Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on Foil Purchase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jan 25, 16 11:49 am    Advice on Foil Purchase Reply with quote

Used an LF down in TCI, and got up pretty quick using a shortened mast. Made it super easy. So was thinking of purchasing the Happy Foil and buy that short mast .
Or was thinking of getting the slingshot foil.
Question i had, do you think someone will outgrow the LF foil quickly. Slingshot looks like it might be a little harder to learn and progress, but you wont have to buy another one for ages.

Any thought?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Jan 25, 16 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe get one where you can change out the foils to suit your situation as necessary? Not real knowledgeable on what's out there, but that's what came to mind.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 25, 16 5:14 pm    Re: Advice on Foil Purchase Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Used an LF down in TCI, and got up pretty quick using a shortened mast. Made it super easy. So was thinking of purchasing the Happy Foil and buy that short mast .
Or was thinking of getting the slingshot foil.
Question i had, do you think someone will outgrow the LF foil quickly. Slingshot looks like it might be a little harder to learn and progress, but you wont have to buy another one for ages.

Any thought?

trying to learn on a "too advanced" foil setup will slow your progression. you won't get tired or outgrow it anytime soon, but you will be challenged when trying to learn how to foil with it. once you have your breakthrough, you will love it.

the lf foil is real nice because it is so modular. if you want to go with a short mast, the extrusion can be cut down fairly easily and holes retapped.
you can always purchase another mast extrusion without having to replace any other component.
as for the happy foil, this is a great change from the LF fish. you are gonna love that board. as for outgrowing a foil, I doubt it will happen very soon. I always hear riders concerned with outgrowing but really it's not going to happen at least until you've been foiling at least well into your first season. nice thing wiith the LF is they will be releasing the mid and high aspect wings this spring so you can always upgrade to those wings.

carbon vs aluminum. neither really likes to hit objects underwater but I can say that aluminum will hold up better when you're learning. carbon is nice and light, but also about double the cost.
My suggestion is to purchase the LF setup with low aspect wings. ride the shit out of them and then upgrade to the higher aspect ones. keep the low aspect ones around so when you screw up the new wings (because shit happens) you'll have a nice backup.
I'm unsure of which SS foil you are thinking of since they have a couple out now.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jan 26, 16 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jan 26, 16 11:06 am     Reply with quote

How interchangeable are the LF components? Will the 2016 wings and fuselages work with the 2015 mast? Any way to move the mast fore/aft on the kitefish short of drilling additional holes and is that a real option?

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 26, 16 11:37 am     Reply with quote

pauls wrote:
How interchangeable are the LF components? Will the 2016 wings and fuselages work with the 2015 mast? Any way to move the mast fore/aft on the kitefish short of drilling additional holes and is that a real option?

My understanding is that there is a huge degree of interchangeability and that the 2016 wings and fuse will work with a 2015 mast. As an owner of a 2015 setup I can see how this would be easy provided the mast bolts that attach to the fuse are spaced the same between the 2015 and '16 setups.

As for drilling additional holes there is some great info on this thread below. I haven't heard of anyone though, with a need to move the holes on a foil fish board that already has them. If anything, people are making longer fuselages or are waiting to use the new longer 2016 fuselages coming out soon, with their existing 2015 setups. This is providing them with a more stable ride at speed.

Be aware, I'm a foiling newb; so take my answers with a grain of salt.

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-37787.html&highlight=

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 26, 16 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

pauls wrote:

as far as I know, they are maintaining the same fuselage hole positions between the original orange masts and the new mast design. The last time I was working with LF on some development stuff the hole patterns were the same so it's safe to say they will be the same on production models. that's the beauty of what LF is doing, everything is modular so you can upgrade only the components you want

as for adjusting fore/aft position without drilling additional holes, this can be achieved with a transition plate. basically I would make an aluminum plate that bolts directly to the fish utilizing the existing hole position and some good flat head bolts that recess into the plate. I would then add a series of tapped holes that would allow adjustment. you would then use a new set of short bolts for attaching mast baseplate to transition plate.

feel free to send me a PM if you want some help with this.

phammett

Since 04 May 2009
41 Posts

PostTue Feb 02, 16 2:00 pm    Foam in mast? Reply with quote

I'm learning to foil on a LF fish and have noticed how much water the mast holds. Someone suggested filling the mast with spray foam. Any thoughts?

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Feb 02, 16 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

You can seal the the top of the extrusion plate with some packing tape (two bolts that are at the top of the mast base plate where it connects to the board). Life Caulk will work to seal around where the mast ferrules into the extrusion plate. I leave the bottom (at the fuselage) of mine un-sealed So water can escape when I pull it apart every time when I am done using it.

If you let the extrusion get hit by the sun, the air will expand inside. Then, when you put the mast in the water, the air inside will cool and you will suck up some water into the mast.

I am afraid to seal it at the bottom for fear that I will eventually have a mast full of water that I cannot get out.

If you try the spray foam thing, make sure you use some that will not let water saturate it. Most of the spray foam polyeurethanes that I know of will fill with water over time. Gorilla glue is notorious for this.

My idea for next year is to take some RTV gasket maker (automotive) and make a removable gasket for the bottom of my mast where it connects to the fuselage.

Just a reality check for me an every other foiler - I do not notice there is water in my mast anyway. But then again, maybe water is the reason I blow my back rolls on a regular basis. On second thought, I probably am just not that good of a foil jumper anyway.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 02, 16 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

I had some extra NSI deckpad foam laying around so I cut some small pieces and shoved them into the holes an inch deep, even deeper on the threaded holes. I then add 5 minute epoxy on top of the foam. I do this on each end. seems to work fine now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: