Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cabarete, DR trip report 1/18 -1/28 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSat Jan 30, 16 3:07 pm    Cabarete, DR trip report 1/18 -1/28 2016 Reply with quote

Dominican Republic trip report Jan 18-28 2016
this was my first time to the DR and some other friends were going to be there so I semi spontaneously decided to check it out. I am typically west coast/Maui/Mexico/Brazil kiter.
Due to La Nina the weather the weather was not typical. It rained for 4 out of 8 days and one day was sunny/ calm , so went and played out front on a SUP in some wonderful little shoulder high waves . The water is beautiful, you don't' worry about sharks and the reef is typically down far enough to not rip the fins off your board or rip your skin off. It was a full moon so I probably saw some of the lower tides.
I kited 3 long and 1 shorter session, 2 of them the wind completely died and I floated along with many others, I was lucky enough to gingerly kiteloop/survive to within 30 mtrs of shore, because when it died I was outside the reef and no one was around there and the waves were big. I did have to leave my surfboard behind, not knowing if I would ever find it. Well about 15 Dominican kids had there eye on me looping and it was obvious I had no board, One bigger badass guy grabbed a SUP and paddled out and got it after the waves pushed it inside. I had to pay 30 US dollars and I am cool with that. I may not have ever found it and the kids were happy. I also gave a couple kids $5 to untangle my lines and that was worth it (long story, my self rescue was interrupted so to speak by someone that floated right over me) I will say that the DR kids are semi aggressive and ready to pounce when events happen. So if you don't want help you have to be firm and say "NO, I do not want your help" They will easily swim out 150mtrs to help you and try to get money. Once you get DR pesos from the ATM or Bank, be sure to get lots of small denominations like 20/50/100 and then you will not be dupped into paying more than negotiated for cab and moto rides/food/little stores.
As far as the kiting, it is a bit crowded and a bit stupid with students and testosterone charged young DR unhooked boys and girls all in the same spot, but no worse than the Gorge or in front of Baja Joes on a crowded day. You can get away, especially with the surfboard, btw there are lots of twin tippers in the surf too. I think there is great potential for good downwinders if you have a group and share a cab to the drop off points, like the La Boca River Mouth.
I think the kiting was very fun and the fact you walk out the door of your hotel to kite was awesome(unlike Brazil) The wave playing was exceptional and when it is big, it has a overhead secondary reform mid reef. Going left or right seems to be easy enough. Outside I was lucky enough to get the biggest wave of my life (fuggin huge! : 0 )and many that were plenty big in size, all day long ; ). They were pretty big and had some good push, but didn't seem quite as heavy as Maui. I kited a 12m Neo and 9m Evo... 3 kites 7-9-12 or similar seems to be good for my 165lbs. I was on a 5'6" Celeritas which handled the bigger waves OK once I put on some better fins. (it's a little bouncy due to volume but great to go over the big whitewater piles)
My Kite Beach Hotel room on internet special cost me $60 per night including tax for a basic decent room. Tax is very high like 18% . I prepaid for room with Paypal because many places want cash. It seems like one could do some neqotiating in the mid/season. Personally I would stay in central Cabarete next time. It is closer to all the good food and kiting is less crowded. a good run on the wave to the right and you are in front of kite beach. It seems like for not too much additional and 2 people and you can get some really nice places. A place with a kitchen would be awesome. Food selection and quality was one of the big pluses for Cabarete. I can say REALLY good food, fair prices, great Happy hours/specials. I also took the longerish walk back to my hotel alone many nights from town, and thoroughly enjoyed the moonlite night. I did not feel unsafe at all. The time I walked the road, I didn't like that so much, and you can always jump on a Moto taxi for 100 pesos or .50c back to Kitebeach.
I didn't rent a car and you really don't need too. One thing I did was fly into Puerta Plata (airport code POP) made for a 25 minute cab ride. between 20 to 35 bucks. Of course everything is better if you can split expenses with others (and know spanish). I would recommend a minimum 2 week stay due to down days. There are options for down days, waterfall tour swims/ scooter rental and of course surfing and SUP, and what I did... lounging around eating and drinking.
I am wanting to go back, so that is how I will rate the DR/ at least a 7 to 8...definitely worth the experience once, and if you are already on the east coast then it's even easier to motivate for it.
happy to answer any questions if I can... happy kiting!

Last edited by runaway on Sun Jan 31, 16 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jan 30, 16 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. The DR is definitely on my list and this is great info!!!

toesinthesand

Since 08 Sep 2009
167 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSun Jan 31, 16 1:27 pm    Cabarete Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good, but only 3/10 days and you had to swim in one of those days? Let me know when if you go again.... I still have some mileage credits. Hehe

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Feb 01, 16 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

You forgot to mention if we need to bring a 3/2 or 4/3mm wetsuit there Very Happy

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostMon Feb 01, 16 7:32 pm     Reply with quote

nor wetsuit needed, but a 3/2 shorty would be ok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: