Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Boots and Boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Boost_Ramalak

Since 26 Jan 2016
22 Posts

PostWed Feb 03, 16 12:24 pm    Boots and Boards Reply with quote

Hey was wondering if anyone had any information on what kind of boots I should invest in for my "first" pair. Wondering if it is a better idea to invest in a more expensive pair vs an inexpensive first pair.

I have a 141 2015 LF Echo that I was going to try to boot up and I was either thinking about staying with the brand and going for some LFK's.

Another set I was looking at that I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with is the Hyperlite binding system. I heard that you have to be careful with the boots you get as many wake companies don't have the same connecting points on kite boards as wake boards.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated Very Happy

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Feb 03, 16 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

Slingshot RAD 2015 or later boots are great. However, RAD 2013 were not so great (too hard to get in and out off). They come with a lots of mounting holes options so I am assuming that it would work with most boards but you will have to double check

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 04, 16 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Hyperlite system bindings work great, but are on the heavier side. Even the 2015's which have had a weight reduction are heavier than Ronix boots.

Most people have been going with Ronix for weight reasons. Recently all the companies have come out with a light binding system that resembles the baseless Ronix boot.

One boot to check out are the Slingshot KTV or any similar binding that has simple velcro straps. The simplicity they provide outweighs any strength of any other boot.

If you are on a budget - any 2012-newer Ronix boots will be excellent.

Boost_Ramalak

Since 26 Jan 2016
22 Posts

PostThu Feb 04, 16 8:44 am     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
Hyperlite system bindings work great, but are on the heavier side. Even the 2015's which have had a weight reduction are heavier than Ronix boots.

Most people have been going with Ronix for weight reasons. Recently all the companies have come out with a light binding system that resembles the baseless Ronix boot.

One boot to check out are the Slingshot KTV or any similar binding that has simple velcro straps. The simplicity they provide outweighs any strength of any other boot.

If you are on a budget - any 2012-newer Ronix boots will be excellent.

Does weight make a huge difference with boots?
The reason why I am asking is because some of the places I kite on the coast you have to walk out on barnacles and rocks to get out there which is a little bit of a hassle if I have to put on boots right at the water.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 04, 16 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Boost_Ramalak wrote:
The reason why I am asking is because some of the places I kite on the coast you have to walk out on barnacles and rocks to get out there which is a little bit of a hassle if I have to put on boots right at the water.

Hyperlite system as well as Slingshot Shredtown might be good for those occasions - since you basically have boots that are independent from the board that you can walk in and put the board on in the water - not the easiest thing to do but doable.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Feb 04, 16 9:43 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Boost_Ramalak"]
consumer wrote:

Weight - yes, you feel it in your abs a lot if you do a lot of jumps, hooked and unhooked tricks... the lighter the better for sure.

Barnacles - then you definitely want boots that you can wear to get to the water and just clip / bind to the board. It's also a better choice for the colder months

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 05, 16 6:02 am     Reply with quote

One of the best things about the hyperlite systems is being able to walk on nasty stuff! if that is a huge plus for you then go for it. You can always make up for weight by losing some flab or riding a little more powered(or larger board).

Yes weight can otherwise make a noticeable difference. I find clipping into the system bindings not as easy as lace bindings. This is probably because I am embarrassingly inflexible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: