Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

winter wetsuit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 22, 15 7:13 am    winter wetsuit Reply with quote

I need a winter wetsuit and am thinking of Patagonia R4. I'm looking for a warmer suit than my R3. Any other nwkite-recommended suits out there that can cover 35-45 degree water temps without costing $500+?! In reality, I'll probably only use it 5-6x/year.

Cheers

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Nov 22, 15 9:49 am    Cold water.. Reply with quote

I use a O'Neil 4/3 Heat with a beanie, NRS Freestyle Wet-shoe and 3mm lobster finger gloves for that exact same temp range up here March, April and in to May. Then the rest of the summer is just the suit until September and October when water gets colder again.

In The Aleutians I used my 5mm BARE diving drysuit - It was a brutal struggle to bend enough at the waist to get my board on when I lost it.

A couple of seasons ago Jason Slezak and Patagonia came up testing the R series in the cold waters and had a great time.

For me - it's my feet and hands that get cold. the 4/3 keeps everything else warm. The Wet-shoe with vapor loft lining is great - keeps most of the water out and feet warm.

www.freeridekiting.com

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 22, 15 11:01 am     Reply with quote

We bought these to go over our Promotion 5/3 Storms: http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-1-5mm-hooded-vest-black-d41/

Worked really well, and we were able to get some sessions through the winter months. Next season we upgraded to Ion Fuse drysuits, which Gorge Surf Shop had on sale for $400. Great suits. Main challenge was making sure you didn't getting too hot. Lots of sessions at 40 or a bit below, but there gets to be a point for me at least where no matter how warm my core is, I can't keep the fingers or toes comfortable.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 22, 15 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

For the past two Oregon Coast winters I used my Promotion 5/3 storm with the hooded vest and both top and bottom Rashguards, very warm and had no issues with cold. On really cold days I added on top of this the long sleeve EXO kin top. Promotion says that this combination is better than their 6/4 hooded suit.

My friend uses the 6/4 hooded suit and has no issues at all. This wetsuit might be the best cost wise. Either go with the above combination or the 6/4.

The only issue with both of these approaches is getting out of the wetsuit after your done for the day. Because of this I purchased the ION dry suit and have three days on it this November. Very satisfied, but did have to work up a procedure to zip and unzip solo. I'm sure the Ocean Rodeo drysuit is better for this, but I like the construction of the ION and after working on a zip / unzip procedure I have issues.

By the way I’m using 5m boots and these mittens listed below.

Stay warm and have fun !

PRO-1.JPG 
   PRO-2.JPG 
   PRO-3.JPG 
   PRO-4.JPG 
   PRO-5.JPG 
   PRO-6.JPG 
   PRO-7.JPG 

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 22, 15 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

[quote]I'll probably only use it 5-6x/year[\quote]
Go for hyperflex or whatever's on sale then. A 6mm suit used 5x year? I wouldn't.
I made do for a long time with a cheap 7/6 tilos scuba suit, it was ok for a few sessions each winter. Lately been riding more in winter, just finally got an excel 6/5, huge improvement and still cheap (on sale)...

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 23, 15 8:44 am     Reply with quote

My favorite is the Rip Curl E-Bomb 5.5 hoody. Super stretchy and super warm, and quite a bit cheaper than the R4, Flash Bomb, etc. Having a built in hood is essential for a cold-weather suit. My daily driver cold water suit is the E-Bomb 4.5 hoody. As others have noted, a rash guard or polypro under and something (rash guard, stretchy rubber shirt, etc.) over the suit makes it even warmer. I had an R4 and found it too stiff and the wrists/ankles/neck flushed too much water; hopefully the current generation addressed that. Also had a Flash Bomb and found it too stiff.

Check out cleanlinesurf.com in Seaside, they have all their warm wetsuits on sale, E-Bomb for $323, R4 for $476. Once you have a nice warm suit, you might find you use it more than 5-6x/year.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 8:55 am     Reply with quote

The above is great, but don't forget the Promotion 6/4 is $280 list price!
Smile

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 23, 15 9:42 am    Re: winter wetsuit Reply with quote

caps wrote:
I need a winter wetsuit and am thinking of Patagonia R4. I'm looking for a warmer suit than my R3. Any other nwkite-recommended suits out there that can cover 35-45 degree water temps without costing $500+?! In reality, I'll probably only use it 5-6x/year.

Cheers

I picked up a R4 for fall kiting as I wanted something a bit warmer than my R3. I got it at cleanline for a little over $500. Josh is really cool and super helpful with helping my decision. I wore it all of october and into november just switching to drysuit last week. I think they got the cuff flushing issues resolved because I never had a problem with the new suit. I could wear it now but honestly I find it hard to not want to go with my drysuit, at least when its relentless winds pushing the windchill into the 20's.
yesterday a couple of us got out at stevenson. yeah a wetsuit probably would have worked but a drysuit makes you not even think about how cold it is.
the area you may need to focus more on would be your extremities. super hard to keep your fingers working after an hour of that kind of wind. good booties and a hood that doesn't allow water to creep into your neck area.
spend some money on some good gloves. the river is temp is dropping and we will probably see another 10 degree drop before the end of winter. I'm sure it will happen in the next couple of weeks.
this will be my 3rd full winter season in the PDX/gorge area. if you plan on doing it, I would recommend the drysuit direction. for me ocean rodeo has built a product that has extended the kiting season down here.
if you do prefer the wetsuit option, plan on spending your 5-6 times a year kiting specifically in the astoria ponds. you can totally get away with that setup in the winter there.

WindSki wrote:
The above is great, but don't forget the Promotion 6/4 is $280 list price!
Smile

I was impressed with that price so checked out the website. it's actually $180!
http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-past-season-6-4mm-charger-hooded-fullsuit-black-f90/

other good site with deals are our friends in washington state at urban surf and kitepaddlesurf in bellingham. both have pretty good deals on thick suits and drysuits that won't set you back too much

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 10:35 am     Reply with quote

Caution: greedy retailer post below Wink

This is about as easy as it gets:

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
463 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

That really needed some stripper music.

What's that dry suit go for?

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 23, 15 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

If you are looking at ocean rodeo drysuits I would recommend the heat suit over the soul. I have the soul suit and have problems with the pee zipper seams leaking. I sent the first one back and got a new suit under warranty. The second suit I got started leaking also after a few sessions.

While ocean rodeo would warranty the second suit I didn't want to send it back so they could look at it. I repaired it myself after talking with the ocean rodeo Rep. but it still leaks a little bit. It doesn't leak enough I am concerned but I am not bone dry after a session.

I have never used the pee hole and don't think it's an option worth the extra money or risk it will leak.

John

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 24, 15 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm gonna wait for some dry suit deals. As I get older, I like to be warm. A dry suit will hopefully get me out there a few more days per year. Now I just need to find one in my budget! Maybe I can find a demo to check one out...

Cheers!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 24, 15 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Amazon the prices on Ocean Rodeo stuff changes a lot. Last year ocean rodeo drysuit prices dropped below $400 for certain sizes and colors.

John

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostWed Nov 25, 15 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Watch steep and cheap and whiskey militia for xcel deals...6/5 Infiniti 199...5/4 revolt 275....cheapest I've seen lately. You can set an email alert at sacalerts.com

Long time xcel fan....but really like my ripcurl flash bomb.

Never tried patagonia suit...but their gloves are best I've tried.

Drysuit. ..an older friend commented on this being a problem as the prostate starts acting up. Wink

mbevo

Since 22 Apr 2015
39 Posts
Portland

PostSat Dec 05, 15 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

just tested the patagonia kiting drysuit today at rooster

amazing. wasn't a drop in the suit even with some hard crashes, no sweat either and comfy enough for me to drive home with it.

only downside - zipper is a pain in the butt to close (thanks john!), i tried to lengthen it with a lanyard but doesn't seem to help all that much either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: