Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui for beg/int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 22, 15 8:54 am    Maui for beg/int Reply with quote

So, My lady is coming to maui with me. She can get out and back, not really stay up wind that well.
Any suggestions on where to kite besides Kihea? Is there a beg area down there, or is it best to let her kite earlier in the day, so there is less traffic.

Thanks

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostThu Oct 22, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

kanaha beach park is your best be on the north shore, I don't think kihei is a good idea.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Oct 22, 15 9:38 am     Reply with quote

It is my understanding the kiting is not allowed until after 11 am. I would not consider Kihei a beginner friendly spot. The wind is flukey, sometimes slightly offshore; the reef can be a problem at certain tides; and the wind can shut off quickly there. The last time I kited Kihei - I ended up about a mile downwind of my launch point when the wind decided to quit all of a sudden.

As suggested above - I think Kanaha is your best bet. Get there at 11 am. There will be more support around, and if she has trouble staying upwind - she will just end up down near kite beach where they do lessons and stuff.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 22, 15 9:39 am     Reply with quote

stay away from Kihei - fickle winds and it can blow side off. there's no easy landing spot if she gets blown downwind.
your best bet is kite beach at Kanaha - park at the big parking lot where you see local Hawaiians camping next to the beach. Look for the row of porta potties along the road - that's the parking lot you want.
The beginner area is inside the reef, away from the breaking waves.
Try to arrive at the beach before noon. preferably around 11 if the wind is up.
take some chairs, pack a lunch, hang out under the big tree. this is "Old Man's" beach.
the whole stretch of kite beach is slightly wind sheltered and can be a challenge to launch. trade winds blow from the ENE.
If the wind is clocking too much out of the east it can be gusty and holey on the beach (easty beasty). Just like the grassy launch at the event site.
have her start as far upwind as possible - at the top of the beach closest to the lifeguard tower....
once she has the kite in the air she should get in the water as fast as possible and body drag out 50 yards to the good wind, with the board before she attempts to water start.
she should know how to body drag with the board pointing out to sea. if she doesn't you need to teach her this skill.
most beginners have problems because they stand around the water's edge or try to water start right next to the sand,.....and their kite falls out of the sky.
at this spot if she has trouble, she can drift a few hundred yards downwind and still have sandy beach to come into.
you should be prepared to stay on the beach while she's out her first few times to assist her if she needs help.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostThu Oct 22, 15 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Share sentiment - kite Kanaha - early in the morning (11 as others have hit) the winds are usually slightly less juiced but steady to work on staying upwind...and fortunately big areas are out there with little to no breakers.

Like others have said worst case is she ends up downwind. Just try to not get so far that she has to scurry along the lava rocks near the water plant....and fence while carrying a kite (been there done that back in the day) Embarassed

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 22, 15 11:40 am     Reply with quote

WINDUDE wrote:
kanaha beach park is your best be on the north shore, I don't think kihei is a good idea.

I meant Kanaha, thanks tho

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 22, 15 11:43 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
stay away from Kihei - fickle winds and it can blow side off. there's no easy landing spot if she gets blown downwind.
your best bet is kite beach at Kanaha - park at the big parking lot where you see local Hawaiians camping next to the beach. Look for the row of porta potties along the road - that's the parking lot you want.
The beginner area is inside the reef, away from the breaking waves.
Try to arrive at the beach before noon. preferably around 11 if the wind is up.
take some chairs, pack a lunch, hang out under the big tree. this is "Old Man's" beach.
the whole stretch of kite beach is slightly wind sheltered and can be a challenge to launch. trade winds blow from the ENE.
If the wind is clocking too much out of the east it can be gusty and holey on the beach (easty beasty). Just like the grassy launch at the event site.
have her start as far upwind as possible - at the top of the beach closest to the lifeguard tower....
once she has the kite in the air she should get in the water as fast as possible and body drag out 50 yards to the good wind, with the board before she attempts to water start.
she should know how to body drag with the board pointing out to sea. if she doesn't you need to teach her this skill.
most beginners have problems because they stand around the water's edge or try to water start right next to the sand,.....and their kite falls out of the sky.
at this spot if she has trouble, she can drift a few hundred yards downwind and still have sandy beach to come into.
you should be prepared to stay on the beach while she's out her first few times to assist her if she needs help.

Thanks for that info. I would watch her while she is sessioning. Great info all thanks again.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 11, 15 7:28 am     Reply with quote

I agree on kanaha. If she can't stay upwind - start at "old man's" and have a bail out plan to come into kite beach if needed. It isn't ideal, but coming in a lot of places have serious rocks etc. Also know where the reefs and shallow areas are prior to heading out. Unfortunately, the wind close to shore is generally flukey, so she will need to go out a bit.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 11, 15 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, it all worked out. She took a bunch of lessons. Had killer wind and swell.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Nov 11, 15 10:09 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Thanks, it all worked out. She took a bunch of lessons. Had killer wind and swell.

Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: