Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil board wisdom wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 25, 15 4:55 pm    Foil board wisdom wanted Reply with quote

Need to get into the foil board scene. As a competent kiter, is it better to get a "beginner" board or go for a more high performance foil to grow into? I understand the sensitivity to brand vs brand issues. But any suggestions would be not only be appreciated, it would also be potentially useful!
Last edited by caps on Fri Sep 25, 15 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Sep 25, 15 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

go talk to pepi at second wind!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 25, 15 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

What you want to achieve will affect your board/foil choice. Wave/Freestyle/Race all have optimal board and foil configurations. A cheap second hand LF will get you going but understand you will likely sell it once you have some skill.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 25, 15 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Ok. Not wave - I'd ride my surfboard then. What would be a recommendation for someone who wants to simply Jibe and jump. Or are they all the same?

undem

Since 18 Feb 2011
28 Posts

PostSat Sep 26, 15 11:35 am     Reply with quote

A short foil specific board with volume will ease the learning. I went with more of a medium aspect/free ride foil than beginner/ultra low aspect foil and am happy with decision. The amount of learning days seem similar to other foils setups, but I know I won't be searching for a replacement soon as it seems many do with some learning/very low aspect foils.
Tod
Example of low(left) to high aspect, don't know the brands, just a photo.

image.jpg 

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 26, 15 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Happy to answer any questions if you wish at the shop, or PM me.

Regarding the Liquid Force Foil, I would beg to differ on buying and selling this one so fast.
It is the strongest and most affordable foil that is also a modular kit, in that you can upgrade the wings to medium or high aspect models (or even any future unplanned designs) without having to buy an entire new foil set up. Henceforth losing money each time you buy and sell your set up.

Durability-wise, the aluminum foil sets have been able to take quite a bit more of a beating from sandbar users as well. We've gotten probably a little over a dozen phone calls from customers with blown out carbon foils (Side note - carbon foils are all made well, and adequately strong. The problem is most directly related to user abuse and lack of patience when riding near shorelines.)

Yes, the basic Liquid Force Funfoil is not a race foil, by far.
It is a fun foil for learning, playing, freestyle, slashing, lightwind and touring/distance foiling.

If you are already tacking, jibing and are moving on to high aspect foil or speed kites, then the LF basic foil set up will not meet your performance needs/goals (however the new wings will work quite nicely, or more specifically with higher aspect/faster kites).

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 26, 15 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

If you go with the Liquid Force system... at the very least I would advice you look over upgrade provided in the 2016 with the adjustable track for the foil/mast base-plate mounting.
I'm a special case in regards to being a slow learner. But, I'm fairly certain I could have saved a few sessions of suffering had I the ability to move the foil mast back further than the original LF design.
In my experience it just felt to weird leaning so much pressure on the front foot as needed in the original FoilFish. This experience has been shared by many others I've talked with.
The concept of a hybrid-combo also seems intriguing. Several companies (Axis, LF, Cabrinha) are coming out with a system which incorporates a high-end directional surfboard for when the wind cranks in the afternoon (sans foil).... but wait...it's also the same board you had a blast on this morning in 10mph winds glass (w/foil).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: