the longer rehab for the added support, but after rereading this I am second guessing that, and thinking the hamstring may be the way to go.

Lance and JK do you notice any movement in your knee?

thanks again,
Andy

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Jan 10, 07 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

There hope for you ACL victoms.
I was learning how to "pull the trigger" mid July Riding my 7m waroo fully powered up when all of a sudden I got so much air I totally freaked out and drop from the sky and landed FUCKING HARD!!!!!!!!! I self rescued to shore and watched the knee bone swell like a pig. Went to see the doc and she told me know problem, physical test look like you only brused your knee. After about 6 weeks of taken it easy I started to kite again, I even went to Hatters twice.

After the season I went in for an MRI and X-Rays. The results came back.......TORN ALC!!!!!!! MAJOR BUMMER.

Had my surgery yesterday 9-Jan-07, Dr Newman (Rebound) found a fully intack ACL and some dented minisckal (Spelling???) cartilage. I will be back in about 6 weeks. No problem.

Now Im preparing to have my shoulder worked on in 3 to 4 weeks. Got to get this shit done ASAP... the windy season us up and comming and I dont want to miss it.

Surgery was a breese, the drugs truly mess with your head.

See you at the Party this Saturday....Im the one with cructhes.

Later.

On ya dont forget

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jan 10, 07 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Here's to a fast recovery JPizzle! See ya Saturday. Beer and Oxy, mmm, delicious! Wink

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jan 10, 07 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
So I'm going in Jan 24th to have my ACL surgery. I have to pick between patellar and hamstring. My doc says that younger athletes you uses the patellar and older people he uses hamstring. I'm right in between young and old so I could do either.

He said Patellar will have less movement of the knee, a little longer rehab time, and a slight chance of cracking your patella if you played "football" or another impact sport and got hit dead on in the knee. This chance of "cracking" would only be the first year or so and is not common. On the other side is the hamstring. He said that the hamstring heals faster but the drawback is that there will always be a very slight movement in the knee of 1/2 centimeter or so. It doesn't mean that it is weaker, it just moves a little more. Now my knee has movement of over a centimeter so there would be a drastic improvement. Also his opinion is that my ACL reconstruction is being done to keep my knee from blowing out, I'm not having any stabilization problems with my knee movement well over a centimeter so a very slight movement would not be a problem.

I'm curious what you guys think. I was initially thinking patellar even with the longer rehab for the added support, but after rereading this I am second guessing that, and thinking the hamstring may be the way to go.

Lance and JK do you notice any movement in your knee?

thanks again,
Andy

I don't like the sound of that doctor- don't know something doesn't sound right. He sounds unsure of himself. Do your research... take the time if you can and go to Park City and have Dr. Cooley do it. Ski doctors are WAY more informed and practiced on this than urban doctors. I SWEAR I know from having done both knees in both methods from both kinds of docs.

The hamstring is 8 times stronger than your natural ACL. There is no movement more in my knee than before the injury. BUT THAT IS BECAUSE OF THE SURGEN'S SKILLS. Don't buy that BS about the patellar being stronger or for younger people. That is way off. The recovery is longer, the likely hood of arthritis greater and it is by far way more painful.

Without doubt the most importaint piece of gear you will EVER buy is a rebuilt knee. Remember that!

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 10, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

i have to agree with Lance. It is about the surgeon.

I had my ACL replaced with my hamstring when I turned 40. It has been solid while playing an average of three soccer games a week for five years. I went to the UW Sports Medicine Clinic.

Good Luck

Paul

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Jan 10, 07 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

I talked to my surgeon for a while. He has even called me and talked to me at home. He really seemed like he just wanted me to know all the information and make the decision myself. I trust him which I cannot say about most doctors I've had in Portland. Everything I've reasearched seems to check out. I do believe that I wanna do the hamstring though. My primary doctor knows a couple of colleagues that are skiers and had ACL surgeries from this guy, and were very happy with it. I have been very happy with my Primary doctor so I value his opinion.

thanks for the info,
Andy

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostMon Jan 22, 07 8:41 am     Reply with quote

I agree, the doctor makes a huge difference!!! Get a good one. Then get a good PT. I have been snowboarding and skate skiing for about a month now. Knee is great. Not sure why your doc isn't saying that the tissue bank is an option?

Jeb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: