Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS Wave Sizing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Nov 02, 15 1:35 pm    SS Wave Sizing Reply with quote

I've heard from a few reviews that the Wave SST sizing runs a little small (especially compared to the 2013-2016 Rally's). How do they compare to the 2014 RPM? So if I want the next kite up from my 8m RPM, is that the 10m Wave?

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hey man, the 2016 Slingshot Wave SST is a powerful kite. If people are kiting on the same type of board as you (i.e. twin tip vs. surfies etc.) you could probably get away with one or two sizes smaller of a kite. Or you can just ride overpowered and go on the same size kite

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 02, 15 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

I believe the Wave only comes in 6,8,10 & 12 so yes the next size up from your 8 would have to be the 10. 8 to 12 is to big a jump, 8 to 8 is just silly. Really fun kite and has enough low end because it is quick turning with a steady pull... if you like to fly it and not just want to park it. To park and ride for low end get the Rally.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostMon Nov 02, 15 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

So if you compare an RPM and a Wave of the same size, do they both feel like they fly a little small?

I totally hear what you're saying about needing to fly the kite and that it'll generate plenty of power if you want to actually fly it. Sounds a bit like the RPM, but my 8m RPM has always felt like a 7m to me, so I was just curious about anyone's opinion who has flown both (I haven't yet.)

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 03, 15 6:27 am     Reply with quote

to me, compared to other kites i have flown
the RPM feels a bit small
the Wave feels about the same
the new Rally feels a bit big
YMMV

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 03, 15 6:56 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
to me, compared to other kites i have flown
the RPM feels a bit small
the Wave feels about the same
the new Rally feels a bit big
YMMV

This has been my same reaction.
It really depends what you are comparing it to. A lot of companies make big kites and the riders proclaim great low end! Laughing
I feel like the Wave is true to size.

It's a really stable kite. Incredible in light air. It just sits up there with very little bar input. Doesn't drop to either side, doesn't overfly, just waits for you. I don't foil but I suspect it would be a great kite for light air foiling.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostTue Nov 03, 15 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Thanks! That's really helpful. I used to fly Peter Lynn arcs and I loved their ability to just sit at zenith and wait for you to do something. It was especially useful while landboarding. It was something I lost in the transition to LEIs, so it'd be nice to have some of that back.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Nov 03, 15 10:41 am     Reply with quote

Waves are true to size. The beautiful thing about the Wave is they give you constant and steady pull so it feels like you're riding with a pulley-bar, but without the heavy bar pressure. It's the easiest kite I've ever flown to achieve true free-riding conditions as it cleanly shoots you in and out of gusty gorge swell with very little input.

When you first ride one your timing has to adjust because the power just keeps rolling on. People with shorter arms are switching to small chicken loops to give them as much throw as possible to try and slow it down. However, once you're timing adjusts go back to your RPM, or Rally, and you'll quickly notice just how clean and precise the Wave is through the entire window. If you unhook a lot...the Wave is not for you so keep your RPM. The Rally is safe and steady, great beginner/boosting kite. The Wave is fast...and then the turbo boost kicks in kind of feeling.

Last edited by Sella on Tue Nov 03, 15 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 03, 15 11:17 am     Reply with quote

I have the 10m Wave and think of it as a 9m. It is just like the RPM.... to perform well, it needs to be LIT for freestyle.

Its got great drift, fairly fast, (although slow as hell compared to a 2010-12 Rally) and boosts well if LIT, very smooth kite. I have not tried unhooking yet.

Also love the new inflation system and bar.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 03, 15 12:29 pm    2016 SST blended with Rally's Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:

Its got great drift, fairly fast, (although slow as hell compared to a 2010-12 Rally)

I hear you confirming; as with all kites - larger is slower.

Two Solutions:

1. Increasing the turning speed/agility of the large size SST’s.
a. Has anyone tried to over size the bar (increased bar length) to speed up the turning of the 2016 SST?

2. A blended quiver:
a. Have you tested the "New"....Dang!...I mean the 2016 Rally against the "fast" (agile) standard 2010-2012 Rally?
b. In this case is it wise to use 2016 SST only in small sizes; because small is agile enough to generate immediate apparent wind/power. Then for the large end of the quiver use quicker turning 2016 Rallys or 2010-2012 Rallys.

Last edited by Kmun on Wed Nov 04, 15 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 04, 15 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Proletariat wrote:
Thanks! That's really helpful. I used to fly Peter Lynn arcs and I loved their ability to just sit at zenith and wait for you to do something. It was especially useful while landboarding. It was something I lost in the transition to LEIs, so it'd be nice to have some of that back.

Yeah, nothing truly compares to those PL Arcs. I used to see people just attach the CL to their trailer hitch while they stopped for lunch. Kite would sit up there like a day at the beach. I've yet to see any other power kite do that.

Wave is pretty sweet though. I was out last weekend on a day when I mostly didn't have wind to ride. I just walked around the water, occasionally riding, kite behaving. I could almost ignore it.

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostWed Nov 04, 15 11:26 am    Re: 2016 SST blended with Rally's Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
... a. Has anyone tried an over sized / increased length bar to speed up the turn of the 2016 SST?... [/b].

The Wave SST 10m is my big kite. With a Surfboard I ride it with the 20inch bar and 20m lines. I tried it with the original bar setting (20i/23m) but thought that was a bit slow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: