Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dominican Republic questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostMon Sep 21, 15 11:10 pm    Dominican Republic questions Reply with quote

Heading down in January to Cabarete and I need some advice on where to stay. Kites, surfboards and the wife.
Stay near Cabarete at a place on Punta Goleta (Seawinds or Ocean Dreams or Ocean One) or should I be up by Kite Beach more? I'd like to walk into town for dinner, etc but I also want to be able to kite some waves. I prefer not to rent a car. It looks like a few easy tacks for wherever you want to kite.
Thanks for the input.

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 21, 15 11:56 pm     Reply with quote

Last February we were in Cabarete and we had 14 days of wind and waves. We stayed at the Millenium resort / hotel. It has a great infiniti pool, and ok restaurant, massage, and a hot tub. The price was right at about $100 US per night after a discount for 2 weeks stay. It's super clean and modern.

But the best part is that the Laurel Eastman kite school is located right below the pool on the beach. They provided information about the reef, hazards, wind condition reports, lockers, and a running tab for sunscreen, beer and snacks, if the fresh fruit fr the vendors isn't enough.

It's a little more family oriented, but the location is the best at Bozo beach. There is an open mile before you get to the reef, and inside the reef area the waves are still great but you're totally protected from sea critters coral and rips, and you can get an occasional flat(ish) water session in. Or you can kite directly out to the reef for big wave action. The one thing I was told is that outside the reef the current goes out to sea so if the wind dies and you're a mile out on the other other side of the reef, you'll just drift away and no one can see you past the break. But as I said they give you the lay of the land.

I think it's way better at Bozo then Kitebeach because of the open water before the reef. Kitebeach is more locked in with the reef right past the shorebreak, and all the kites looked very crowded right there. Plus another bonus is if you stay at Bozo beach, you're then much closer to the restaurants on the beach in down town, it's a 10 - 15 minute stroll down the beach to town instead of a cab or motoconcho ride. And out the back gate is Gordito's awesome and cheap fish tacos and such and the hotel one over away from town has traditional music some nights for dancing. Ok, you can tell we really loved it. I want to go back!

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 22, 15 9:59 am    Agualina Reply with quote

We stayed at the Agualina and really liked it. Don't let the local kids rig for you !

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostWed Sep 23, 15 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Anybody got any friends with places for rent?

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 23, 15 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

I think its worth the short cab ride to stay at kite beach. All of the kite beach hotels are good but I personally recommend kitexcite because of the nice beach front bar/patio that you will be spending most of your time on - waiting for wind.

Deciding between a kite beach hotel and any other Cabarete hotel has more to do with who you want to be surrounded by. Stay at a kite beach hotel and 100% of the people at the place are there to chase extreme sports in an exotic location. Stay elsewhere and you are surrounded by folks who come all the way to the DR to lay in the sun and drink pina coladas.

There is a great little youtube video on Cabarete worth checking out:
"Susi Mai Cabarete Kite Spots" Though in Jan you will be focused on kite beach instead of the other spots profiled....

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Sep 23, 15 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

Actually that isn't true for the Millenium, maybe it's an exception to the rule. With the Laurel eastman Kite Center a part of the hotel, it was almost all kiters. But we preferred to hang out at the downtown beach restaurants than the hotel. Kitebeach does have the reputation as the kiting scene... I guess hence the name! If you want something totally different there's also playa encuentro which is home to the coco pipeline surf wave. There is a place called Natura Cabanas that has amazing food, seclusion in the forest, they grow their own food, beautiful cabanas nestled in gardens, and a huge outdoor yoga studio. Lot's of choices, and they're all good!

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 24, 15 9:59 am     Reply with quote

And if you want cheap, including super cheap (hostels) look right down town Cabarete either on the beach or even cheaper on the main drag... it's still a very good location, everything from downtown to bozo beach to kitebeach is walking distance on the waterfront or a short motoconcho ride away at worst. Or just get your kite launched and go wherever you want.

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostThu Sep 24, 15 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

We opted for the Millennium. Thanks for all the advice, I was told most of the sand at Kite Beach is gone after the last hurricane hit.
For those that have kited in Jan/Feb I'm assuming 8/10/12 is sufficient with surfboards? Or is a 6 needed too?

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 24, 15 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

I was on my 10 and 12 on my twin tip. I think I used a 9 once in 14 days. If that helps.

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 25, 15 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

I stayed in seawinds at punta goleta and it's super nice. They are all condos mostly privately owned by rich Dominicans. The place is super clean they have the biggest and most empty beach in all of Cabarete since there a no immediate neighbors.

It's a super nice setup. If you have a ground floor condo you just walk out and pump up. Very nice pool as well. They don't have any amenities such as bar good etc. Since it's mostly rich Dominicans that own the place is basically empty on the weekdays with only a few foreign people staying there. It's on the pricier side but compared to other tropical locales it's a great deal.

Kite beach is way overcrowded...we did diwnwinder all week and we were the only ones. It seems that everyone wants to kite in the same 1/4 mile on kite beach

Get a taxi to drop you off at la Boca then kite downwind and finish at el Encuentro it's about 10 miles. Then call another cab to take you home. Taxis aren't cheap but if you use the same guy all the time they are very willing to bargain

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 30, 15 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Kite beach cabarete was crowded in 2003 when I learned there. Doubt its better now.
I stayed in town at a hotel basically across the street from the happy surf franchise where I rented ws gear for days I didn't take lessons. Lots of eurons. Learned to kite at kb. It was fun. Flat so never made it to encuentro. Have to go back some time.

Fun facts: you can rent a 100cc scooter with knobby tires (albeit small) no license no prob, good for 50-60mph donkey dodging.
Also, go in the cave and swim in the aquifer. Why not

..but really I want to check out encuentro with a little swell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: