Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Consistency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jan 20, 16 3:06 pm    Consistency Reply with quote

Just returned from a bvi Kite trip. It was an amazing trip with beautiful scenery, fabulous food, and great friends. I had one head scratcher though. Left from Seattle airport. When I checked in my Kite bag I mentioned I had one golf bag. The attendant didn't buy it I guess and proceeded to inspect it. I ended up trying to smooth talk my way out of a large fee and give an explanation. Didnt matter. I was charged 150. On my way back I was charged 25 bucks, no questions asked. Bag wasn't even inspected. Coming back was so smooth with the Kite bag it actually surprised me. I am starting to think their really isn't any consistency. It seems like what you pay to check your bag is depending on the mood of the airline attendant. The first lady may have thought I was trying to pull one over her and wanted to stick it to me. I don't really know why it happened this way. Any explanation?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 20, 16 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

when you left you were sun-deprived, pale, and weak.... an easy mark for an agent trying to make their monthly quota for baggage fees.

coming home you were suntan and confident after kiting in the carribean sea with beautiful scenery, fabulous food, and great friends.... they could see that you were not a man to be messed with.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 20, 16 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

Was the first baggage fee appropriate with that airlines policy? $150 sounds about right for Caribbean. In talking with frequent fliers to the Caribbean, the locals want happy tourists when leaving. Also many of the agents in the Caribbean do not have the knowledge to identify what a kite equipment bag might look like to them. It is just about getting the customer through there small airports with little delay. Sounds like you got away cheap. I am grateful for the inconsistency. Saving a $100 on last trip.

If I know I might get a higher fee more than I want(PDX). I look at the agents and id the ones that look happier. When at the front of line, I let people behind me pass by so they get the grumpy agent. If they question the bag I admit it is a kite bag. I have gotten discounts for that over a full fee. Most all US agents know what a kite bag is.

Last edited by Anthony on Wed Jan 20, 16 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jan 20, 16 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

which airlines? some are more restrictive

but ya - you are kinda at the whim of the counter agent

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jan 20, 16 4:52 pm    Consistency Reply with quote

It was American, both ways

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostWed Jan 20, 16 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

always use curbside check in when possible.

our "golfbags" are about twice the size and 3 times the weight of a normal golf bag.

also helps if you try to look the part. e.g. golf shirt, Titleist hat, clean cut, etc.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Jan 20, 16 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

I just got back from Atlantis today and flew American also. I researched their baggage policies. They specifically state that kiteboards are $150. They also state that skim boards are just the regular baggage fee. So I used an NSI "golf" bag. I took the fins, handle, straps and pads off my twin tip and it was now my new "skimboard." I put my "skimboard" on the bottom. I put in two kites, some snorkel gear and a couple golf clubs on top. I had another kite as carry on - and put my harness, pump, bar, fins, straps and other misc. kite gear in my other regular check baggage. Leaving PDX - the American agent searched that bag. She asked me what was in the bag as she was looking through it. I told her - "some golf clubs, snorkel gear and other misc. beach gear." She even looked at the "skimboard" and said - "I guess this all looks OK." I was very polite. I was prepared to pay the $150. She was even kind of grumbling that a bag that size should cost more. ( but I kept it to 45 lbs). I just kept smiling and not really saying anything other than answering her questions. My guess is that the airlines that have a fee for kiteboards are probably on to the "golf bag" deal and some agents will do the search. Considering that I have seen skimboards that are bigger than my twintip - the policies are not really logical. I much prefer airlines like Alaska that just charge standard fees no matter what you have in your bag as long as you keep it within weight and size restrictions.

When I came home from the Bahamas - no questions. Just checked with no problems.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 20, 16 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

It would appear my experiences have been different from others.

I always pack a board bag with multiple surfboards. I also fly United (which I am considering switching from specifically because of their baggage policies).

I sometimes get through PDX without the extra surfboard bag charge. However I almost always seem to get shafted when coming back home.

Bahamas - threatened to not allow me to even take back my board bag. I said I was more than willing to pay the $150 surfboard fee, but the gal said no I was going to have to leave my surfboards there. Apparently the surfboard bag that I had traveled with to the Bahamas had grown and was now over size limits. Luckily I was holding up the line so much that another guy stepped in and shuffled me through. He kinda gave me the wink and said here let me help you out... Next thing I knew my bags were all authorized and ready for boarding. Of course I paid the extra surfboard fee...

SPI - Board fees (when they said $150 per board I might have temporarily forgotten how many boards I had packed in my bag).

LV - Paid board fee (can't remember for sure but seems like it might have been $200). In an effort to balance baggage weights I checked a couple of bars on my carry on. Apparently kitebars can be weapons of choice for terrorists. I was given the option to leave my kitebars behind or check them as an additional bag (I can't remember for sure but seems like somewhere around $125-150 range as this would be my 3rd checked bag). I of course checked them as an additional bag. Almost missed my flight in the chaos or rechecking another bag.

I have always figured that my bad luck in returning home was due to the fact they knew they had me. What am I going to do... Leave my gear? It's not like you have any options on your trip home. At least on your departing trip you can decide to store your gear in your car and rent.

Anyways I guess it comes down to luck of the draw. If they want to screw with you they are in control.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 22, 16 10:27 am     Reply with quote

i was in TCI, flew first on AMerican out of Denver. Allowance for first is three checked back. All under 50lbs.
1. NF bag with just clothes
2. Board bag with surfboard, twin tip and foil board as well as the foil
3. Golf back with three kites and harness

no charges on anything.
she asked me about the board bag, "is this bag under 62 inches>" i said of course.

I was pretty shocked

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jan 23, 16 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Curbside check is the way to go. I have had great success with them. Rarely do they charge me full fees and i don't have to carry my bags more than 5 feet or stand in line. i always make it clear that i have at least 20 bucks for them in my hand. Sadly, Hawaiian air got rid of theirs in Portland when I flew this fall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: