Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snow Dirt Bike
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 07, 15 10:25 am    Snow Dirt Bike Reply with quote

Are snow dirt bikes practical for use snow kiting? Thanks!

https://www.timbersled.com/en-us/snow-bike

Last edited by dwaynej on Fri Jan 01, 16 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Dec 07, 15 10:58 am     Reply with quote

They look like fun. BUT...
If you want to get into the steep and deep, and carry gear, I would suggest a "regular" snowmobile. Get at least a 156"x 2" track and preferably an 800cc.
Have fun.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 07, 15 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

I want to sell my sled and get one of those. I just want to access plains of abraham and this would allow you to ride it in marginal snow conditions.
Plus I could probably build a hitch mount instead of towing a trailer.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 15 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Unless the snow is hard packed there is no way one of those bikes will get you to the plains. You will sink the track. The long track makes a huge difference.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 15 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

I am also looking at the timbersleds too. I was up at Adams a few weeks ago and was taking with a few guys that were riding timbersleds. One of the guys said he could take the timbersled places he wouldn't take his sled. He said he was likely selling his sled. Of course take all that with a grain of salt.

I have no first hand experience on a timbersled but there are lots of videos showing these in a good amount of powder. In the 3 years I have been chasing the snow kite dragon I have yet to be in a place I don't think a timbersled would work.

The guide I hired to snow kite in Utah was saying he was going to trade in his sled for a timbersled. I don't know if he actually did.

I was on the fence till I saw one in action with my own eyes.

Not to mention you can convert the bike back during summer and get use out of the bike year round. You can even find plated bikes that could be used on the streets to run errands or as a commuter. Triple threat machine.

I am looking to sell my sled and have a guys interested right now. Hopefully I will be bike shopping soon.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 15 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

Those things look so awesome! Perfect thing to do with the dirt bike instead of letting it sit all winter. Need to buy a non-carb'd bike though :S

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostMon Dec 07, 15 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

I've never ridden a Timbersled but I was in Cooke City, MT in amazing powder conditions with sleds getting stuck in all sorts of places. Pow was deep & bottomless. Saw a TS come out of this $hithole I'd never dream of taking a regular sled on a packed snow day. The guy riding was a total novice on the TS that day too. It was really impressive.

It would take some craftsmanship to create a good gear hauling setup on the TS but totally doable I'm sure. If you're snowkiting in deep pow & need to park it for hours - will it stand up on its own ok? I'm sure it would flood out badly if it laid on its side long.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 15 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

From what I saw they stand up on their own in powder or packed snow no problem.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 07, 15 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

They look cool but you have a short wheel base way less horsepower you sit up higher motors not set up for high elevations and extreme cold. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun on a trail or track but you gotta go up a few really steep hills to get to da plains boss. IMHO

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostMon Dec 07, 15 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
They look cool but you have a short wheel base way less horsepower you sit up higher motors not set up for high elevations and extreme cold. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun on a trail or track but you gotta go up a few really steep hills to get to da plains boss. IMHO

Thumb's Up

For deep powder and steep hills (which you will find on St. Helens) you need the following:
Horsepower
Long track
Wide track
deep lug, (soft tip for powder)
Good track approach angle
lightweight
Did I mention Horsepower (my hillclimber had 235HP on pump gas and 295HP on race fuel)?

You will be able to take a lesser machine (in track or horsepower) in on a hardpack day or in the spring but in the deep powder you need the above. That being said, I think the Timbersled looks like fun but it won't get you the same places a good mountain machine will.

www.naishkites.com

SoCam

Since 27 Jul 2011
29 Posts
Ventura CA

PostTue Dec 08, 15 7:21 am     Reply with quote

Interesting tech.

As a dirt biker, with no snow machine experience....What's power to weight of a normal sled? I'm thinking a KTM 500 EXC with a TS appendage would be in the 300lb range, and maybe 60hp? Or is torque what it's all about in the deep stuff? Are we forced into very high end machines / 2 stroke territory to get the performance required?

Also, would gear shifts kill momentum, leading us down the rekluse clutch route?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue Dec 08, 15 7:32 am     Reply with quote

SoCam wrote:
Interesting tech.

As a dirt biker, with no snow machine experience....What's power to weight of a normal sled? I'm thinking a KTM 500 EXC with a TS appendage would be in the 300lb range, and maybe 60hp? Or is torque what it's all about in the deep stuff? Are we forced into very high end machines / 2 stroke territory to get the performance required?

Also, would gear shifts kill momentum, leading us down the rekluse clutch route?

My sled weighed 420lbs with 235HP on pump gas. 295hp on race fuel.

www.naishkites.com

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 08, 15 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback... Sounds like a maybe based on bike horsepower and big track. I also now realize automatic vs manual transmission is a serious consideration.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 08, 15 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Looks like my sled is sold.

I guess I will be the guinea pig assuming I can get a set up without breaking the bank.

I will post how it works out.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 08, 15 10:22 am     Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
Looks like my sled is sold.

I guess I will be the guinea pig assuming I can get a set up without breaking the bank.

I will post how it works out.

I was checking out the website and it seemed there was a significant cost difference in rear shock setup depending on what bike you own. Also thinking the front setup may benefit from a dual ski...

Get lots of feedback on the transmission before you commit.

Keep us updated!

Glaucomys

Since 25 Sep 2015
7 Posts
Inland NW
Kook

PostTue Dec 08, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I haven't ridden one, but the Timbersleds seem to excel at side-hilling and can cut switchbacks up very steep terrain. I don't think they go straight up the steep stuff like a hillclimbing snow machine, but rather zig zag. I know they have no problem matching the skin tracks set by backcountry skiers, even on very thickly treed slopes. I use a sled for backcountry access as it can carry / tow more.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Dec 09, 15 7:08 am     Reply with quote

It would not make sense to me to try and use as a kite access machine.

For the price of the add ons to the bike 4k plus you can buy a great sled and use your bike as designed.

If it was a great design a sled company would offer a beast similar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: