Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

slingshot joint - thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Feb 04, 16 9:05 am    slingshot joint - thoughts? Reply with quote

anyone try the slingshot joint? love em, hate em? or just go boots

i've been having a problem with a reoccurring bone break in the outside of my foot. pretty sure twintip foot strap is to blame

was thinking, maybe something like the slingshot joint would help distribute the pressure on the side of my foot?

2013Joint.png 

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Feb 04, 16 9:26 am     Reply with quote

The concept looks interesting... Could be a good compromise between boots and regular straps. Probably not ideal for board-off moves but should make most other freestyle tricks easier (less change of foot coming off the strap, like in front rolls)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3JCb3eVgGs

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostThu Feb 04, 16 9:59 am     Reply with quote

I have a pair but rarely use them. The idea is great and they felt really nice on, definitely more connected than straps I'd say. Big downside with these is their weight. They weigh about twice what my Ronix boots weigh. Also, if you plan to wear them in the winter, I think anything over 2mm neo sock and your foot won't fit. If they solved the weight issue I'd buy a pair.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 04, 16 10:00 am     Reply with quote

I've got a pair of these, just haven't gotten around to mounting them. I'm trying to decide if they'll be good or bad for my bad knee. They feel great just trying them on... Pretty easy to get in and out of them, almost as easy as straps--at least in my living room. Size is obviously more critical than straps. I wear a 10.5 to 11 street shoe, the M/L was too small; the L/XL fits great.

They are on sale for cheap on Slingshot's website, but the L/XL appears to be gone. Looks like they're closing them out...

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostThu Feb 04, 16 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm Shocked

2f802e06fdb0c50a77fb817744ef9005.400x310x1.jpg 

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostThu Feb 04, 16 11:55 am     Reply with quote

I have ridden them quite a bit and they are very comfy and supportive on the feet at first. The two major downsides For me were that your heels lift when riding toe side causing raw spots (during long sessions) on your heels where they slip in and out and one foot seemed to stay in and one out on hard crashes hurting my knees and ankles. The person I sold them to had the same complaints before he threw them away. I went back to boots after using joints for less than a season because the right boots are more supportive and almost as easy to get in and out of when you get used to them. Id recomend skipping the joints and getting better straps or boots.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 04, 16 5:39 pm    Re: slingshot joint - thoughts? Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
anyone try the slingshot joint? love em, hate em? or just go boots

i've been having a problem with a reoccurring bone break in the outside of my foot. pretty sure twintip foot strap is to blame

was thinking, maybe something like the slingshot joint would help distribute the pressure on the side of my foot?

I think if I had a recurring bone break from footstraps, I might be inclined to stop using them and go to a wakestyle boot. I'm sure these will help avoid the side load/ foot twist issues associated with foot straps. real has got them pretty cheap at the moment
http://www.realwatersports.com/2012-slingshot-the-joint-kite-bindings
at $20, it's worth it to try them and see how they work for ya.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Feb 05, 16 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. yes, boots will be best for the foot for sure. i'll keep an eye out for a cheapie pair.

but until then... nice find, Jim, thanks! i just ordered a pair, shipped to my door for $25. why not for that price.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Feb 05, 16 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

birk2.jpg 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 05, 16 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
thanks for the feedback. yes, boots will be best for the foot for sure. i'll keep an eye out for a cheapie pair.

but until then... nice find, Jim, thanks! i just ordered a pair, shipped to my door for $25. why not for that price.

Only if you have small feet. Small/medium. Fit small!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: