Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Blue Dream Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Djicarus

Since 10 Nov 2015
2 Posts
Denver Colorado

PostTue Nov 10, 15 7:54 pm    Blue Dream Costa Rica Reply with quote

Heading here in January.. Never been.. any advice from anyone that has been there?

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Nov 10, 15 10:39 pm     Reply with quote

I stayed at nearby Ecoplaya Beach Resort on Bahia de Salinas back in March 2008. Very cool, somewhat remote part of Costa Rica. The wind was a bit light when I was there, but I still had a couple good days. Do the day-trip excursion to Grenada, Nicaragua - well worth it. Lake Arenal is also an amazing spot and it was crazy windy the whole time I was there.
- Bob

JayDelViento

Since 20 Jun 2010
36 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Nov 12, 15 10:26 pm    Try Bob Selfridge at Playa Copal Kitesurfing Reply with quote

Ecoplaya is OK for windsurfers (hardly any go out for some reason) but the real action for kiting is at Playa Copal. Blue Dream seems OK but is located some distance from the beach. They run a shuttle to Playa Copal every day but that means you are on their schedule and not your own. I have rented house or duplex right on the beach when I went and recommend that. The wind blows (HARD) all day and night. First trip we stayed 21 days and only had 3 days we did not ride. You want to be able to wander down to the beach and launch whenever the spirit strikes you!

I have worked through Bob Selfridge at Cometa Copal a couple of trips and have had a great experience. I rented Villa Rana Verde a couple of years ago -- nice house for 2 couples with its own pool. Also rented Casa Simone A from Bob the first trip which is literally steps from the beach -- many great memories of cuba libres on our porch with the whole kite community (did I mention that a crowded day is 30 kites on the bay?). Also has smaller hotel-like rooms caled the Cabinas right next to the only restaurant. I am pretty sure Bob has new places to rent this year. I got some email from him recently that he is going to offer kiting trips into Nicaragua this season as well. Pretty tempting.

Kitehouse also has a place there -- Kent ran it at one time and was quite friendly. That facility is more of a dorm with shared kitchen and very inexpensive as I recall.

Hope all this helps. I recommend you get in touch with Bob Selfridge at Cometa Copal Kitesurfing (if Facebook fails you, PM me and I'll send you his email. Not sure he'd want me to post it. Pretty sure he has posted here on NWKites in the past; try the search function).

-Jay

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostFri Nov 13, 15 7:24 am     Reply with quote

I second the Bob Selfridge recommendation. We stayed in the Cabinas and they were great. He is on facebook under Cometa Copal.

groundclown

Since 12 May 2007
135 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Nov 30, 15 10:54 pm     Reply with quote

Cometa copal! Get in touch with Bob. My son and I lived there for a season before moving to Nicaragua. If you go to Nicaragua you must hit Ometepe island ( there is kiting to be had at the ferry launch in san Jorge and on the east side of the island), Granada, and if you are looking to party, san Juan del Sur.

Foster

Since 05 Jan 2016
6 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jan 05, 16 4:30 pm    Blue Dream Hotel Reply with quote

Just got back from two weeks at Blue Dream Hotel. We had a great time and recommend staying there. They have the best launch site, lunch at the beach delivered, and great crew helping and teaching. The wind did truly blow hard every day and night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: